Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphillydude75 View Post
i noticed the female security guard in the store yeseterday watching stare at another's girl's butt while i was standing in line lol

i will admit that i don't like to be caught staring at someone's butt or feet in public
lol

Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Most men, like women, are decent human beings. I use common sense where needed. Going to the cinemas, I can trust that the vast majority of men have more control over themselves than a toddler. If all else fails, the worst thing he might do in a public theatre is try to grab me. If I don't brake his nose when I elbow him the face, I'm pretty sure the manager will want to know what's going on in their cinema. It's a pretty safe bet. You're worrying about miniscule odds.
My comment was to the post that I quoted.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
There was a time when women routinely wore hats with decorative hat pins. In those days, women were advised to wield their hatpins as a weapon in theaters or anyplace they might run into men who were inappropriate with them. I remember in highschool being instructed on how to deal with a stranger's hand that might suddenly appear on one's knee in a dark theater. These concerns are hardly new or unfounded.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I remember in highschool being instructed on how to deal with a stranger's hand that might suddenly appear on one's knee in a dark theater.
I would imagine it would be no different than dealing with a hand on your knee in any other place or situation, right? If you like the person, you hold their hand, if you're indifferent you do nothing, and if you dislike the person or otherwise feel uncomfortable you move their hand, ask them to remove it, or move to another seat.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I would imagine it would be no different than dealing with a hand on your knee in any other place or situation, right? If you like the person, you hold their hand, if you're indifferent you do nothing, and if you dislike the person or otherwise feel uncomfortable you move their hand, ask them to remove it, or move to another seat.
Talking about a stranger here, not someone you entered the theater with. We were told to grab the pinky finger and yank it backwards, to cause serious pain. A jab from a hatpin would be a lot easier, but that fashion was way before our time.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Talking about a stranger here, not someone you entered the theater with.
I understood. I stand by the range of options. Sometimes people are attracted to strangers and may wish to reciprocate. Other times they aren't, and may tell the person politely but directly that they're not interested. Still other times they may be totally creeped out and may want to get away from the person as quickly as possible.

Quote:
We were told to grab the pinky finger and yank it backwards,
Jesus. Unless the person is indicating that they are trying to assault you, that seems like an incredibly harsh response. Where was this and when?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I understood. I stand by the range of options. Sometimes people are attracted to strangers and may wish to reciprocate. Other times they aren't, and may tell the person politely but directly that they're not interested. Still other times they may be totally creeped out and may want to get away from the person as quickly as possible.

Jesus. Unless the person is indicating that they are trying to assault you, that seems like an incredibly harsh response. Where was this and when?
It's completely inappropriate for a complete stranger to put their hand on a girl's knee in a dark theater, are you serious?! It could be argued that that is a type of assault. Some older men get excited by the presence pubescent girls, and can't control themselves. The lesson was about defending oneself against that. And why should the girl have to move? Why shouldn't the offender have to move or leave the theater? Nowadays I might advise women to cause a scene and yell, "Get your hand off me, you creep!" and scream, to embarrass the guy, though the other theater patrons wouldn't be happy...

Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM

Wow. Well, I guess I'm glad that the time and place I'm from had kinder women and/or I was good at guessing which ones had a reciprocal interest in me. I've put moves on strangers and have had strangers put moves on me. When the attraction is mutual, it can be very exciting and a huge turn-on.

I had no idea you were referring to grown men and pubescent girls, by the way-- I wasn't. That changes things considerably, since underage people can't legally consent to such things anyway.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM

But you weren't in the habit of walking up to a girl you'd never seen before in a dark theater, sitting next to her, and clamping your hand on her knee, were you? You do realize that's not normal behavior, right?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
But you weren't in the habit of walking up to a girl you'd never seen before in a dark theater, sitting next to her, and clamping your hand on her knee, were you? You do realize that's not normal behavior, right?
"Clamping" would definitely fall more under the realm of assault, I agree. I would never forcefully grab a stranger. I was envisioning just a hand placed on a knee. I don't think I've ever done this in a theater with a complete stranger, no, and I wouldn't unless there had been some flirting or non-verbals indicating that the attraction/interest was mutual. If I did and I happened to misjudge cues, though, I would expect my hand to be moved, or the woman to move away from me, or at worst a dirty look or harsh word, not an attempted injury. I've just never encountered that, and hope I never do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships