Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,248,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Women want a man who makes more money than them, regardless if they make 50K or 350K. It's part of the alpha status they want to see from men.
This is an interesting "which came first" statement. Is a man alpha because women flock to him or do women flock to him because he is an alpha. It's the former in this example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:53 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,431,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
former public school teacher......live on the east coast. MOST women here look down on men that teach. They can lie and say they don't all they want, but it is the absolute truth. $75K won't get you much here in NYC/NJ. If you can find a women that makes your same salary you will be doing pretty good. You won't be rich but two $75K salaries will be a definite upgrade from one. I WOULD CONCENTRATE MORE ON FINDING A WOMAN THAT HAS MINIMUM DEBT. CONCENTRATE ON FINDING ONE THAT IS CLOSE TO OR ABSOLUTELY DEBT FREE.

FORGET ABOUT THE SIX FIGURE MAKING WOMEN. A lot of them are a headache. GO FOR MINIMUM/NO DEBT. Best of luck out here dude.

What do you folks do on here? Trade W2s/1099s for expense reports?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,903,302 times
Quote:
former public school teacher......live on the east coast. MOST women here look down on men that teach. They can lie and say they don't all they want, but it is the absolute truth. $75K won't get you much here in NYC/NJ. If you can find a women that makes your same salary you will be doing pretty good. You won't be rich but two $75K salaries will be a definite upgrade from one. I WOULD CONCENTRATE MORE ON FINDING A WOMAN THAT HAS MINIMUM DEBT. CONCENTRATE ON FINDING ONE THAT IS CLOSE TO OR ABSOLUTELY DEBT FREE.

FORGET ABOUT THE SIX FIGURE MAKING WOMEN. A lot of them are a headache. GO FOR MINIMUM/NO DEBT. Best of luck out here dude.
I don't know about where you live, but we've got a couple guys in our extended family that are teachers...I've never heard anything negative.

I can't say I know about the dating lives of all my kids' teachers. I do know to the extent they have had male teachers, I think most of them had been married. So simply being a teacher doesn't seem to be a barrier to marriage.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 AM

805 posts, read 1,562,767 times
Quote:

I can tell you no one I know looks down on teachers. If not for teachers I would have never realized I loved science, would not have had the guts to apply to graduate school, the list is endless. I still communicate with a few of my HS teachers. I would have been happy to date a teacher.

Oops, I should clarify, date a teacher...not date MY teacher lol.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,948,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Women want a man who makes more money than them, regardless if they make 50K or 350K. It's part of the alpha status they want to see from men.
I personally believe that the only people who want to see "alpha status" from men who are the PUA who sell that lingo to young men.

To update you guys on this topic: I met someone who thinks it is cool that I'm going into teaching. Admittedly, when I first old her what I was doing, I was expecting her to run away like some of the other women I've talked to after I told them what my career of choice is so that's a good thing

Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,622,365 times
I don't think I've ever had a requirement of a guy making xxx amount of dollars, except for maybe on dating websites where you are required to plug in a salary range you want for your mate. In those cases, I always put the same as me or higher, sometimes lower depending on what I was making at the time.

My main concern is you know how to manage money to take care of yourself and smart enough to not have to rely on me to survive. There's no magical number for that really because I have seen guys who make 35k handle themselves pretty well and guys who made 100k who did not.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,820,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I personally believe that the only people who want to see "alpha status" from men who are the PUA who sell that lingo to young men.

To update you guys on this topic: I met someone who thinks it is cool that I'm going into teaching. Admittedly, when I first old her what I was doing, I was expecting her to run away like some of the other women I've talked to after I told them what my career of choice is so that's a good thing
Thanks for the update!

Yeah, think the women who would have an issue with a teacher are in the minority.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,929,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I don't think I've ever had a requirement of a guy making xxx amount of dollars, except for maybe on dating websites where you are required to plug in a salary range you want for your mate.
No you're not. You can just as easily put "any" for salary range if that's not an important variable to you.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,622,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
No you're not. You can just as easily put "any" for salary range if that's not an important variable to you.
Then I guess I cared to some extent, at least when I was on the dating sites. Like I said, I wanted someone who could take care of himself without relying on others. I have a hard time believing that someone could do so easily in NYC on 25k or less, so I would always leave that equation out.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,992,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Decent to me anything is over $100K.
Ideally, you need to be in my salary neighborhood. 20% +/- give or take. If I make 2X what you do, that is likely a bit unbalanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships