Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,948,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I love education, love teachers.

That being said, the teachers unions here in Ca have raped and pillaged the hell out of the system, outrageously high salaries and incredible benefits, pensions that are unmatched in the private sector... screw'm... I don't wanna hear any whining from them, at least the ones here... every couple of years it's another ballot measure trying to get more money from the tax payers claiming its for the kids. My MIL is the biggest hardcore toe-tag liberal democrat and she is even getting pissed off about this issue here.....

No sympathy from me on this subject...

Can we leave our political views out of this. This topic isn't about whether someone thinks teachers wages are too high or their compensation. I'm strictly talking about my dating life and how my choice of career will impact it given the signals I've been given in real life by women who are already married or are looking to get married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I think it would have been interesting if the women who answered the OP's question with a $number$ had also told us where they live, so we had an idea for cost of living.

$100k would have you living the high live in some areas, but wouldn't allow you to buy a starter home, in others.
Yeah I've been trying to decide to which areas I want to apply to based on the amount of activity that draws young single to an area(a city) while also keeping in mind the price of housing since I don't want to be stuck in an area where I can't afford to buy a house when I feel like I'm ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 08:18 PM

22,442 posts, read 29,604,162 times
Anything over 100K and I do agree its relative to where you live. 100K in NYC/Miami/LA isn't that good compared to Iowa, lol.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,788,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can't quite agree.

You don't have to be "rich" to have one parent stay at home - not at all.

You DO have to have a good plan in place, learn to live within your means, and know how to compromise.
Well your husband must be well off, and you already paid for your house. What i mean by rich is 60% of families are living below the poverty level. Further i also don't mean getting into debt to do it. further i agree where you live plays a factor.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well your husband must be well off, and you already paid for your house. What i mean by rich is 60% of families are living below the poverty level. Further i also don't mean getting into debt to do it. further i agree where you live plays a factor.
Again, no - we've still got a mortgage like so many other folks .

You really need to educate yourself on this issue, as you seem to have many preconceived incorrect notions and inaccurate info.

As of 2012 roughly 15.5% of Americans live below the poverty level - certainly no where near your claim of 60%.

With a team approach, some good financial planning and personal sacrifice, middle class folks can and do live on one income. You don't have to "rich", just smart about it.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,929,738 times
Quote:
60% of families are living below the poverty level.
And your source for that statistic would be....your arse?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,523,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Ladies: what do you guys mean when you say you want a spouse who makes a decent salary
Enough not to worry (too much) about money, I'd imagine.

[and sometimes that amount doesn't have to be that much]

Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,820,334 times
Quote:
We have a mortgage. Our line of credit is paid off and our credit cards are paid at the end of every months. We don't have any debt besides our big arse mortgage. In ten years, I've taken 3 maternity leaves of one year each with the standard 55% Employment Insurance income. I quit my job 2 years ago. So I've been home with the kids 5 years out of 10 and have been at zero income for 2 out of the 10 years.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,251,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Anything over 100K and I do agree its relative to where you live. 100K in NYC/Miami/LA isn't that good compared to Iowa, lol.
It's more difficult to earn 100K in Iowa, though.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,948,834 times
Just a question to the people saying 100k: how much do you guys on your own make?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM

523 posts, read 841,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Just a question to the people saying 100k: how much do you guys on your own make?
Over 100K, but not a guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships