Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,894,438 times

Advertisements

I could never be with someone long term who wasn't more intelligent than myself. I'm not talking college GPA or having a master's or doctorate. I'm talking about raw cognitive ability along the lines of how well you scored on the SAT, whether or not you can speak multiple languages, mastered an instrument, have an extensive vocabulary, ability to memorize quickly, how well you can challenge the ideas of others/play devil's advocate even when you find yourself in agreement. Of course, physical beauty is a must too, but at the end of the day, it will never make up for the mental aspect I must have in a partner. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,508,848 times
Brains. Beauty. Warmth. Those are the three things that must balance for me. A smart and pretty ice queen or a beautiful warm bubblehead simply won't keep me interested.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,766,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I could never be with someone long term who wasn't more intelligent than myself. I'm not talking college GPA or having a master's or doctorate. I'm talking about raw cognitive ability along the lines of how well you scored on the SAT, whether or not you can speak multiple languages, mastered an instrument, have an extensive vocabulary, ability to memorize quickly, how well you can challenge the ideas of others/play devil's advocate even when you find yourself in agreement. Of course, physical beauty is a must too, but at the end of the day, it will never make up for the mental aspect I must have in a partner. Thoughts?
Obviously anyone can discount a person for any number of reasons but some of things that people choose as 'criteria' are basically petty nonsense. I have never taken the SAT nor do I have a great memory, can only speak English, and could not learn to read music nor play an instrument to save my life. I am also pretty learning disabled. I feel many of these men should just resort to handing out applications because they are pretty much playing the role of a potential employer as opposed to looking for 'the one' or 'dates.' What they want is a 'ready made, plastic create a woman,' not a real flawed human being. I do have to chuckle at the people in previous threads who didn't beleive me when I said that men reject a woman for being LD, even though that comment was based on my own experiences....

I can see if someone is talking about not being interested in a completely uneducated person who had no interest in furthering their education due to laziness -- but come on these types of 'drills' are unnecessary. I can't say I'm surprised though; I will just add this newest development to the list of crap they require. If it's not your hobbies, it's your sexual past (or lack thereof), if it's not that apparently it's your ability to speak multiple languages. The basis on which they discount women explains why so many men make threads on here about being single and not being able to find someone. Probably has something to do with them being extremely nit-picky and discounting women with low SAT scores.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,732,359 times
Default Teach me

It can be impressive at first and be something that draws me to someone but it won't keep me. Other things that I value more keep me. I know this from experience.

That said, I do like that I can bounce ideas off of someone and discuss them thoughtfully with them. This is not the same as debating, I hate debating.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,584,511 times
Being in the 1% of smarties is basic minimum criteria for me.

p.s. My wife HATES it when I play devil's advocate. I find it a fun and stimulating exercise.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

p.s. My wife HATES it when I play devil's advocate. I find it a fun and stimulating exercise.
It is!

(sometimes )

Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,584,511 times
Honestly, it's one of the biggest reasons I am on CDF.
I need people to argue with...LOL!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Honestly, it's one of the biggest reasons I am on CDF.
I need people to argue with...LOL!
Oh lord. lmao

Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,058,872 times
"So, what did YOU score on the SAT when you were in HS 12 years ago?"

Yeah, that'll be a question I'll never ask if I was on a date. It's probably the furthest thing I care about.

Just be intelligent enough to live on your own and solve problems, and if you don't know the answer to something, don't be afraid to ask questions.

LOL. wow.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,016,766 times
Default How important is a person's smarts?

I'm sorry Mr. Filosifer,

I done wishdid I understooded the question...

Could you explaindid the question to me's pleese?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships