Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,465,904 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm an oddball or not but I cringe when someone gives me a gift. I am really practical so I don't want or need much. I can't lie to save my life and everything shows on my face. So when I open a gift it always makes me apprehensive. What if I hate it? And if I do, I know I can't hide it. I hate getting gifts. Anyone else?

Just give me something like soap or shampoo. At least I will use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,154,179 times
I always react that way if I didn't get the other person a gift. If I'm exchanging gifts with someone, the guilt factor isn't there. But I still feel a bit like you do, because if I had a choice in the matter, I think I'd buy all the things I want/need for myself, instead of letting others do any of that for me. I'd rather just be with people I care about, and I don't really want them to have to worry about buying me things. And I've never understood people asking significant others to buy them expensive jewelry.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM

591 posts, read 1,417,839 times
not me I love getting presents..i'm worse then the kids at christmas lol..and they don't have to be expensive..i just love presents..u can get me a candle that cost three dollars and that makes me as happy as something expensive..

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,452 times
I love the holiday season, but don't like the pressure of giving gifts. I mean, all we're doing is making these corporate investors pockets filled with money for an item that we will never use after 1 month.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 17,004,006 times
That's funny.

I feel the same way. I don't like being put on the spot.

I also feel obligated to return the favor. Then again, if you don't allow people to give you things...you are robbing them of the opportunity to feel good about themselves. We always accept a gift from a small child no matter what it is. Even if it's a gum wrapper we go.."OOooooh thanks sweetheart." I guess we should never lose that.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,725,187 times
If it's a gift I can use and the person actually heard me say my desire for it and was trying to please me, well, then of course I'll accept it gladly.

Unfortunately, many gifts I get are usually what the other person thinks I should have in my life, and since I'm very particular in my needs, it's usually not appreciated enough.

There should be gift registries for Birthdays and Holidays, not just Weddings only. It would make things so much easier!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM

105 posts, read 214,826 times
Hate to receive gifts! Be as creative giving as you are receiving.

Joy, Joy, Joy.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,154,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I forgot all about that aspect of it for some reason. It seems that the older I get, the crappier job I do of maintaining a poker face, and the more guilty I feel if I fail to do that, since I'd hate to make someone feel bad for no reason!

Quote:
We always accept a gift from a small child no matter what it is. Even if it's a gum wrapper we go.."OOooooh thanks sweetheart." I guess we should never lose that.
I agree--the rules have to be different with kids. They mean well and we don't want to take that away from them or discourage that sentiment.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,452 times
you know what I hate? Weddings and Wedding registries. That takes the fun out of receiving 10 million of the same plates.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,465,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
not me I love getting presents..i'm worse then the kids at christmas lol..and they don't have to be expensive..i just love presents..u can get me a candle that cost three dollars and that makes me as happy as something expensive..
You are lucky. Keep being a kid it's a really good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's funny.

I also feel obligated to return the favor. Then again, if you don't allow people to give you things...you are robbing them of the opportunity to feel good about themselves. We always accept a gift from a small child no matter what it is. Even if it's a gum wrapper we go.."OOooooh thanks sweetheart." I guess we should never lose that.
With kids it's different. I think it is more from the heart from kids and I love that. I could never break a kids heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
There should be gift registries for Birthdays and Holidays, not just Weddings only. It would make things so much easier!
Ha ha. That's a great idea. There would also be a lot less returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships