Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 65,224 times

Advertisements

Especially someone in her late 20's and really beautiful with a nice body. Would you wonder if there is something wrong with her because how can someone like that not have a boyfriend. Serious answers please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
A few things.

She could just be a big party girl who goes wild an isn't interested in dating or relationships.

Could just not be interested in relationships.

Could just be concentrating on school and not making any time for men.

She could just be a big tease.

Either way, it really doesn't behoove me to ask her questions about her past relationship experiences unless she brings it up herself.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid09 View Post
Especially someone in her late 20's and really beautiful with a nice body. Would you wonder if there is something wrong with her because how can someone like that not have a boyfriend. Serious answers please.
Well I've never had a girlfriend so I'd take it and see where it goes.
with a bit of luck she's not less sociable than me.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:
Your question reminds me of an old joke. Two economists were walking down the street when one spotted a $20 bill on the ground. As he reached down to pick it up, the other one asked, "What do you think you're doing?" "I'm picking up this $20", the first replied. "That can't be a real $20 bill. If it were, someone would certainly have picked it up before now."

That she has never had a boyfriend means nothing in and of itself. There are many possible explanations as to why she hasn't had a boyfriend, and most of them will be wrong. Having said that, I think most people would assume that there must be something wrong with her. And that assumption may become self-fulfilling--people assume there's something wrong with her with regards to relationships, so they avoid getting into a relationship with her, for fear of being proven right.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM

52,195 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Yes, I would think it's odd and would wonder what was wrong with her.

Sort of judgmental though, I suppose.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Your question reminds me of an old joke. Two economists were walking down the street when one spotted a $20 bill on the ground. As he reached down to pick it up, the other one asked, "What do you think you're doing?" "I'm picking up this $20", the first replied. "That can't be a real $20 bill. If it were, someone would certainly have picked it up before now."

That she has never had a boyfriend means nothing in and of itself. There are many possible explanations as to why she hasn't had a boyfriend, and most of them will be wrong. Having said that, I think most people would assume that there must be something wrong with her. And that assumption may become self-fulfilling--people assume there's something wrong with her with regards to relationships, so they avoid getting into a relationship with her, for fear of being proven right.
This is an interesting point, and one I'm recently familiar with. I was talking to my best male friend while visiting he and his girlfriend in NYC this past week (where they asked me to be his best man in their wedding, incidentally ) and he mentioned to me that it's weird that I don't have a lot of relationships (even short ones) under my belt at nearly 30 years old. He said it would be a HUUUUGE red flag regardless of how much he liked the girl if she had been single for so long.

So, this could definitely be part of it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
If I'm dating someone, I generally won't come right out and ask "how many boyfriends have you had?" I'd be more focused on the present and figuring out if the relationship will go somewhere.

I was a "late bloomer" myself, so maybe I'd be more understanding. But I don't think that would stop any guy from wanting to date you. You can always say, "I haven't really had a very serious relationship. The past few years I've been focusing on my career and spending time with friends..." Something like that.

I don't see it as a big deal. And to be honest, being a boyfriend or girlfriend is easy if you like and care about the person. So don't focus on the past, and I really doubt most people would mind.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:

Late 20's? Pffft, that's nothing.
I'd only wonder if she'd date me.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM

247 posts, read 353,870 times
Why is it important that you mention you've never had a boyfriend? It doesn't even have to come up. However if it does, I would just say "yeah I had a serious relationship and it didn't work out", even if it wasn't true. I really don't think it should hinder you at all

Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
pfft, that was me for a good while.

Maybe she just didn't find anyone who met her standards, she knew she was a blue diamond and she held out until she met someone who met her standards and was her match. Maybe she just had other things to do and think about. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships