Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,997,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What about those young men who get constantly subsidized by their wealthy parents? For example they might not have a good job/income/skills but have an expensive car and a house paid off by their parents. Many women seem to like this type too. Does it matter where the money comes from?
rare--but can be found in urban enclaves like Manhattan....

these trust fund babies with no accomplishments and an inheritance are normally bad people...no there there...

and saying you will have access to money and having money is not analogous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:17 AM

4,338 posts, read 7,521,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
This used to be my mindset, and still is sort of in theory/principle. The problem is, in reality, that having significantly different incomes really affects the sorts of things you do on dates and for fun, unless one person is going to be regularly paying for the other person, which creates a weird dynamic for those of us who like our relationships to be egalitarian.

For example, my salary is $60-70K, which means in my area I can pretty much go out for food, drinks, shows, etc. when and where I want, within reason. Someone who makes $30K can't, so if I date her I'm either going to be paying for her most of the time or we're going to be spending most of our evenings at home watching TV. On the other end of the spectrum, if I'm dating someone who makes $200K, she can afford to vacation just about anytime she wants, including internationally a few times a year, which I can't. That means she'll either be paying for me most of the time or she'll be going on her own.

I like to think love can overcome all of this, and with compromise I think it can, but it does complicate things. It's simpler to date someone with a similar income level and lifestyle to mine.
A wealthy person who became wealthy from nothing is most likely to be frugal on dates. Relationships should be about material things. Do you think spending a lot of money on date will build on chemistry?

One could be making $100K a year in your area and never goes out, drinks, shows, etc.
A $30K a year can if they want to live paycheck to paycheck with no savings and investments.

Also, a $30K could retire 10 years earlier financially than someone who made $250K a year with no investments.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 AM

4,338 posts, read 7,521,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie stix View Post
Decent salary = paying bills, plus room for growth and extra money. It's about having a comfortable lifestyle.

Lifestyles are dependent upon your income. Each time your income changes, so should your lifestyle. Sometimes we move forward, sometimes we move back. There will always be a sliding scale.

It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought, especially future thought. And to me that's more important than what you're going to do with your decent salary. After all, that's your choice. It's your money.
I disagree. If I am making $30K a year now and next year I made $100K a year. My lifestyle would remain the same but savings/investments would increase.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,390,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
I disagree. If I am making $30K a year now and next year I made $100K a year. My lifestyle would remain the same but savings/investments would increase.
Oh yeah? Have you been in this situation? Part of me doubts it. Especially from 30k-100k. Huge difference in average of standard of living. Very minimal at 30k. Its much easier to say than do.

Not saying some people dont, but its very rare.

Since I finished school in 2009 my income has increased a minimim of 20% a year with last year increasing over 40k and this year at least another 20k. While I dont blow through every dollar (ive even saved over 10k the last 2.5 months) to say my standard of living is close to where I started would be stretching it a lot. I mean my amount of groceries alone has over doubled just due to diet changes. Going from around 200/mo to around 500/mo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,929,383 times
Quote:
A wealthy person who became wealthy from nothing is most likely to be frugal on dates. Relationships should be about material things. Do you think spending a lot of money on date will build on chemistry?

One could be making $100K a year in your area and never goes out, drinks, shows, etc.
A $30K a year can if they want to live paycheck to paycheck with no savings and investments.

Also, a $30K could retire 10 years earlier financially than someone who made $250K a year with no investments.
It may be an urban thing, but in my experience people are generally not at all frugal on dates, and will spend what they can afford to spend when it comes to entertainment.

I agree 100% with everything else you said, none of which contradicts anything I said.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Possibly, but that would make you highly abnormal. Many people say that, but very few actually do.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,948,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
It may be an urban thing, but in my experience people are generally not at all frugal on dates, and will spend what they can afford to spend when it comes to entertainment.

I agree 100% with everything else you said, none of which contradicts anything I said.
I don't think it's a urban thing and more of a personality thing. Having lived in a city, I wide range of people who spend like there's no tomorrow and people who are more modest in how they spend.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,997,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
That's funny that SO many girls are like this, yet if men had this same attitude it just wouldn't work out.

It isn't even always so much salary as it is your actual job title and your education. I work in the oil field and sit in an office about 80% of the day. I made over 100k last year at 24 years old and will make a lot more this year.

I have had some girls discount me simply because they had their bachelors degree and I do not. And they have told me this directly. I find this amusing because I make more than most the engineers I work with and far more than a lot of people with degrees.

It really makes no difference to me but I do find it surprising sometimes.. I would never date a girl who would judge someone based on this anyways..
I had the same thing afflict me. I joined the Navy, got a Top Secret Clearance, and was hired as a consultant by a Middle Tier Large Management Consulting firm for a project. well, the project ended, but they kept me on. Most of the other consultants had MBAs from #10-#20 nationally ranked MBA programs. I had no degree but our salaries were about the same. I think i made a bit less, bit not by much.

When I tried to date chicks in DC and Manhattan the top tier women would look down on my working class boot straps story.

later, when I became a defense contractor I made 225k a year downrange and the silly American women had no clue....

It;s nice to know there are those of us out there that have the title and the bucks by non-traditional ways...I flew on a plane back from Thailand a few days ago with a man who was a partner at law firm who never had a law degree...

Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,390,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I had the same thing afflict me. I joined the Navy, got a Top Secret Clearance, and was hired as a consultant by a Middle Tier Large Management Consulting firm for a project. well, the project ended, but they kept me on. Most of the other consultants had MBAs from #10-#20 nationally ranked MBA programs. I had no degree but our salaries were about the same. I think i made a bit less, bit not by much.

When I tried to date chicks in DC and Manhattan the top tier women would look down on my working class boot straps story.

later, when I became a defense contractor I made 225k a year downrange and the silly American women had no clue....

It;s nice to know there are those of us out there that have the title and the bucks by non-traditional ways...I flew on a plane back from Thailand a few days ago with a man who was a partner at law firm who never had a law degree...
Lol this is me to a T. Perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I don't think it's a urban thing
Me neither, hence why I said "maybe." I was trying to be nice and give the ironically named Info Guy an out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships