Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have to say that all your responses make me feel a whole lot better. Thank you all.

I have mixed feelings about this. In a way, I don't have any desires of getting to know this gentleman better, even though he had quite a few things to say. He has a lot of interests, is quite successful in his career field. I tried to remember what my mom said, "After you reach certain age, all men look the same." I don't think I can get pass the physical attraction thing.

I mean he does not have to be hot, but he has to be cute in my eyes. This guy I am sure is cute in other women's eyes, but he is too short for me, he is 5 7 with shoes on I am 5 9 also, that bad breath thing is a little bit of a turn off to me too.

He thought we had great connection, that is what he said at the end of the conversation. I feel kind of bad about the whole thing.

Don't let the other crazy people on here tell you that you're a bad person for wanting someone you're attracted to. I guarantee you all the people that spout off that stuff about how looks don't mean anything to them, would never date a person they really found unattractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,207,151 times
Oh hell no lol. But I'm just being honest, i predict there are going to be many people in this thread that will tell you they would but if the opportunity presented itself they would decline.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM

333 posts, read 310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I sort of did a thread like this a while back. My answer is NO ... 98 times out of 100.

I don't like self help books, but I once walked into B&N and there was one of those round tables with on sale books. On the table was a Barbara DeAngelis book, of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" fame. The thought that the schlocky couple of Gray-DeAngelis (you should read their "interesting" backgrounds on Wiki, not to mention their many divorces) making beaucoup bucks on their garbage is sad. At any rate, the book was called "Are You the One for Me?" I picked it up and it magically opened to a page. On that page, someone asked the question 'You know, I met this chick, we really get along, we complete each other's sentences, and we have so much in common, but I'm just not that attracted to her. Should I go forward?' She said 'No.' You don't need to buy her book to know the common sense answer to that conundrum.
Agree that there has to be physical attraction, but disagree that you have to be physically attracted to each other the first time you meet. Sometimes attraction grows over time. Nevertheless, you still need it.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,553,970 times
I know this won't be a popular comment but sometimes we as women will over look a guy's level of attractiveness IF he can provide a nice lifestyle based on his financial prowess.

Happens ALL of the time. How do you think that physically unattractive, fat men can have beautiful wives/girlfriends? Its not their attractive looks but their attractive wallets.

ETA: some will call this (women chosing men based on his bank account as) "gold digging" yet will have no problem with men only wanting "hot" women.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,783,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Okay, so I met up with a gentleman for a casual date today. I met him on match.com. The date is okay, it last about 1 hour.

Well,. I know I am going to receive a lot of harsh critisms, but oh what the hell. The problem is that I don't find him to be physically attractive.

First of all, I am about 2 inches taller than him. Secondly, he has slight bad breath.

My question is that have you dated somebody you are not physically attracted to? Do you normally give them second chance? Can you learn to love them in the future?

Let me know your thoughts please.
Sure, you can learn to love him, but will you be able to fall in love with him?

I think the two are necessary if a romantic relationship is your goal with him.

I once went on a date with a guy who I met online several years ago, and let's just say, that the pic he posted online DID NOT REPRESENT the person in front of me .He was kind enough, but during the entire date, I kept remindng myself that looks aren't everything, and that I, too, could "grow to love him." But I knew in my heart that I was not attracted to him (physically) and that to try and force myself to somehow push through and develop a relationship with him would be dishonest to not only him, but obviously to myself as well.

I wasn't being picky, as I knew that I wasn't a victoria's secret supermodel. But the physical attraction just wasn't there. I knew that I couldn't fall in love with him.

Unfortunately, I later learned that he turned out to have a psychiatric disorder and was on meds. All that combined sealed the deal that he was NOT the one for me.

If you think there's a possibility that you'd like to give this guy a second chance, then go for it and give him the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, let him know early on that things, from your end, are not working out.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM

333 posts, read 310,798 times
The groom in this picture is a billionaire named Mark Kvamme.

https://graph.facebook.com/560613160/picture?type=large

Alternate picture of husband and wife:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jumpsta...n/photostream/

Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM

39,256 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Don't let the other crazy people on here tell you that you're a bad person for wanting someone you're attracted to. I guarantee you all the people that spout off that stuff about how looks don't mean anything to them, would never date a person they really found unattractive.

Thank you so much for this. I really question myself and wonder if I am just some shallow *******. But the problem is that I just canot find myself to be excited about this gentleman. I mean he is a great catch according to common standard. But this whole physical thing is hard to overlook.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
The groom in this picture is a billionaire named Mark Kvamme.

https://graph.facebook.com/560613160/picture?type=large

Alternate picture of husband and wife:

All sizes | Ray Leach, Megan Browning and Mark Kvamme | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mark Kvamme is not unattractive at all and sorry to say his bride is not all that hot. If I don't know his billionair status, by only looking at this photo that you posted, I'd say Happy compatible adorable couple

He is taller than her, he is fit, what is wrong with him? He is not that bad at all. She is not all that.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
You can fall in love with someone that you had not felt initial attraction for, certainly. Over time, you can develop an attraction, surely you know that? It happens ALL the time.

That said, if this is not a person that is in your normal circle, and you don't find him at all appealing, then why on earth bother? Keep looking.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Oh hell no lol. But I'm just being honest, i predict there are going to be many people in this thread that will tell you they would but if the opportunity presented itself they would decline.
exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships