Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times

Advertisements

Well, me and this lady whom I am talking to had a text argument tonight. Basically what happened was that she told me she is scared of falling in love and getting attached with me and I replied by saying "why be afraid of that? What do you want? To be stuck where you are in life because of your douchebag ex husband and complain that you are lonely all the time?" I didn't mean to say the word complain because I truly don't mind her opening up to me but she got mad because of that and because she thought my message came off rude and harsh.

Well, I apologized and told her that wasn't the case at all and I wasn't trying to interpreted that all but she just wasn't having any of it and basically blew me off and said she doesn't want to deal with me and that I am just another ******* in her back etc.

So I understood her and basically apologized for what might have came off as a bit harsh but she just wasn't trying to understand that I was just simply telling her that she shouldn't worry about something that can be potentially great between us. She also got mad because I told her she's blowing everything out of proportion and that she's sort of flying off the handle.

Basically, I feel like crap right now because I feel like she was being way too defensive and guarded and just wasn't trying to accept my apology and hear me out but calls me an ******* and says she's not taking crap from someone 6 years younger than her. Meanwhile, I let her speak her peace, understood her and apologized for how she took what I said as an attack but still tried getting my point across and at the same time just trying to nullify the situation with light hearted stuff like saying "lets just hug it out" etc.

What the hell? I feel like I handled this situation like adults should, I don't know, maybe I am SO wrong but I am not noticing how wrong I am? Or have I did what I had to do and she's just not trying to own up to her mistakes and maybe knows she overreacted?

Ugh. I don't know why I bother trying to find love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,534 times
2 questions.... How old is she? and your age would be?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
Well Lital... u may have been a little harsh and slightly insensitive, but it is not wrong to tell someone how u feel or to stand up for yourself enough to get your point across. Sometimes it really is not what u say, but how u say it. She probably was really trying to see how if the two of u are feeling the same thing. It sounds like your lady friend has baggage from bad relationship. She may make u pay for it. Especially since there is an age difference. She may see u as a boy and treat u accordingly. Then u will get caught up in having to prove ur a man and her equal in the relationship. U may want to think about this in terms of what is best for u. She sounds hi-maintenance. If u don't mind go for it. Don't beat yourself up -men say stuff all the time... It's what u guys do. U apologized and that is enough, so let it be. Good luck to u

Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Well, me and this lady whom I am talking to had a text argument tonight. Basically what happened was that she told me she is scared of falling in love and getting attached with me and I replied by saying "why be afraid of that? What do you want? To be stuck where you are in life because of your douchebag ex husband and complain that you are lonely all the time?" I didn't mean to say the word complain because I truly don't mind her opening up to me but she got mad because of that and because she thought my message came off rude and harsh.

Well, I apologized and told her that wasn't the case at all and I wasn't trying to interpreted that all but she just wasn't having any of it and basically blew me off and said she doesn't want to deal with me and that I am just another ******* in her back etc.

So I understood her and basically apologized for what might have came off as a bit harsh but she just wasn't trying to understand that I was just simply telling her that she shouldn't worry about something that can be potentially great between us. She also got mad because I told her she's blowing everything out of proportion and that she's sort of flying off the handle.

Basically, I feel like crap right now because I feel like she was being way too defensive and guarded and just wasn't trying to accept my apology and hear me out but calls me an ******* and says she's not taking crap from someone 6 years younger than her. Meanwhile, I let her speak her peace, understood her and apologized for how she took what I said as an attack but still tried getting my point across and at the same time just trying to nullify the situation with light hearted stuff like saying "lets just hug it out" etc.

What the hell? I feel like I handled this situation like adults should, I don't know, maybe I am SO wrong but I am not noticing how wrong I am? Or have I did what I had to do and she's just not trying to own up to her mistakes and maybe knows she overreacted?

Ugh. I don't know why I bother trying to find love.
Having an argument via text is akin to cutting the lawn with a pair of scissors. Why would you be so silly? Pick up the damn phone and talk. No one can tell anything about what you are saying, when they are reading it. TONE is at least 50% of a conversation. Without it, you can't possibly have a conversation with anyone.

THAT is where you messed up. Yeah...pretty dumb. But learn from it.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I agree - why argue by text? Text can be very misleading.

But also maybe you should move on. Why would she just complain about being lonely but keep using her ex-husband as an excuse? She may just enjoy her own pity-party too much to be any kind of companion.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Having an argument via text is akin to cutting the lawn with a pair of scissors. Why would you be so silly? Pick up the damn phone and talk. No one can tell anything about what you are saying, when they are reading it. TONE is at least 50% of a conversation. Without it, you can't possibly have a conversation with anyone.

THAT is where you messed up. Yeah...pretty dumb. But learn from it.
I did call her, but she was so mad that she was "too angry" to talk over the phone. I tried finding a common ground and explaining to her 100 times how the tone was nothing like she imagined it to be. She just started giving me crap about how she's not going to be "talked down" by someone 6 years younger than her etc (she's 30 I am 24). It pissed me off because she just seemed to not want to listen to reason or at least notice that I was just trying to make peace. She also seemed like she didn't like the fact that I told her that she blew things out of proportion and that she is flying off the handle.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I agree - why argue by text? Text can be very misleading.

But also maybe you should move on. Why would she just complain about being lonely but keep using her ex-husband as an excuse? She may just enjoy her own pity-party too much to be any kind of companion.
Yeah, I agree. She definitely lets all the negative prevent her from exploring any positive. She's scared of falling in love but she always wants it, I just don't understand why she just won't go for it?

I just kind of want to drop the relationship because I don't deserve this B.S.. I brought her a present for her birthday (that JUST passed) and she's focusing on me being an "*******", it makes me just want to break a hole through the wall.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Move on.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Regardless, I ended the conversation by telling her I still love her and I have no hard feelings, just so there won't be any tension but she just seems to stubborn and stuck in her ways of bad relationships to accept my approach.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
Everyone is right on something, but I would probably feel offended if someone told me that when I was being vulerable. I mean I don't know but if you have had a bad past or a past that you don't want to remember, you might want to feel defensive and guarded about it. Yeah, I understand that you were just telling her how you feel but I don't think that was a good idea either. That probably had trigger her memories and pain. You apologized and that's what really matters so don't feel too bad. Sometimes people just don't see that they are stuck and really need help (whether it is therapy or not), and it's really hard for someone to see something that they can't see yet. If she decided to keep acting like that when you already apologized, just forget about it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships