Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Sure. Doesn't matter.

I don't think so.
I'd urge you to study the history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Would you marry someone in debt, if so what types of debt are acceptable to you?

Would you marry someone who had a net worth 10% of yours?

1. Yes, some debt. Debt for things like vehicle (not over the top), mortgage, and home improvement type of stuff.

2. That would be a wide gap, so probably not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Some debt for most is common so that would not and was not an issue with me when I married my husband, we both had debt for different reasons.

The whole net worth thing is beyond me, I never asked and would never ask someone's net worth whether I was to marry them or not. I did not and do not base my relationships (romantic and otherwise) on net worth in a financial sense, I base my relationships on net worth of the entire human as they are as a human.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,765 times
everyone is going to have some type of debt in their lives...its inevitable unless you are living totally off the radar on your own means

Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM

426 posts, read 558,743 times
Love is blind debt is not.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Too general. I would not have specific percentages of net worth, or dollar amounts of debt. It would be dependent on full and complete financial data, willingness to handle and service that debt, potential for and acceptance of prenups, etc.

At the extremes, I would consider and analyze the fact before making a decision, but there is no one single generalization I could make which would be a definnitive deal breaker point.

Now all that non-commital stuff said, I would disagree with those who feel finances do not matter enough to be part of the equation. A lot of finances stuff are minor enough they should not be deal breakers, but poor financial management, or financial trouble is a cause of division in a lot of marriages too. So it does matter, and it also matters differently for different individuals. Basically, the couple has to be content with each other's financial plans and situations no matter what the particulars are.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Depends on the debt (how much, why, etc).
As for their income, it depends where they are in their career.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,719 times
Depends on the type/amount of debt vs income. They make 40K a year and drive a 35K car with more than 2 years left to pay? Um, no... just no. Too much car for that income. Good indication on how they handle their money.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Let me ask the gallery this: Would you rather marry someone with $25k of credit card debt only (but they have a stable, middle-class career) or $100k of student loan debt (same stable, middle-class career)?

It sounds like the prevailing mindset is that education debt is good debt, even though it's not dischargable in bankruptcy and a "degree" isn't worth what it used to be. I don't understand this mindset at all, but many still have it.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
It sounds like the prevailing mindset is that education debt is good debt, even though it's not dischargable in bankruptcy and a "degree" isn't worth what it used to be. I don't understand this mindset at all, but many still have it.
It is a bi-product of the culture in the US that worships higher education at any cost. Never mind there are people who have no business in college. Never mind there are little publicized options such as vocational-based 2 year degrees at most comm colleges, trade schools, public emergency services, IT certification classes not a part of a degree program, military training, working your way up after going grunt work etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships