Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,521,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Not necessarily. What if they retired at 35, planned accordingly, and died nearly broke? They were rich (in wealth and investments) when they retired, but it slowly trickled away.

I have zero expect or desire for my parents to leave me any money when they die. They raised me well enough to take care of myself. I would rather them not die rich. I'd rather have them retire earlier and relax more than work longer so they may have money to leave us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
They passed away when? This mean he/she was wealthy for certain amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,796,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
I don't. What are you trying to say?
What I am trying to say, is what I said: That is not a measure of a person how rich someone gets. At least they will not be more valuable to the people/community around them.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,391,010 times
Quote:
They passed away when? This mean he/she was wealthy for certain amount of time.
Who cares? Some people habe zero desire to be wealthy, be it with possessions or in the bank account. I am not one of them, but in some ways I admire those that are easily content with what they have.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,819,841 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. What if they retired at 35, planned accordingly, and died nearly broke? They were rich (in wealth and investments) when they retired, but it slowly trickled away.

I have zero expect or desire for my parents to leave me any money when they die. They raised me well enough to take care of myself. I would rather them not die rich. I'd rather have them retire earlier and relax more than work longer so they may have money to leave us.

This is what I want for my parents and in-laws. My Great-Aunt sat on money. It grew and grew and grew. We told her she was going to die rich and never do anything cool or exciting. She died and she left us all money and a charity. I thought that was SO SAD. She should have lived and enjoyed that money!!!!!

Quote:
If you spend your wealth on depreciating items than your wealth is decreasing.
YES! We spend money on the things we enjoy doing. We earned it, we spend it! As long as we've saved enough for retirement and the things we need, what is left over is there to spend as we please. Money is no good to us when we're dead.

Quote:
I don't. What are you trying to say?
The poster's goal, if I understood right, is to enjoy life. He who dies with the most doesn't win. I think he who dies with the most people mourning him wins.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What I am trying to say, is what I said: That is not a measure of a person how rich someone gets. At least they will not be more valuable to the people/community around them.
It depends. They could be doing volunteer service while being wealthy. Lot of the people can't do that without wealth.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Who cares? Some people habe zero desire to be wealthy, be it with possessions or in the bank account. I am not one of them, but in some ways I admire those that are easily content with what they have.

I know. Wealth to me is security. Not materialistic.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
This is what I want for my parents and in-laws. My Great-Aunt sat on money. It grew and grew and grew. We told her she was going to die rich and never do anything cool or exciting. She died and she left us all money and a charity. I thought that was SO SAD. She should have lived and enjoyed that money!!!!!jkj

YES! We spend money on the things we enjoy doing. We earned it, we spend it! As long as we've saved enough for retirement and the things we need, what is left over is there to spend as we please. Money is no good to us when we're dead.

The poster's goal, if I understood right, is to enjoy life. He who dies with the most doesn't win. I think he who dies with the most people mourning him wins.
So what did she do in her life? Profession? Money can be spent for fun as long as one is still secure financially after spending it.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,881,443 times
It all depends on how good looking the women you want to date are.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,819,841 times
Quote:
So what did she do in her life? Profession? Money can be spent for fun as long as one is still secure financially after spending it.
My Great-Aunt? She was a housewife. Her husband was a banker in London who died back in the 70's. She died in 2006(?). To the best of my knowledge she never dated or remarried. She had a lot of money, but I think she would have been happier if she did something with it besides being wealthy for the sake of being wealthy. It's not like she grew up poor and clung to it. I'm not going to be like that.

He who dies with the most toys wins. That's the saying I've heard. My purpose in life is not to accumulate wealth. There are so many other ways to live life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships