Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

To those like me, who have never really been in love, or at least a truly 'loving' relationship, whatever that is, how do you feel when people talk about how hard and heart-breaking break-ups are?

I mean it's not something you can talk about from experience right? You could compare it to the grief of losing a loved one, if you've had that experience, but still...does it all sound rather alien and silly to you, or can you imagine how it'd be like?

Has anyone started to become cynical about the very idea of love because it just seems so superficial, you've never had a relationship before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
You made a valid point.
Try explain love to a person who has never been in love (or has never been loved) feels like explaining color to a blind person. They will never understand how it feels to be in love.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Hmm...

I would say this as someone who did not really have a real relationship for a long time and had to make assumptions of how things would feel and such through observation.

There is no replacement for having the experience. As such, I now see how I made a lot of incorrect assumptions about feelings, actions, thoughts, etc. With some things, I made them out to be bigger than I should have, with others, I may not even had considered it.

My advice to you, is to try not and think hypothetically about how you would feel or react in certain situations, like a break up. Doing so only will serve to give you anxiety, which ultimately may affect your getting into a relationship for fear of it ending. Plus, each breakup can be different. The feelings and experiences of losing someone you don't want to lose is much different than those from someone you cannot wait to get away from.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
I disagree. Love is a universal feeling. If you've ever loved and lost a family member or best friend or even a pet, you can understand (at least vaguely) what the feeling is like.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I disagree. Love is a universal feeling. If you've ever loved and lost a family member or best friend or even a pet, you can understand (at least vaguely) what the feeling is like.
I agree here. Everyone has human emotions, and there are many life situations which can cause a person to feel and react to emotions similar or mimicking those of a romantic relationship (for the most part).

Breaking up with a romantic interest will have emotions similar to maybe losing a close or best friend, or a close or loved family member. It is not the same, but it is relatable in some ways.

So I would not say someone is blind.

It's more like riding a bike. Someone can see people doing it all the time, pedalling, steering, etc. They may have rode a big wheel, or something else which is similar. So without further instruction, or explanation, or experience, they kind of get the idea of how to ride a bike anyway. Yet, they will never fully appreciate the balance needed when on a 2 wheel bike, until they get on it.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Hmm...

I would say this as someone who did not really have a real relationship for a long time and had to make assumptions of how things would feel and such through observation.

There is no replacement for having the experience. As such, I now see how I made a lot of incorrect assumptions about feelings, actions, thoughts, etc. With some things, I made them out to be bigger than I should have, with others, I may not even had considered it.

My advice to you, is to try not and think hypothetically about how you would feel or react in certain situations, like a break up. Doing so only will serve to give you anxiety, which ultimately may affect your getting into a relationship for fear of it ending. Plus, each breakup can be different. The feelings and experiences of losing someone you don't want to lose is much different than those from someone you cannot wait to get away from.

agreed!

Feeling, emotion is highly individual.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM

354 posts, read 518,038 times
I actually wish i had never been in love. I am acting bizarrely it's not even funny. It scares me. Especially when dealing with what I am dealing which I have prevented to deal with my whole freaking life.

this is a nightmare. like honestly my life was bliss when i was loveless. i don't like what it's making me do. like a freaking lunatic or maybe coz i haven't had sleep.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
I actually wish i had never been in love. I am acting bizarrely it's not even funny. It scares me. Especially when dealing with what I am dealing which I have prevented to deal with my whole freaking life.

this is a nightmare. like honestly my life was bliss when i was loveless. i don't like what it's making me do. like a freaking lunatic or maybe coz i haven't had sleep.
Infatuation (often confused with love) will also cause this type of behavior.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I know what love feels like, but more love for family, friends, pets, places.etc. With girls it's mostly just liking. There is one girl, a good friend I talk to online, I really get a long well with, but I don't think there's anything romantic there, although I have wondered. I think a part of me is always cynical of any attempt to feel romantic. And besides, it seems I've never had the opportunity to even get to know any women well enough IRL for anything to develop.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM

354 posts, read 518,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Infatuation (often confused with love) will also cause this type of behavior.
No I am dealing with divorce dude. And it is making me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships