Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,192 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are watching television last night and she asks me the type of question that I (and perhaps a lot of other guys) dread. The question:

"If you had to choose, would you rather have a woman with a great face and ok body or a woman with a great body and ok face?"

My answer was to refuse to answer, and I could tell that she was not pleased. Initially, I didn't want to answer the question because it seemed to pave the way to a "do these pants make my butt look big?" discussion. Then, I didn't want to answer because I knew I was tired and that the discussion might devolve into something that got me into trouble (lol).

After a night's sleep and a few minutes to really ponder the question, I sent her an email as my official response. The bulk of it is below:

Quote:

Contrived or not, I want to answer your question from last night:

Just speaking to the question at hand, I would choose the woman with a great face and ok body. Why? I think women's bodies are beautiful no matter the shape or size. But the same logic does not apply to a woman's facial features. I'm not talking about stereotypical beauty, either. To me, a woman's smile is not just a function of her lips--it is also the eyes, a slight wrinkle of the nose, arched brows, etc.

Now, to make a stronger point: I didn't have to choose with you. I think you have an amazing beauty that extends from head to toe. I've told you this before, but your smile is what captivated me in your POF pictures. Long before I noticed the infamous "Diet Coke Shirt", I noticed your radiant smile. It's one of the things I look forward to the most after a day at work. It's what I relish when I wake up next to you every morning. Your body absolutely drives me insane, Dim's_Wife. I know I'm a typical guy and appear to be horny all the time, but that is indeed how you make me. This morning, your PJ shirt was unbuttoned about 1/3 of the way down from top-to-bottom. I could see just a hint of your breasts and I couldn't help but sneak-stare.

I love the way my arm slides around your waist at night, or how soft and smooth your skin feels to my fingers. I take pleasure in holding your head in my hands so I can kiss you, or the simple act of a long, lasting embrace. You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen, babe. Sure, there may be others who have what society considers the ideal measurement but, in total honesty, I don't care as long as I have you to come home to every night.

I love you, honey. I hope you find my "answer" acceptable and that you understand just how much I desire you (in and out of bed).
My question is whether this would qualify as an acceptable answer or an example of why these types of questions are risky at best and should be avoided? I think I tried to answer her question in an honest way but I also wanted to turn a potential negative into a positive. Did I succeed?

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
"I'd rather have a women who is smart".

Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
"I'd rather have a women who is smart".
Not a bad response, but the rules of the question applied to beauty (face/body) only. I don't think I could have gotten out of it that easily.

--Dim

Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
You had to send an email to communicate with your wife? I find that very weird. I suppose your answer is good, but since you had to email it I would assume it isn't an honest answer. I would think you needed time to come up with the "right" answer.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
. Initially, I didn't want to answer the question because it seemed to pave the way to a "do these pants make my butt look big?" discussion.
Judging by numerous threads here in the past, a big butt is a good thing. Why do women think a big butt is bad, but men think it's good? Why the disconnect?

A topic for another thread, perhaps.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
No. It's an "unsucceedable" question. You will always fail if you answer honestly, but a laid-back women won't get angry about it.

Personally, I think you should dodge the question and always answer "I want a woman who looks exactly like you".

Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM

Onglet,

I have my reasons for sending an email, but I know why you'd think that (hence the reference to "contrived"). I wasn't trying to come up with the "right" answer because I don't know if there is one.

--Dim

Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
I think your email is lovely .

I also think you are WAY overthinking this / too paranoid about secret meanings to questions. But then, I do not know your wife .

If I asked this, it would be out of curiousity about evolution and attraction. I would already assume that of course MY awesomeness trumped any other considerations .

Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Judging by numerous threads here in the past, a big butt is a good thing. Why do women think a big butt is bad, but men think it's good? Why the disconnect?

A topic for another thread, perhaps.
I dunno either, Ruth. I'd be very interested to get to the "bottom" of it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
No. It's an "unsucceedable" question. You will always fail if you answer honestly, but a laid-back women won't get angry about it.

Personally, I think you should dodge the question and always answer "I want a woman who looks exactly like you".
Nice response. Too bad I was too tired/sleepy/stupid to think of that last night!

--Dim

Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
You always take great face and ok body
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships