Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
That's the bottom line.

Science is real, kids, whether you think so or not. Even posting random GIF files found on the interwebs won't change reality, as it turns out. Crazy, huh?
In the name of "science," why don't you repost the same question here on this board?

Even if you only get 20 replies, the ratio would be a lot higher than what was gotten out of the original "study." 20/200=10% 349/30000000 = a little over 1 millionth of a %

Part of the scientific study is retesting hypotheses, to see if you can come up with a consistent conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
In the name of "science," why don't you repost the same question here on this board?
That wouldn't be very scientific for several reasons, sampling error being a big one.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post

Even if you only get 20 replies, the ratio would be a lot higher than what was gotten out of the original "study." 20/200=10% 349/30000000 = a little over 1 millionth of a %

Part of the scientific study is retesting hypotheses, to see if you can come up with a consistent conclusion.
Exactly!

Not to mention somebody already pointed out "People lie on surveys".

Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 AM

People tend to up their own status and deflate that of others," said panelist Stephen Ceci, Cornell professor of developmental psychology, and that could be one reason people lie on surveys. For example, in surveys of Cornell psychology students in the 1960s, Ceci found that "students systematically put higher SAT scores on their surveys" than those they actually earned.

Another reason why people may lie on surveys, Ceci said, is that survey questions may "engender a conscious protective or defensive response." People may not want others to know something about them or may be embarrassed by the survey questions.

"It is very difficult to know if someone is lying on a survey, and it should not be readily assumed that lying is occurring," said panelist Norbert Schwarz, a psychology professor at the University of Michigan. "People need time to think and respond to questions asked, and if surveys don't allow this, there will inherently be discrepancies in the survey results."
His research, he said, has shown that survey results shift even when people don't lie or don't know how to lie on the surveys.

Quite frankly, asking somebody "Do you fantasize about other people while having sex?" Is a survey, it's hardly science.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-15-2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
People tend to up their own status and deflate that of others," said panelist Stephen Ceci, Cornell professor of developmental psychology, and that could be one reason people lie on surveys. For example, in surveys of Cornell psychology students in the 1960s, Ceci found that "students systematically put higher SAT scores on their surveys" than those they actually earned.

Another reason why people may lie on surveys, Ceci said, is that survey questions may "engender a conscious protective or defensive response." People may not want others to know something about them or may be embarrassed by the survey questions.

"It is very difficult to know if someone is lying on a survey, and it should not be readily assumed that lying is occurring," said panelist Norbert Schwarz, a psychology professor at the University of Michigan. "People need time to think and respond to questions asked, and if surveys don't allow this, there will inherently be discrepancies in the survey results."
His research, he said, has shown that survey results shift even when people don't lie or don't know how to lie on the surveys.

Quite frankly, asking somebody "Do you fantasize about other people while having sex?" Is a survey, it hardly is science.
A "conscious protective or defensive response" and/or the respondents being "embarrassed by the survey questions" would make them less likely to acknowledge fantasizing about others, not more. So if your point was that the 98% and 80% numbers are probably low-end estimates, I agree. I'd say up to 2% of men and 20% of women lied.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
A "conscious protective or defensive response" and/or the respondents being "embarrassed by the survey questions" would make them less likely to acknowledge fantasizing about others, not more. So if your point was that the 98% and 80% numbers are probably low-end estimates, I agree. I'd say up to 2% of men and 20% of women lied.
So either your way or the high way, I get it.

I guess I really have nothing valuable to add at this point.

You are right, I am wrong. I am so sorry to have argued with you.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
what kind of sex are you having that you have to pretend to not be having it?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM

664 posts, read 773,932 times
If I go by what I read on the internet, and I have to because I don't know any females in real life, I imagine a good majority of women are doing it a lot. They don't seem to be very happy with the guys they have.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
women aren't happy, period. if it's not this, it's that...

Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM

11 posts, read 19,368 times
Personally, I think if you have to imagine someone else while you are having sex you need to leave the relationship because that person obviously isn't enough to excite you. Or, you could try to cultivate a deeper mental relationship with the person so the connection will be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships