Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM

494 posts, read 1,918,650 times

Advertisements

First, there is the engagement ring, $5-6k (after tax) is a minimum expectation it seems these days, then wedding bands (another $1k) then the wedding itself... looking around $25-30k seems to be the average, then the honeymoon, another $5k or so... when all is said and done we're talking close to $50k!!

And this seems to be very average, not high end at all.

My question, how do people afford it? Especially considering that marriage often means starting a new family which leads to even more very high expenses - buying a home, family cars, kids etc.

How many people can blow this kind of money and then continue into making expensive choices like buying homes and having kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
1) Loans/credit cards

2) Parents pay for it

3) Some people CAN afford it.

No, getting married does not HAVE to cost that much. BUt $30K is the average for a wedding.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
First, there is the engagement ring, $5-6k (after tax) is a minimum expectation it seems these days, then wedding bands (another $1k) then the wedding itself... looking around $25-30k seems to be the average, then the honeymoon, another $5k or so... when all is said and done we're talking close to $50k!!

And this seems to be very average, not high end at all.

My question, how do people afford it? Especially considering that marriage often means starting a new family which leads to even more very high expenses - buying a home, family cars, kids etc.

How many people can blow this kind of money and then continue into making expensive choices like buying homes and having kids?
No it does not. Find a woman who is happy with a small ring and wedding band, who don't mind getting married at the county courthouse, and who realizes it makes no difference where you go on the honeymoon anyway since you (if you are doing it right) will spend most of it in bed.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
Find a partner that doesn't want any of that.

I don't want an engagement ring, I have no desire for a wedding though I wouldn't say no to a nice honeymoon

I'm guessing if I ever do get married the whole thing will cost less than $500.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:46 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,963,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
1) Loans/credit cards

2) Parents pay for it

3) Some people CAN afford it.

No, getting married does not HAVE to cost that much. BUt $30K is the average for a wedding.
This pretty much sums it up simply and accurately.

Sadly, I might add.... If you find yourself struggling/stressed about spending 30k/50K for a wedding, then either you or your parents are not at least middle to upper class.
Middle to upper class incomes can afford such weddings without excessive credit card debt.

And if you can't afford such a wedding, then scale it down.
Starting a marriage with 20K in wedding debt is not a good way to start a marriage.

There is always going to be the, "what do I want?" vs, "what can I afford?" issue.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,238,124 times
*Gold plated ring (15 bucks for a leaf sheet of gold ) vs gold ring
*Man-made diamonds- much cheaper
*Small ceremony at home

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Weddings, and engagements, should be based upon the means of the couple involved. Anything else is just poor taste. If you have a good income and are just too cheap to buy a nice engagement ring, that's another subject.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
it doesnt have to- if you two as a couple decide,,,to focus your resources on buying a house-then you dont have to do all the costly formalities..

30k??? are you serious??

you can get a notary, or justice of the peace and have a pigroast for the reception,,,for under $500 in these parts..

i think a woman demanding a costly diamond is ridiculous- if the guy has money, thats one thing,,,but to buy a 5-10k diamond ring is nuts...

my god,,,,why start a marriage being 20-50k in debt????

and for those that say it "shouldn't be about the money" exactly!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:49 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,308,274 times
One reason of about 10000 why I'm never getting married. Soooo many better uses for my money.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,556,700 times
I think what drives up the cost are family obligations, i.e., the parents are invited to their friends and other relatives weddings, so they must reciprocate. As you add people to the guest list the cost grows. We've been invited to a friend's daughter wedding and I happen to work at the same place as the groom. I believe they are footing the bill themselves, so it looks to be a low cost wedding (dessert reception at the church). I applaud them for not going into debt for it (I was hand delivered the invitation at work).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships