Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,001,571 times

Advertisements

...but in dateability, I'd rate him an 8 or 9! He's a good person, smart, funny, does not hate women, has a job, kind but not wimpy...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,915 times
Quote:
Does that surprise you?! Everybody, man or woman, tries to obtain what they perceive to be best, no matter what "it" is.
Someone left me this rep but didn't sign it. I wanted to respond to it, but since I don't know who sent it, I'll just respond here.

No, it does NOT surprise me. Not in the least. It's actually exactly what I thought was happening lol. What surprised me is that there's data to back it up. Go OKC!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,629,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Very interesting stats collected by OKC.

"2/3 of male messages go to the top 1/3 of women", so if you're a cute or "average"-looking woman, the men responding to you are going to be in the bottom 1/3rd of men (i.e., the "ugliest").

I wonder if this is why men complain so much about not finding dates? If this data is correct, it seems the majority of them are going after women who are "out of their league" and not even trying for "cute" or "average" women.

The article also discusses how men and women respond and send messages based on perceived attractiveness.

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends
My opinion is this. Same guys who hit on 5 women for one night are the guys who will send a hundred messages (or even more) when they try to find an online date. As a rule of thumb, those guys are generally into "scoring" and even if they are only a 5% of guys in an online dating network they'll effectively strangle most potential relationships. Why? Because lots of women will have their inbox filled up with a portion of guys who send messages to LOTS of recipients. Those women will thus disregard many of the messages because they'll be tired or unwilling to invest so much to read them - and the guys who invest little to spam are at advantage. They successfully suffocated all other folks and there's a huge possibility that the woman will call out one of those guys who spam other women's inbox.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
My opinion is this. Same guys who hit on 5 women for one night are the guys who will send a hundred messages (or even more) when they try to find an online date. As a rule of thumb, those guys are generally into "scoring" and even if they are only a 5% of guys in an online dating network they'll effectively strangle most potential relationships. Why? Because lots of women will have their inbox filled up with a portion of guys who send messages to LOTS of recipients. Those women will thus disregard many of the messages because they'll be tired or unwilling to invest so much to read them - and the guys who invest little to spam are at advantage. They successfully suffocated all other folks and there's a huge possibility that the woman will call out one of those guys who spam other women's inbox.
You're exactly right! At least you are based on the article. That's exactly what it said.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Phew. That's NOT what I thought you meant by "inbox", and I was ready to moderate the heck out of it, or move it to Fashion and Beauty.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Phew. That's NOT what I thought you meant by "inbox", and I was ready to moderate the heck out of it, or move it to Fashion and Beauty.
Haha

Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikala43 View Post
phew. That's not what i thought you meant by "inbox", and i was ready to moderate the heck out of it, or move it to fashion and beauty.
rofl.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
Naw, this is just PUA paranoia.

We are smart enough to tell the spammers from the real people. And when we have too many emails to open them all, we put a note in the text of our profile that says 'I only open mail with the word artichoke in the subject line', or some such. This weeds out guys who can't at least skim the text.

Me, I am excessively polite, so I put in a whole list that says, if I didn't reply to your email it's probably for one of the following reasons. Then listing stuff like: absurdly old/young, looking for threesome with wife/gf, thousands of miles away, obvious mental illness, etc.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,282,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Very interesting stats collected by OKC.

"2/3 of male messages go to the top 1/3 of women", so if you're a cute or "average"-looking woman, the men responding to you are going to be in the bottom 1/3rd of men (i.e., the "ugliest").
I don't think this is necessarily true. This assumes that the "ugliest" 1/3 of men aren't sending messages to the prettiest 1/3 of women. I seriously doubt that this is the case. More likely that, subtracting scammers, 2/3 of men are primarily interested in scoring a hottie and that the other 1/3 is made up of men who are either insecure, willing to settle, or are interested in something other than physical appearance. I don't think this necessarily implies a significant correlation between men having these traits and their physical appearance. I guarantee that there are plenty of Lewis Skolnicks and Gilbert Lowes among the 2/3 messaging the good looking gals.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships