Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The pendulum of feminism has swung too far in the other direction. Our colleges used to be mostly men, now its mostly women. It should be close to 50/50. Where are the people actively pushing to increase male enrollment, like was done for women when it was 70/30 men? Most of the women I know have way better, higher paying service jobs than the men I know. And all of them expect the man to earn more, but how?

Today, women want it all, but with none of the negatives. Few realize it doesn't work that way. When they don't get what they want, the $299 no-fault divorce is right downtown. Any wonder 90% of divorce is initiated by women among college educated couples? And most guys just don't want to deal with this. Watch House Hunters and nearly every woman wants the most expensive, lavish starter home and the guys just want a house that fits their budget.

Don't follow the common Hollywood/NYC agenda that pushes emasculated men as the norm. Man up, live on your own terms, and apologize for nothing.
If you are talking about colleges being mostly men, in many cases the colleges only admitted very small amounts of women, or none at all. There aren't similar policies now that state only a small amount of men can be admitted to college or no men at all.

I've watched House Hunters...there are plenty of entitled people of both genders...give me a break.

The person who initiated the divorce isn't always the same person who caused the factors leading to the divorce. My former brother in law had metaphorically divorced his family and moved out of the house long before his former wife actually initiated legal divorce proceedings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
If you are talking about colleges being mostly men, in many cases the colleges only admitted very small amounts of women, or none at all. There aren't similar policies now that state only a small amount of men can be admitted to college or no men at all.
Yep, that's the difference. Women in the past were prevented from going to college. Men are not. Men are more likely to choose things like military or trades that don't require college.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why are some men so afraid of women?

Were you panicking like this when the ratio of male:female students was higher? I'm guessing no.

Colleges still aren't "mostly" women. The ratio is 40-something to 50-something nationwide (I will have to go look that stat back up).

And I'm sorry that women can now get divorces if they're in bad situations. I know it must have been much easier for you when we were trapped.

But we didn't think it was easier.

So tough.
Assume whatever you wish about me, I could care less. You sound a little bitter, like I struck a nerve, but I love women and support the good ones wholeheartedly.

It's not about being afraid, its about the feminist agenda, which was supposed to make things equalized, but has clearly gone beyond that. Its backfired. There's been numerous female writers who have written about this phenomenon. Women now have all the rights as men (and in many cases, more rights, especially in the case of children and custody issues), yet they are more heavily on anti-depressants than ever.

When woman/man goes against natural order of things, it never works.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Quote:
And what natural order are you referring to?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post

I've watched House Hunters...there are plenty of entitled people of both genders...give me a break.

The person who initiated the divorce isn't always the same person who caused the factors leading to the divorce. My former brother in law had metaphorically divorced his family and moved out of the house long before his former wife actually initiated legal divorce proceedings.
Here come the feminists who are afraid of a man who speaks the truth. Nothing you posted makes any sense at all. There's always this idea that sometime, long long ago, there were these men that stood at college doors and turned women away. Or was it that many women weren't interested in college because they wanted to raise well adjusted kids?

And 90% of divorce among college educated couples are initiated by women. But, this must be because there's some drunk, angry, white male at 90% of the homes in America who just belittles her and beats her every night. Stop watching Lifetime movies and join the real world.

Or did the guy fall on some hard times because the construction industry has been decimated and that's what he did for a living? So, the income is drying up and she's looking for a way out. After all, she doesn't need a man and can do it all by herself. I think that's more of what's happening on a day to day basis than any scenario that you'll conjure up.

The feminist idea of men has never been true and will never be true.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
And what natural order are you referring to?
Think about how things work in nature and you'll figure it out.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Assume whatever you wish about me, I could care less. You sound a little bitter, like I struck a nerve, but I love women and support the good ones wholeheartedly.

It's not about being afraid, its about the feminist agenda, which was supposed to make things equalized, but has clearly gone beyond that. Its backfired. There's been numerous female writers who have written about this phenomenon. Women now have all the rights as men (and in many cases, more rights, especially in the case of children and custody issues), yet they are more heavily on anti-depressants than ever.

You may feel it's backfired, but I and most women I know don't feel that way. We're glad and very relieved to have the choices our mothers and grandmothers never had.

I don't think the antidepressant phenomenon is due to "feminism," but that's a subject for a whole 'nother post.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Here come the feminists who are afraid of a man who speaks the truth. Nothing you posted makes any sense at all. There's always this idea that sometime, long long ago, there were these men that stood at college doors and turned women away. Or was it that many women weren't interested in college because they wanted to raise well adjusted kids?

And 90% of divorce among college educated couples are initiated by women. But, this must be because there's some drunk, angry, white male at 90% of the homes in America who just belittles her and beats her every night. Stop watching Lifetime movies and join the real world.

Or did the guy fall on some hard times because the construction industry has been decimated and that's what he did for a living? So, the income is drying up and she's looking for a way out. After all, she doesn't need a man and can do it all by herself. I think that's more of what's happening on a day to day basis than any scenario that you'll conjure up.

The feminist idea of men has never been true and will never be true.
No, sometimes it's just about choice, imagine that.

You seem pretty angry and are cooking up some exaggerated scenarios of your own to support that.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Think about how things work in nature and you'll figure it out.
Rape is generally how male/female relations work in most of the animal kingdom, but surely you're not advocating that. We're supposed to strive to be evolved as humans.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Rape is generally how male/female relations work in most of the animal kingdom, but surely you're not advocating that. We're supposed to strive to be evolved as humans.
Exactly. In addition, we don't live as most animals live. We don't even live the way early humans lived. We live in an artificial construct which puts many, many, many people into relatively small spaces (v. a small band of family members plus some extended family). We can't function fully as we would "naturally" given the way we live.

Instead, we have to find other ways of getting along and making things work. Or else give up the benefits (there are benefits, after all -- including shared technology, like the one we're using right now) of living in modern society.

I did want to make one correction, though, if I may...rape is not necessarily how things work in the animal kingdom. In many species, the female has to be receptive, and in fact has the right to choose or not choose the male. In societal animals especially (including humans), rape tends to tear apart bonds and that overrides (again, in societal animals) the benefits of living as a clan or group.

I think the poster you quoted has some idea that things are less complex when they're "in nature." Not at all...he'd still be having as hard a time getting a woman there as he seems to be in modern society. There are still hurdles to pass if one wants to be an acceptable mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships