Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM

33 posts, read 23,464 times

Advertisements

I've noticed in relationships I have this habit and I'm wondering whether it is common amongst other people.

So basically generally within relationships, I've noticed that when a girl is really into me and wants to work things out, I tend to back off and become a bit distant...then suddenly when she backs off and becomes distant I started being more keen and wonder whether I should pursue her and be with her etc. It's as if when I'm with her, I generally think about the negative aspects and how she isn't x y z and how I don't like this or that but then when the prospect of walking away for good hits me, I start thinking about all the good things, what I would miss out on, what I would be leaving behind and ask myself am I really making the right decision here? It's like that saying "You don't realise what you got/had til it's gone." So for example if a girl wasn't replying to my texts and being distant with me I suddenly start feeling like I need to pursue her! When a girl backs off I feel like I want to get back with her. Maybe I just find it hard letting people down, even if it's the relationship isn't working.

Does that sound fimilar? Does that make sense? I'm not quite sure why I'm like this to be honest. Maybe as I said it's cos I don't like hurting or disappointing people.

The more I think about it though, I feel it also could well be the age factor that's making me re-consider this relationship and question myself whether I have made the right decision to walk away. Maybe if I was 22, this would be easier. I would have years left to find someone, to meet new people, I would relax and things wouldn't be so tense and panicky. At almost 30 it's a different story. I really don't want to look back and feel that I made the wrong decision here...what if I don't meet someone else etc.

Can anyone else relate to this kind of behaviour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,525 times
Do you ever really loved anybody?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
It's normal human psychology.

You know all those ads that say, 'For a limited time only' or 'Only 7 available at this price!' If something seems a little difficult to get, or if it seems like it will not always be available, we want it more.

The trick is to become self aware enough that you are not manipulated by the ads, or clueless about what you really want with these girls.

And Atai has a very good question.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
This is what people do when they don't feel really strongly about someone or in some cases when they have incorrectly overvalued themselves + undervalued their partner. I always say, if you can do better, then do it.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for your responses. It's the classic "you want what you can't have" syndrome. For so long though I have been saying to myself I can't do this anymore, I can't cope with this anymore. I'm not sure about her. Obviously I haven't gone into detail here about this last relationship I was in. But to be brief there was alot of stuff that really upset me and it got to the point where I couldn't deal with it anymore so I broke things off. I was hurt and just feeling exhausted by the relationship. It's ONLY THEN she came round and was like oh I'm so sorry about everything, I know I was harsh to you in how I treated you and let's try and work things out. So basically, for the last 2 months she's tried to get back things back on track with me and tried to make up for what happened.

I've been distant with her. I think I was just hurt by what had happened for months. And now, well, it just feels like there's nothing left after all that time. She says haven't you forgiven me for all that? And I have, but I guess it's more than that isn't it? Recently, the last few days or so I think she's figured that I'm becoming less interested and she's backing off too.

But now, what's going on here is that because she's suddenly backing off and not responding to my occasional texts, I'm feeling rather uncomfortable and wishing she did reply but more than that, I'm starting to question the entire relationship and my earlier decision. Should I be with her afterall? Should I try and work things out with her? Am I missing out if I don't give things another chance? Am I going to REGRET this? Those what if moments are always there I guess. It's best not to get absorbed into them.

Maybe this is normal, more normal than I thought. I suppose it's quite common when say a friend dies or you move on from a situation or you come home from travelling...you tend to reminisce on all the good things and would want them back in your life in some way, even if it weren't the right thing?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,064 times
There's always going to be "something" that isn't perfect about everyone you date. Open communication is what keeps it going. Every relationship has a fizzle point.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 AM

220 posts, read 363,664 times
John I definitely think this is normal, but that doesn't mean its healthy. I think its great that you've recognized this about yourself and recognize it as a barrier between yourself and attaining that wholesome relationship that it seems you are seeking. It could be that you're just not as into her as you should be. But when she retracts, it activates a chase mode within you that has nothing to do with your feelings for her.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,871 times
Typical push and pull scenario. Stay away from negativity, and find someone to meet you halfway.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 AM

Well yes I understand what you're both saying and well I have some news.

Me and this girl in question after briefly speaking last night, decided to finally cut contact after just over a year of having known each other and officially being together about 10 months. Although it was mutual, she actually made the decision because we had been meeting up occasionally and we were still in contact, she thought it probably wasn't a good idea anymore and that's the right thing to do as I didn't seem happy.

But now I suppose I'm feeing emotional still like you would with the proper ending of something like this but I guess I have to remember that I wasn't happy for some time. I'm reminiscing about our good times and how we met etc. and thinking it could have been different. I suppose this is all normal? I get thoughts and doubts like should I have given her a second chance because she made an effort the last couple of months etc. and showed me she had changed in some respects? We were meeting for the last couple of months occasionally and she was trying to things back on track with me but I just didn't feel comfortable being with her because of what happened in the past. So I don't know if part of me is now feeling guilty about letting her down and not giving this a second shot.

But ultimately I suppose, I was in an awkward situation...the risk to try things out again was maybe too much for me simply because I had a feeling that things would go back to how they were, eventually. But also maybe we just weren't right for each other on more fundamental aspects; personality, character, lifestyle etc. I don't know. Every time we did meet up I just didn't feel all that great about it, about her etc. Yet now, I'm feeling well...just sad I suppose that she's out of my life. But I also wonder how much of this is my bruised ego. As in this girl has been pursuing me and wanting things to work out for quite some time and now suddenly she's not and decided we got to cut contact completely. Deep down maybe I knew things weren't going to work out but I'm still quite upset.

I really just hope I don't look back and think I've made a mistake in letting her go. I hope one day I will be proved right and meet finally meet someone who I will be happy with.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,448,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john219 View Post
I've noticed in relationships I have this habit and I'm wondering whether it is common amongst other people.

So basically generally within relationships, I've noticed that when a girl is really into me and wants to work things out, I tend to back off and become a bit distant...then suddenly when she backs off and becomes distant I started being more keen and wonder whether I should pursue her and be with her etc. It's as if when I'm with her, I generally think about the negative aspects and how she isn't x y z and how I don't like this or that but then when the prospect of walking away for good hits me, I start thinking about all the good things, what I would miss out on, what I would be leaving behind and ask myself am I really making the right decision here? It's like that saying "You don't realise what you got/had til it's gone." So for example if a girl wasn't replying to my texts and being distant with me I suddenly start feeling like I need to pursue her! When a girl backs off I feel like I want to get back with her. Maybe I just find it hard letting people down, even if it's the relationship isn't working.

Does that sound fimilar? Does that make sense? I'm not quite sure why I'm like this to be honest. Maybe as I said it's cos I don't like hurting or disappointing people.

The more I think about it though, I feel it also could well be the age factor that's making me re-consider this relationship and question myself whether I have made the right decision to walk away. Maybe if I was 22, this would be easier. I would have years left to find someone, to meet new people, I would relax and things wouldn't be so tense and panicky. At almost 30 it's a different story. I really don't want to look back and feel that I made the wrong decision here...what if I don't meet someone else etc.

Can anyone else relate to this kind of behaviour?
Yes. Just recently it happened to me and my husband. That night he was insanely mad at me throwing away his wedding ring out the car window , I was appeasing him, even cried in front of him. It seems to make him more angrier at me. He slept on the couch refused my asking him to come to bed many times, the next day, I did the silent treatment even when he walked in our room, I ignored him completely.

Then he said he sees I am already packing I said yes, he asked when I will leave, I said in a week, He said ok.

Then I told him that's what you want isn't it? Miraculously he reconciled with me. WE are in our 40s, so age isn't a factor he is just being an a$$hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships