Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard a number of women say that when they temporarily went blonde, life changed radically. Before blonde, they were pretty invisible to men, but suddenly with blonde hair, they got a lot of attention. All of them went back to their natural color, though, because they prefer to be natural.
Not sure what I will do yet, but having just gotten this style I have a couple months to decide. I do feel uncomfortable though when people tell me how beautiful I look and I should keep it because then I wonder if they are saying blondes are prettier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard a number of women say that when they temporarily went blonde, life changed radically. Before blonde, they were pretty invisible to men, but suddenly with blonde hair, they got a lot of attention. All of them went back to their natural color, though, because they prefer to be natural.
I believe men associate platinum blonde hair to women we perceive as being very sexual, such as Marlyn Monroe, Pamela Anderson, Anna Nicole Smith, and pretty much every other blonde that has ever been in Playboy Magazine.

It's probably why the expression "blondes have more fun" was created.

Dying hair blonde is the equivalent of getting a breast enhancement.

It sends out a message of sexuality

Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Yeah, I notice this too.

When I bleach and dye my hair, I get more attention.

When I stay brunette, I get a different kind of attention. Less shallow pervs, I feel.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I'm not attracted to the blonde look.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
I had dark blonde hair at one point and I don't remember the attention being any different but then again, I was only 21/22. I look very young so I couldn't go back to that color, especially not know since I'm trying to start my career and want to be taken more seriously. I don't act differently but seems that because I look so young, I have to be extra careful about what i say or do. Not letting blonde hair make that worse! ha.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Normally I have long dark hair but was asked to participate in a makeover for a local salon and my hair was dyed blonde and drastically changed. Long story short I have been getting a lot more attention than ever before. Taco Man though says I look pretty like this but he said he thinks I am pretty no matter my hair color.

Ever change your hair color and get different attention? I am thinking of posting a photo of my new blonde hairdo on a dating site and see what responses I get. I probably won't though because I love Taco Man.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that all the responses you've received so far have talked about hair colour, and not a PEEP about the fact that your first impulse is to post photos of yourself on a dating site for an ego boost, not actually to attract dates. That's just as vile as the need to scroll through dating site members and make fun of them or last out because people you don't find attractive are contacting you.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Normally I have long dark hair but was asked to participate in a makeover for a local salon and my hair was dyed blonde and drastically changed. Long story short I have been getting a lot more attention than ever before. Taco Man though says I look pretty like this but he said he thinks I am pretty no matter my hair color.

Ever change your hair color and get different attention? I am thinking of posting a photo of my new blonde hairdo on a dating site and see what responses I get. I probably won't though because I love Taco Man.

I am confidant and secure enough with my natural self not to seek nor need "different attention" from anyone.

I do have a question though, why do you keep posting things on dating sites when you say you love taco man so much? It seems rather odd to me that "out of curiosity" you keep going to these dating sites. IF you truly love taco man so much you would not be looking at those sites let alone posting new photos.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Gotta love girls whose self worth is wrapped up in hair color-superficial things and the attention of men.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
I'll be the first to say blondes don't have more fun....at least in my experience. Being a red head growing up was hard, tough and well, humiliating at times - I even had a boy throw a rock at me on the way home from school one day. Of course it could have been my skinny legs and knobby knees he was laughing at...he he.

Anyway, all that is past me now especially since all those little boys are old men now and aren't terrified of little girls with red pigtails anymore. But because of that I dyed my hair a lot when I was younger. I tried blonde first and yeah I got hit on but what really snagged the men's attention was when I dyed my hair dark brown. Men would swerve to look at me while they were driving past me in my car. If I was walking I could have probably stopped traffic on a busy street with that hair color. I'm not trying to brag because it's all in the hair color since they weren't doing that before with blonde or red hair, so it was just the hair color. I was amazed. Weird thing is my husband doesn't like me with dark hair, only red or with some blonde in it.

My friend doesn't want to dye her hair, she has red hair too, but since her husband likes blondes she wants to buy a blonde wig and then meet him at a bar.

So yes hair color could be fun to play around with, but if a woman was serious about finding someone on a dating site than she'd need to show her "normal" color.

But I don't see why you can't have a little fun with a blonde picture up on your dating profile just to see the difference.

I am so sorry you had such a hard time growing up as a copper head.

I'm a redhead and apart from a little teasing ( being tall I and with red hair I was called "Giraffe" quite often in primary school - oh the wit !! ) I must say I think I have always had rather positive comments on my hair. When I was in my late teens I was offered a fortune to sell my hair which I turned down... And a boy at school sitting behind me used to love playing with it when I had it long which was odd. Most bizarre thing was a middle age chap once in quite a posh hotel who approached me wanting to touch and smell it ! Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww.

Hubby would faint with horror if I dyed my hair especially blonde as he loves the red hair and loathes blondes....

I have also found in my younger days through the dating process that the boys I was personally attracted to always found redheads sexy, perhaps I am attracted to men not afraid of a little passion and fire ! Even now I tend to find men appreciative of redheads tend to be more my cup of tea personality wise usually.

I am not bothered about being a car-swerving colour to be honest, the attention I have had has alwys been of pretty high quality so I don't care ! A lot of men still seem to go wild for redheads, and find them uber-sexy.

I think being a man with red hair is far worse though, a lot of negative comments about "Gingernuts" and all that kind of garbage.

Nothing wrong with dyeing your hair as you say and experimenting but I like my hair and would not. I dyed my hair chocolate brown once for a school play once and it did not really suit me. People seemed to miss the red hair as well.

I am happy with what I have. I was never a pale redhead ( am now due to illness) and only a few freckles as well which I know often upsets redheads growing up. My hair is more a dark copperish auburn really.

I am not sure whether blondes have more fun, I think they think they do and men might think they will provide more !

I do not feel deprived of fun being a redhead I must admit.

There is certainly a value attached to being blonde, not sure whether it is the "child-like" evolutionary thing people keep banging on about or the fact that Scandinavian women always seem to be valued so highly but to me unless it is natural or looks completely natural it tends to look really cheap and tarty especially with roots showing ( which has become a trend it seems).

Blonde also describes so many tones and some I find far more attractive than others. Some blonde tones I find beautiful , others look more like cat's pee colour. And Peroxide looks dreadful to me.

Hubby really seems to have a profound dislike of blonde hair for some reason and seems incapable of distinguishing between famous blonde actresses which always surprises me.

He always calls them the "generic blondes" which I don't get. To him Charlize Theron , Scarlett Johanssen and Katherine Heigl all look the same which seems unfair and rather bizarre to me.... He much prefers brunettes to blondes. But redheads are his favourites by far, just as well for me !!!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimothia View Post
Umm she's a grown women which makes it even sadder.
I realize that. I was using the term girl because it's very indicative of adolescence to think that blond hair and male attention are what "makes a difference".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships