Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:15 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP made it pretty clear that she was just more or less posting it for informational/entertainment purposes and that it's not something seriously affecting her relationship.
It has definitely been entertaining! I'm waiting for the sequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Man, even I think y'all are being way harsh.

I get it. After 13 years, yes it's kinda weird to bring it up, but it's definitely not the stupidest thing anyone ever posted here.

I would be frustrated because to me it signifies a lack of planning, which I find to be a very unattractive quality.

It also could make you feel like you're just an item on a list to be crossed off.

Gas? Check.
Tap the MAC (whatever the heck that is)? Check.
Propose to GF? Check.
Pick up dry cleaning? Check.

OP, just tell him.
So true Wmsn4Life. This used to drive me crazy with my ex. We were married for 30 years and still had date nights every week. I would make sure that my car was washed and filled up with gas. I would always give myself time to get ready, go shopping for something new to ware, take a shower, etc.

She would rush home at the last minute, change without taking a shower after working all day and say lets go. I always felt like she never respected me enough to at least take the time to prepare for out date.

Another this she did that drove me nuts was take her cell phone in the restaurant and answer it during our meal. Crap if you can't give me your undivided attention for an hour then you make me feel like I'm not important in your life.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
So true Wmsn4Life. This used to drive me crazy with my ex. We were married for 30 years and still had date nights every week. I would make sure that my car was washed and filled up with gas. I would always give myself time to get ready, go shopping for something new to ware, take a shower, etc.

She would rush home at the last minute, change without taking a shower after working all day and say lets go. I always felt like she never respected me enough to at least take the time to prepare for out date.

Another this she did that drove me nuts was take her cell phone in the restaurant and answer it during our meal. Crap if you can't give me your undivided attention for an hour then you make me feel like I'm not important in your life.
Wow. I can see why she's your ex. It's like she never got the concept of what you were doing with the date night, what the whole point was.

Wow. She just wasn't into it.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
To the people who think I'm taking it way too seriously or that I'm a "princess," I don't think you're getting that I admitted this was not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance, and that my boyfriend and I HAVE talked about it, many times, and we've even laughed about it.
Yes, you say it's not a big deal, but then go on for six paragraphs about how annoying it is, that it's gone on for 13 years, not only does it bug you now, it bugs you when you remember when it happened 13 years ago. I question that it's not a big deal to you.

I also don't think combining trips to save time and gas is an insult to anyone. Obviously not stopping at Home Depot to buy mulch when you're dressed for a cocktail party, but is stopping for gas on your way to a restaurant that big of a deal?

Quote:
For example, the last time I had to sit in his car when he got gas, I said, "oh good, now I can bring you with me when I go tampon shopping!"
This just smacks of entitlement. And would he really begrudge you a quick stop to buy tampons? This does sound like being a princess, or if you prefer, very high maintenance. If you've been together for 13 years it must work for both of you.

Last edited by reebo; 06-02-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
It's so funny that you would decide I'm "high maintenance." Anyone who knows me in person would laugh at that. Being high maintenance might involve my not wanting to be exposed to someone else's chores and errands, but expecting them to help me with mine. I keep my annoying errands to myself and don't expect anyone to help.
Really, you're getting the wrong impression by reading stuff into my post that isn't there. This was sort of a roll-eyes, silly annoying peeve post. some people got that.

And if you think that it must bother me immensely because I chose to post at length about it:
1.) check out any of my initial posts; they all tend to be a little wordy. That's me. I break things up into lots of paragraphs because know how annoying it is to a reader when a post is long and a big block of text.
2.) just because I post about something doesn't mean it's a burning issue deeply affecting my life. I've posted similarly about dog poo, cat pee, bad food, good TV, movies, etc.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Good thing you've never dated a car guy...

But as far as annoying errands go, at some point after being with someone, they have to do errands with you. Or else A.) you'll never see them or b.) you'll never get them done.

My life's too busy not to involve the person I am dating in my errands. If they want to see me, I have to kill two birds with one stone, simply because I have no other time.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,565 times
Quote:
It's so funny that you would decide I'm "high maintenance." Anyone who knows me in person would laugh at that. Being high maintenance might involve my not wanting to be exposed to someone else's chores and errands, but expecting them to help me with mine. I keep my annoying errands to myself and don't expect anyone to help.
Really, you're getting the wrong impression by reading stuff into my post that isn't there. This was sort of a roll-eyes, silly annoying peeve post. some people got that.

And if you think that it must bother me immensely because I chose to post at length about it:
1.) check out any of my initial posts; they all tend to be a little wordy. That's me. I break things up into lots of paragraphs because know how annoying it is to a reader when a post is long and a big block of text.
2.) just because I post about something doesn't mean it's a burning issue deeply affecting my life. I've posted similarly about dog poo, cat pee, bad food, good TV, movies, etc.
Are you trying to tell us that you don't appreciate our self importance and false sense of outrage?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I guess I see stopping for gas en route to somewhere as a pretty normal thing. I stop for gas when I need gas, and maybe it's when I'm on my way to a social event, maybe it's when I'm on my way home from work, whenever. I don't know, it just never occurred to me to get in a snit if my SO doesn't make a point to gas up before a date starts. Now, if my BF wanted to take the time to stop and pick out shades of interior paint for home improvement projects en route to a wedding, and wants me to take 45 minutes to traipse through Home Depot in heels and formal wear, that's another thing.

It's obviously totally rude to interrupt a date to run personal errands that have nothing to do with the date, but I guess I just don't put refuelling in the same league. It's just something that needs to be done perioically, maybe when you're on a date, maybe not, and it's not like it's a big interruption or anything. Go get an oil change/tuneup during a date? Out of line. Put fuel in the tank? Nah. It would never occur to me to find that annoying.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
not when we first started dating, but my boyfriend and i always do this haha. we both do it, though. one of us will want to stop for something and the other will go along with it like "oh i need to grab something, too, while we're there." or "thats cool do you mind if i make a pit stop at my friends house to get ____, too since its near where you need to stop?". we're always very late to social events. it doesn't bother either of us and we always have fun no matter what we're doing, but i'm sure it bothers friends and relatives . they just know now to tell us to come an hour before they really want us there.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
It apparantly did not annoy you enough to leave him so why bring it up now?

I am very big on one big round to get things done and honestly I don't care if it is during a date or not. I did try my best to get all errands done before the date but sometimes I just ran out of time before the date so I finished up the errands and they never minded at all. The end result was I was very happy because I got my errands done, we had our date and life moved forward. A few times we would plan on doing errands together which gave us more time to spend together and then we would go to lunch or supper or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships