Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alou703 View Post
I dont understand why some people cry over breakups with their bf or gf.What is the point of crying for days weeks or even months. My bestfriend broke up with her bf a few months ago and she is still not over it. I dont get it. I told her life goes on and to suck it up get over it and move on. There are so manyother fish in the sea. She was really getting on my nerves and I am trying to help her. For me Its just a waste of time to cry. I dont believe in that broken heart mess with a bf or gf. So how can I help my friend forget and get over this guy already. She needs to stop acting like a cry baby.
alou703, not everyone is a realist like you..some people are very sensitive and their feelings are very deep and consuming. The best thing you can do for your friend is to listen to her and try to help her move on gently. Let her cry if she must. There's a lot of people who [really] invest a lot of themselves into a relationship, and sometimes they [really] believe it will last. When it doesn't they are shocked and may feel their hopes and dreams are dashed. She'll learn from this, and "get over this" sooner than later. Just try and divert her from thinking of him when you're with her..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Honestly? I think you should just stay as far away from your friend as possible right now and let other people fill the void. Your capacity for empathy and compassion appear to be nonexistent, and you're not going to learn it in time to be of use to her. You will likely do more damage than good.
+1

I agree with this post.
OP, you come across more than a little bit insensitive. Give your friend time to grieve her loss. The younger the person, or the worse the break up, the harder it is to recover.
Just because you handle break ups one way, doesnt mean your friend is wrong in handling it her way. Simply put, some people handle breakups differently than others.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,138 times
You can't understand it!!!!!! lolzzzz

Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
I was going to snag this thread title, but it was taken...so here I am!

I'm sort of in a break-up situation, too...(I think)....guy I was seeing has not returned phone calls or responded to an "I miss you/please call me" card I sent him. I was out of town for two weekends...was hoping to get back in touch this past week...

Sort of an odd way to call it off. I kinda like an "exit interview". Any opinions on breaking up?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM

246 posts, read 387,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I was going to snag this thread title, but it was taken...so here I am!

I'm sort of in a break-up situation, too...(I think)....guy I was seeing has not returned phone calls or responded to an "I miss you/please call me" card I sent him. I was out of town for two weekends...was hoping to get back in touch this past week...

Sort of an odd way to call it off. I kinda like an "exit interview". Any opinions on breaking up?
There probably isn't a good or right way to dump someone. It's tough for the dumpee no matter what assuming they didn't see it coming.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 AM

I ...sort of...saw it coming and was actually thinking about it during this break, but decided I really wanted to keep the relatioship going....

I figure my being apart for the past two weekends and the week inbetween sort was a signal to him, and he took it...but not quite what I had in mind.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Hard not to be sad when you experience a loss.
Especially if it was something important to you.
However, I think people's biggest problem is putting the sad events of their lives in perspective.
They are terrible about that and tend to wallow.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM

There is a grieving process that takes time and it depends on the person and the feelings. No two people are alike nor are relationships that one person has alike. If there were deep feelings then there will be grief and it takes time to get through that.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM

What i dont like it is that this isnt a clean cut.

Last bf dumped me via a phonecall...'just not working out'....which i knew it wasnt, really, but he made the break, more final.

I think in this case my feelings were deepr or it was a better match...I was the one thinking of ending it, but then....decided to keep it going...but then this "cut off contact" thing...so not as clean a break, and also something I wanted to keep up.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
What i dont like it is that this isnt a clean cut.

Last bf dumped me via a phonecall...'just not working out'....which i knew it wasnt, really, but he made the break, more final.

I think in this case my feelings were deepr or it was a better match...I was the one thinking of ending it, but then....decided to keep it going...but then this "cut off contact" thing...so not as clean a break, and also something I wanted to keep up.
Take heart as you're not alone. Dumpees have it worse emotionally in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships