Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,813 times

Advertisements

Gentlemen: please refrain from using the word "gold digger" or any kind of word that implies that since that is not the purpose of this thread.

Mods: please purge any post that do the above ^

I'm going to be teaching soon so my income is going to be around 45k and when I hit the top of the pay scale(after about 20 years), my salary should be around 75k-80k. When I first decided I wanted to be a teacher I was okay with this, but I've been getting a few conflicting messages about it from. Because it's at the primary level, just about nearly everyone I work with are females and married. I've been told by a couple that she doesn't really care what type of school she teaches in(privates normally pay less) because her husband makes six figures and another one told me that not being able to pull in six figures looks really bad on my part. The end result is that it has made me second guess my choice to teach and do it at the level I teach at(some women seemed to be turned off by guys who work with primary aged children because it's not considered masculine) even though I like it because I won't be able to compare to guys 20-30 years from now who are pulling in more than I'll be earning.

So I'm just wondering what is your range for an acceptable income for you all while/when you are/were dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,513,170 times
Decent to me anything is over $100K.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 PM

523 posts, read 840,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Decent to me anything is over $100K.
I agree but it's all relative- depends where you live etc

Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Honestly, "decent salary" is relative.

Much depends on where in the country/world you live.

Most young women just want to know that their future mate is going to be able to take care of them and any kids they have. They don't expect to marry a millionaire, they just want to be comfortable - live in a decent place, drive reliable cars, take a yearly vacation to the beach, get the kids braces, etc.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,813 times
The only places I know of where my salary could be six figures are in areas where the COL is higher since salaries are scaled according to the COL.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,809 times
I wouldn't worry about the women who are not interested because you are a teacher and make that salary. Find someone who thinks it is incredible and supports your choice to do something that you chose to do. Money and masculinity is all relative. Every woman is unique and you will find so many variations as to what is acceptable for money and masculinity. Forget the ones that don't think you add up. There is one who will think you do, especially if you believe it. Also, many couples have both parties work even as they raise their children because they understand their financial situation. Some women are more than happy with creating a lifestyle around the income of their partner because they feel fulfilled. Check out blissfullydomestic.com. This gal and her husband have 2 kids and have a $14,000 budget for the whole year for all expenses! A decent living is relative to the lifestyle you want to live. Some people like having a lot of things and others are fine to be happy, pay their bills and live conservatively.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
its a red flag. it might mean u need to get a job or it could mean u already got a good job and
when i hire my divorce lawyer a few years later, i will be on the higher ground.
this however is not reality. 38% of women married out earn their husbands.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
Enough to be comfortable. I'm not big on material possessions so as long as we can afford to live comfortably and not have to worry about finances obsessively I'm a super happy camper.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,852,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Gentlemen: please refrain from using the word "gold digger" or any kind of word that implies that since that is not the purpose of this thread.

Mods: please purge any post that do the above ^

I'm going to be teaching soon so my income is going to be around 45k and when I hit the top of the pay scale(after about 20 years), my salary should be around 75k-80k. When I first decided I wanted to be a teacher I was okay with this, but I've been getting a few conflicting messages about it from. Because it's at the primary level, just about nearly everyone I work with are females and married. I've been told by a couple that she doesn't really care what type of school she teaches in(privates normally pay less) because her husband makes six figures and another one told me that not being able to pull in six figures looks really bad on my part. The end result is that it has made me second guess my choice to teach and do it at the level I teach at(some women seemed to be turned off by guys who work with primary aged children because it's not considered masculine) even though I like it because I won't be able to compare to guys 20-30 years from now who are pulling in more than I'll be earning.

So I'm just wondering what is your range for an acceptable income for you all while/when you are/were dating?
Do you have troubles getting women now?

If you are really good with women, then being a teacher shouldn't hurt you that much.

If you are bad, it definitely won't help you at all.

Also, stay away from the women like the ones you mentioned at work. Even if you did make six figures, they're just nasty people.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,513,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I agree but it's all relative- depends where you live etc

True. It comes down to quality of life and what salary one is happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships