Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times

Advertisements

...While right now I live in an apartment that most people would consider a symptom of poverty. My mattress is on the floor (uncomfortable for most people too), closet is 80% empty (style is simple), no tv (I just don't watch it anymore)... Most girls don't like this at all but what can you do when you live as a student that has a low-paying job, with no support from parents...

...I can honestly say that I will most likely put a down payment on a house before I will find someone worth marrying, given my current track record.

...I do not have much demand for a house, other than a good kitchen and plenty of outdoor space.
...I also won't have much furniture (mattress, bookshelf, and a dining table) until I am committed. I have talent in interior design, so I will wait to buy furniture so the style of the house will fit all of the wants of its inhabitants (and not waste dollars)...

...I am a simple man, and my hobbies are CHEAP, so there is plenty of room for spending money prior to any children.

...With that said, what do women want in a house? I've heard of his and hers sinks, plenty of closet space, open concept...

..Or should I just rent until I am married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
You're a student. Why would you have a house? Why would anyone expect you to?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Watch the show "House hunters" and you'll get an idea of what women like.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,799 times
You should stop thinking that your value to a women is measured by your assets. While true there are many that look at a man based on the size of his wallet, there are other qualities in a man that can capture a woman's attention.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
I am 32 years old now. I've been married for just over 7 years. I have three kids, and a solid career. I've earned over $100k for about 3 or 4 years now. I just bought my first house this year. It's a pretty nice house, and it's big, too. My wife loves it, my kids love it, and I love it. It was worth waiting for.

I've wanted to buy a house ever since I was married. It just wasn't a realistic goal until recently. It also took some convincing to get my wife on board. She's a little younger than I am, (26) and is a SAHM. I explained to her at one point that for me, being where I am in my personal and professional life, buying a house was clearly the next step. This combined with some other factors involving a dishonest and incompetent landlord (long story) helped her come around.

You are a student. Don't worry about buying a house now. Make sure that you have a job and some savings before you take this step. No woman who dates a student really expects him to own a home at that stage in his life. I'm glad I waited as long as I did. If you wait, I'm sure you will be too.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Seems like you're overthinking.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
You should stop thinking that your value to a women is measured by your assets. While true there are many that look at a man based on the size of his wallet, there are other qualities in a man that can capture a woman's attention.
This.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I'm 36 and just bought my first house. I was living a lot like you up until a few years ago. Didn't mind it at all. Even today, most of my furniture is Ikea or used stuff I've accumulated from yard sales and relative's castoffs. I don't have any need to impress anyone.

Why don't you just worry about having fun and enjoying your youth rather than worrying about some theoretical woman who doesn't have the means or ambition to buy her own damn house?

Get married and buy a house with your partner. Or don't get married and buy a house that suits you. But don't make plans for someone you haven't met yet.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
...While right now I live in an apartment that most people would consider a symptom of poverty. My mattress is on the floor (uncomfortable for most people too), closet is 80% empty (style is simple), no tv (I just don't watch it anymore)... Most girls don't like this at all but what can you do when you live as a student that has a low-paying job, with no support from parents...

...I can honestly say that I will most likely put a down payment on a house before I will find someone worth marrying, given my current track record.

...I do not have much demand for a house, other than a good kitchen and plenty of outdoor space.
...I also won't have much furniture (mattress, bookshelf, and a dining table) until I am committed. I have talent in interior design, so I will wait to buy furniture so the style of the house will fit all of the wants of its inhabitants (and not waste dollars)...

...I am a simple man, and my hobbies are CHEAP, so there is plenty of room for spending money prior to any children.

...With that said, what do women want in a house? I've heard of his and hers sinks, plenty of closet space, open concept...

..Or should I just rent until I am married?
I'm sure glad you told us you were single. I was wondering with all that you mentioned.

I would suggest you go to her place.

You think you are going to impress her with a house?? I think you need to work on yourself and your living conditions for yourself... Not anyone else or to impress someone.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
When you are ready to buy a house, purchase one that YOU like...not one that will impress a girl. Until you meet that girl, you have no idea what her preference will be and not all women think alike. That is not something that can be answered on a message board.

You can always sell it and buy a house that meets the needs of both you and your spouse in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships