Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times

Advertisements

I know a guy who visits his mommy in the nursing home up to five times a day. He's even left his dates holding the bag while he would run to the home at suppertime to make sure she was was fed "properly".
It's pathological behaviour and he wonders why he can't keep a girlfriend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I know a guy who visits his mommy in the nursing home up to five times a day. He's even left his dates holding the bag while he would run to the home at suppertime to make sure she was was fed "properly".
It's pathological behaviour and he wonders why he can't keep a girlfriend.
Sounds more like the behavior of a man with no faith who is scared of death and scared to death of losing his mom. That's sad

Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,054,236 times
A man can respect his mom without having her dictate his life. A momma's boy will let his mother roll over him just to appease her, even if it affects his other relationships. A man respecting his mom will still love his mother, appreciate her gestures and advice, but be firm in acknowledging that he is an adult who can and will make his own decisions.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sounds more like the behavior of a man with no faith who is scared of death and scared to death of losing his mom. That's sad
What do you mean by no faith? He's a Christian who fervently believes in God.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,931,571 times
Every situation is different.

I consider myself a momma's boy. My mom is bipolar and is subject to spells of extreme paranoia and/or depression, and the only person she trusts and talks to is me. I can easily spend hours a day talking to her. Am I "psychologically dependent" on her? In a way, yes. I can't just turn my back on her because society thinks that's what grown-up men should do. Being kind and being a man are not mutually exclusive. I am lucky to have an understanding wife who not only sympathizes with me but sympathizes with my mom as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What do you mean by no faith? He's a Christian who fervently believes in God.
Great, glad to hear it.

Faith generally gives more comfort and leaves less room for fear. Your description of your friend made him sound fearful of death and of his mother dying to me, that's all. Happy to hear that I may have misunderstood.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

I consider myself a momma's boy. My mom is bipolar and is subject to spells of extreme paranoia and/or depression, and the only person she trusts and talks to is me. I can easily spend hours a day talking to her. Am I "psychologically dependent" on her? In a way, yes. I can't just turn my back on her because society thinks that's what grown-up men should do. Being kind and being a man are not mutually exclusive. I am lucky to have an understanding wife who not only sympathizes with me but sympathizes with my mom as well.
I hope you buy your wife flowers frequently and treat her very well - you are extremely lucky to have her

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,769 times
A momma's boy is a man who can't make decisions without his mother's approval.

Not someone who asks mom for advice but someone who lets his mother control him like he's still a little boy.

There's a difference between being a "momma's boy" and man who loves and cares for his mother.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,014,576 times
Quote:

Based on what you've given us, I wouldn't consider you a "mamma's boy." Just because you dedicate time to your mom does not make you a momma's boy. When I hear the term, I tend to think of people whose moms are manipulative and their sons fall for it. In your case, your mom has a legit need and you respond to it. I'm sure that comes with its challenges and you are fortunate to have a wife who understands. I wish you well in you life situation, it's not something that everyone can relate to.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,059,629 times
Quote:

I believe your situation is different. When a parent has an illness the way people, especially family, responds to the illness and care is individualized. I think you are concerned and being active in your mom's care. I know society marginalizes those suffering from mental illness. I would view you more as an advocate in your mom's care than being a momma's boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships