Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM

14 posts, read 14,271 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been together for 8 years now. We have been thinking about whether we should get married. Our feelings have mostly been against it because we dont feel the need to tie ourselves together, but we've been recently thinking about the tax implications and next of kin.

When we first met, It was my boyfriend who was persuading me not to do it. I was weary but still didn't think Its important. Now I am sure that we can have a child in 5 years without needing to get married

Whats your take on this?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
If you don't think you want to be "tied together" then don't have a kid. Screw the actual marriage if you like. But don't intentionally bring a kid into an uncommitted relationship.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
You can have a child together, but should you?

You realize that a child will "tie the two of you together" forever.

IMHO, if you can't even commit to being married to each other, you should not have a child.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbrepasser View Post
My partner and I have been together for 8 years now. We have been thinking about whether we should get married. Our feelings have mostly been against it because we dont feel the need to tie ourselves together, but we've been recently thinking about the tax implications and next of kin.

When we first met, It was my boyfriend who was persuading me not to do it. I was weary but still didn't think Its important. Now I am sure that we can have a child in 5 years without needing to get married

Whats your take on this?
When there are children involved - you get married.

This is one of the sole purposes of marriage - to raise children in the most protected environment possible.

Ever watch Judge Judy? She can be very entertaining, lol.

But aside from that, she is VERY informative.

One thing she always stresses to couples who show up in her courtroom that used to live together and have now broken up and are suing each other for various things...there is no court process to aid and protect unmarried people who co-habitate. NONE.

If you live together and he decides he's done and leaves you in the middle of the night with a stack of bills, rent due, a loan you are both supposed to pay back to your grandma, whatever, there is no legal remedy for you to recover any of that.

Be smart, protect yourself and your future child to the best of your ability. Get married first

Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Of course you can have a child with out getting married. People do it all the time. Would I do that? Hell no.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,879 times
It's one the best options. You bet things will start going wrong the moment you sign the paper. It's like a really big black cloud that starts hanging over your heads because of the possible financial ruin it can bring.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 14,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If you don't think you want to be "tied together" then don't have a kid. Screw the actual marriage if you like. But don't intentionally bring a kid into an uncommitted relationship.

Ummm...........What makes you think getting married is better for the kid. Marriage is just a social construct. Just google 'Divorce in America

Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
It's one the best options. You bet things will start going wrong the moment you sign the paper. It's like a really big black cloud that starts hanging over your heads because of the possible financial ruin it can bring.
Do you speak from personal experience?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
And you know this because of all your VAST life experience, education and personal knowledge on actual relationships and parenthood?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbrepasser View Post
Ummm...........What makes you think getting married is better for the kid. Marriage is just a social construct. Just google 'Divorce in America
I did not say getting married is better for the kid. I said being in a committed relationship is. The piece of paper is useless. And while kids survive divorce and breakup, the ideal family unit is one in which there is more than one parental unit for love, caring, modelling etc.. I don't see why someone who foresees breakup would subject a human child to that risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships