Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times

Advertisements

It is generally best not to talk politics or religion with friends and family, it brings nothing but aggravation on both sides and solves more than nothing. Stick to talking about the weather and................IF you are wondering if you are with the RIGHT PERSON just because of differing political views you have way more serious problems than politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM

39,330 posts, read 27,714,397 times

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM

17,648 posts, read 22,693,432 times
Hahaha......

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Things might be a little bit easier talking with him if you ceased seeing as the "dark side." Just a thought. You can have different opinions and still respect each other. My husband is much more conservative than I am and there are many issues that we disagree upon. However, he does agree with me on the issues that are most important to me.
I agree.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Op, isn't that the point of CDF?

I come here to have conversations I can't have with regular people in my life (because they are disinclined, afraid, not into 'debating,' feel too strongly the opposite not to get offended, uninformed, etc).

I enjoy learning and making an argument and understanding other people's point of view so much, I am so glad this outlet exists. Because the fact is, besides my family (mom, dad, and bro...we grew up on debates about politics, philosophy, etc, around the dinner table - sometimes we scared our guests with our gusto and passion), there aren't many people you can discuss ideas with at more than a superficial level.

I am lucky to have a couple of friends I can do this with, but my wife...? Whoo boy, no way. She's too literal a person to play devil's advocate and she doesn't enjoy confrontation. Luckily, we agree on most major life issues.

Op, just keep your trap shut about politics at home. It's irrelevant.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,415,401 times
Honestly? I view my politics as a direct reflection of my moral values and personal code. A person with political beliefs that are diametrically opposed to mine isn't going to be someone I could spend my life with. I realize many people make this work, but having grown up as the sole liberal in my immediate family, I've found that I really value being with someone whose political beliefs align with my own. In my family, I think their conservative beliefs are not a reflection of their strengths but a reflection of their weaknesses - narcissism, narrow-mindedness, bigotry and lack of education. I know plenty of conservatives who are NOT like this (indeed, I have many friends who are very intelligent conservatives), but my upbringing has led me to seek out romantic partners who are like-minded when it comes to politics. My parents and I have an unspoken agreement not to discuss politics, and we get along just fine - and that, OP, is really the only route open to you if you want to maintain this marriage. Take politics off the table as a discussion topic. Accept that your husband cannot be "all things" to you and that one must compromise to maintain a relationship.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,696,194 times
I don't like discussing politics with anyone. Whether we agree or disagree, I avoid it at all costs. I see no point in it and have found that even when you predominatly agree on most issues with someone, at some point you end up in a heated argument with that person the further down that road you travel. I don't know, I just don't understand the appeal. No one ever changes anyone's minds in political debates. It seems to always turn into mud slinging. If anything, it causes people to be more extreme, driving each side further apart. It's possible the bigger issue I have with politics is my hatered of bipartisanship. Trying to divide all issues right down the middle and make them black and white is absurd. I get called a liberal by conservatives, and a conservative by liberals. It's comical at times.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM

39,330 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I don't like discussing politics with anyone. Whether we agree or disagree, I avoid it at all costs. I see no point in it and have found that even when you predominatly agree on most issues with someone, at some point you end up in a heated argument with that person the further down that road you travel. I don't know, I just don't understand the appeal. No one ever changes anyone's minds in political debates. It seems to always turn into mud slinging. If anything, it causes people to be more extreme, driving each side further apart. It's possible the bigger issue I have with politics is my hatered of bipartisanship. Trying to divide all issues right down the middle and make them black and white is absurd. I get called a liberal by conservatives, and a conservative by liberals. It's comical at times.

LOL I hear you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships