Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 AM

4,338 posts, read 7,521,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Silly question to me.

It's like saying do I really want to be dated for my charm or her for her looks?

What one has to offer is what one has to offer.

I like beauty they like nice things....it is what it is.
What about love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Well, I don't see the point of waiting entirely until I'm 40 something. Before I had kids, I wanted to enjoy my life. Now I have kids, I want them to enjoy their childhood. If something happened and I died young, all that money saved for tomorrow is never enjoyed.

And I've financed things when it was available for 0%. Just because I can pay for something in cash, doesn't mean that I should. My money was invested to make more money, while I paid 0% interest on car payments. I don't see anything wrong with that.
This does not mean you are going to live in a cave with minimum needs till 40 either.

If one dies young, than there isn't a soul on the planet that will tell you they did not enjoy something becayse they are dead!

You can make your money worthwhile by leaving to heirs and donations.

0% financing is a smart strategy. Even better than Cash in a lot of instances.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Are you being serious? That seems like a very empty way to live.
Maybe ask Hugh Hefner? Did the women he dated loved him?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
That's what they call superficial and materialistic. I didn't mean to insult anyone, and I didn't make this up. It is up to them to live like this, but don't look down to people who don't show off wealth/money who are not like this. In many cultures showing off wealth is considered a personality flaw. Again, I didn't make this up.
You can show off or you hide your money. It does not matter especially in USA.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
This does not mean you are going to live in a cave with minimum needs till 40 either.

If one dies young, than there isn't a soul on the planet that will tell you they did not enjoy something becayse they are dead!
We have plenty of life insurance. We have college money set aside for the kids. We have retirement savings. We have emergency savings and a budget. We'll spend our money as we see fit. I'm not trying to gather wealth to pass onto the next generation. My family live now.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,796,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
We have plenty of life insurance. We have college money set aside for the kids. We have retirement savings. We have emergency savings and a budget. We'll spend our money as we see fit. I'm not trying to gather wealth to pass onto the next generation. My family live now.
If you have sorted all major expenses (house, college...) and still left a lot of money, then I guess it makes sense to spend some money on enjoyment. On the other hand some people spend all their savings and all their assets to show off. For example someone earning $30k buys a car on loan for $30k to show off when he owns no home or anything else.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
If you have sorted all major expenses (house, college...) and still left a lot of money, then I guess it makes sense to spend some money on enjoyment. On the other hand some people spend all their savings and all their assets to show off. For example someone earning $30k buys a car on loan for $30k to show off when he owns no home or anything else.
I don't know about a lot of money left over. But we can buy quality. I don't hunt for the best bargain, I look for things that are well made and last at a reasonable price. It doesn't have to be flashy, but should last if taken care of properly. We can afford vacations and visits to family overseas. We can afford cars, but don't own a car because we don't need one and to make us use active transportation. We can afford a bigger house, but we have this house due to location, maturity of the neighbourhood, walking and cycling distance to most things we want to do etc...

We aren't scrimping and saving. But we don't spend to show off. We buy what we need and want.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,342,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I never understood women who were concerned about a mans salary or his ability to support them financially. Perhaps I am wired wrong, but I was taught it was incumbent on me to provide for myself and never to rely on a man to put a roof over my head.
There was a time when women weren't in the workforce, as late as the 1960s & 70s.
The world has changed a lot since then...

The women's movement has had a great impact on the workforce and women's earning power.
Not enough, but significant strides.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,391,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There was a time when women weren't in the workforce, as late as the 1960s & 70s.
The world has changed a lot since then...

The women's movement has had a great impact on the workforce and women's earning power.
Not enough, but significant strides.
And more qualified men have been getting looked over so that less qualified women can get the jobs, ever since lol..

Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,623,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
And more qualified men have been getting looked over so that less qualified women can get the jobs, ever since lol..
Because you know, a woman can do everything a man can! As long as you lower the bar low enough, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships