Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 22,012 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. There is this guy at my work who doesn't talk to me. When I work with him, he has no problem talking to my other coworkers. A few people at work asked him and he said he was shy and that i shouldn't take it personally. When I say hi to him, he acts like he doesn't want to talk to me or gets upset. I know I shouldn't let this bother me but it does. One day i confronted him and he said i didn't do anything or offend him in anyway. I really don't know if he is telling the truth or not. When I'm at work I try to ignore him or if we pass I'll say hi. I'm wondering if I did more damage since I said something. Im having a hard time letting go of this. The worst thing about it is that I may have a crush on him. What do you guys think of situation? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
He is shy. He has said so.

I'm the same way as him around female co-workers that are of a dateable age. I'm not interested in dating co-workers, but I'm still unable to get over my shyness when I'm around them. And therefore I don't talk to them much.

If you want, I guess you could ask him out. The main reason a workplace romance is tricky, though, is what if there is some other guy that likes you ? If you choose this other guy to date, that risks creating tension in the workplace. And I mean real interpersonal tension, not a tempest of frustration inside your own mind.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
You didn't do anything wrong (not even confronting him).

Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,311 times
Personally I wouldn't want to date someone who I'm constantly trying to get attention from. I don't think you did anything wrong but he may be a little nervous that you might confront him again. Usually you can tell when someone's into you, and maybe he just isn't. Sorry

Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
How does someone at work show they're interested then? Seems like you might know.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I would just be annoyed that a colleage was treating me unprofessionally at work. Why would you have a crush on someone who doesn't even talk to you?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
I think you are at work to work, not to hook up. Act professional maybe and then it won't be a problem. People can tell when someone else is acting inappropriately in their head even if they don't exhibit out right sexual aggression. Maybe he has someone or just prefers to keep work professional and not a dating game.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
As a shy guy, I see things differently perhaps than some of the other folks here. If he is single, I'd say he actually likes you. My guess is that both of you are fairly young, perhaps in your 20s. You didn't say if it was a professional job or perhaps a part time job in a store somewhere. Adding to his shyness was that some co-workers asked him if he had a problem with you, either implying or out right admitting that they had talked about this to you. Later, you then ask him the same thing.

Not sure of his status, though I'd wager he is unattached. Try being friends with him. Be friendly. Take a break at the same time. Get a drink from the water fountain when he does. See where it leads. Maybe he'll ask you out or you'll ask him out. Or maybe not.

This comes from someone who met his future wife at work. It was so obvious to our co-workers that we should be together that a few seperate people told both of us that if one of us didn't ask th othe one out, they were going to do it for us.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Seems odd he would not even acknowledge a "hi" from you, but some people are just so shy they want to blend into the background.

Don't take it personally. He has a social anxiety problem. I just hope he is able to work with his co-workers when required to.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
How does he get upset? Does he look visibly irritated at you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships