Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,814,720 times

Advertisements

(I know, I know first world problems, but bare with me.)

If you're married or in a LTR and living together, do/did one or both of you have a room or space that is yours alone? My husband has a lot of junk, that I don't want laying around the house, so he has most of the basement jokingly called his "man cave". Has his guitars, office, camera equipment etc... I sahm, so I tidy the house, but I don't tidy down there. It's not a shared space. I'm not responsible for it and unless he has something he specifically wants to show me, I give him privacy.

We had a play date today and the visiting friend seemed to think that I should force the issue and make him tidy it up. The cleaning lady comes in bi-weekly and she makes an attempt at his godawful mess after everything else is done, but really, I'm content to leave him to his mess. I didn't think it was an issue. He's a grown man he can tidy or not tidy his room.

Is there something wrong with personal spaces? Should I care about the mess? Me and the kids aren't living in it so I figured it doesn't matter. Would you care if a room in your house was consistently a mess? Everything has a place down there. He just doesn't put them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,358,820 times
I think you are doing the right thing by letting him have his personal space. If you force the issue, like your friend advises, you might wind up having a strain in your relationship.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,055,673 times
What's it to the visiting friend how your house is kept? Yeesh.

As long as the rest of the house is neat, I think everyone can stand to have their own space to keep as they wish. My dad sounds like your hubby. He had a workbench that overflowed onto counters and into cupboards over the years, my mother hated it, but it was still only one corner of the basement in a room that wasn't used for company. The rest of the house was spotless.

Since SO and I are buying a house this year, we're both purging our homes so as not to carry too much useless stuff into the new place, but we're still going to need a catch-all area in our home for stuff that doesn't quite have a place but we can't bear to part with. I thought every home had something like that.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
(I know, I know first world problems, but bare with me.)

If you're married or in a LTR and living together, do/did one or both of you have a room or space that is yours alone? My husband has a lot of junk, that I don't want laying around the house, so he has most of the basement jokingly called his "man cave". Has his guitars, office, camera equipment etc... I sahm, so I tidy the house, but I don't tidy down there. It's not a shared space. I'm not responsible for it and unless he has something he specifically wants to show me, I give him privacy.

We had a play date today and the visiting friend seemed to think that I should force the issue and make him tidy it up. The cleaning lady comes in bi-weekly and she makes an attempt at his godawful mess after everything else is done, but really, I'm content to leave him to his mess. I didn't think it was an issue. He's a grown man he can tidy or not tidy his room.

Is there something wrong with personal spaces? Should I care about the mess? Me and the kids aren't living in it so I figured it doesn't matter. Would you care if a room in your house was consistently a mess? Everything has a place down there. He just doesn't put them away.
Out of sight, out of mind. I'd leave it alone because it wouldn't be worth the battle to me.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,748,937 times
I don't think I could deal with a room I never had to enter (like a man cave, or a hobby-specific room) being that much of a mess.

I'm insanely clean and organized, and I wouldn't be able to stop wondering if there was moldy food or an insect infestation in the pigstye.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,238,124 times
I wouldn't mind it if the garage or the tool shed was a bit disorganized...

Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
A spouse or partner having their own space they may keep however they wish (within the bounds of it being sanitary), which doesn't infringe upon anybody else's living space, sounds like an ideal setup. People who have that kind of space, where one partner can have their little retreat and the other can have theirs, are fortunate.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I don't think I could deal with a room I never had to enter (like a man cave, or a hobby-specific room) being that much of a mess.

I'm insanely clean and organized, and I wouldn't be able to stop wondering if there was moldy food or an insect infestation in the pigstye.
If you never had to enter it, why would it matter (barring sanitation concerns, obviously)?

I'd probably be delighted with a space that I didn't have to feel was my responsibility to keep organized.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,205 times
If I shared a house with a woman I can agree the rest of the house could be kept to her standards within reasonable limits,
but if it's big enough to give both me and her a room each for recreational purposes and she'd start messing with how untidy it is I would freaken flip.

A cleaning-free zone should be every mans right lol...
do some wood-crafting, metalworking etc maybe brew booze, mead, beer, love it!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM

I don't think a man is anymore entitled to a space to keep as he sees fit than a woman is. It's ideal if each can have a little bit of their own space, I think. Mine would be more office than man-cave, but I would want to keep it as I like it, and I would want it to be MY space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships