Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,836 times

Advertisements

Very interesting stats collected by OKC.

"2/3 of male messages go to the top 1/3 of women", so if you're a cute or "average"-looking woman, the men responding to you are going to be in the bottom 1/3rd of men (i.e., the "ugliest").

I wonder if this is why men complain so much about not finding dates? If this data is correct, it seems the majority of them are going after women who are "out of their league" and not even trying for "cute" or "average" women.

The article also discusses how men and women respond and send messages based on perceived attractiveness.

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Ain't that the truth. Lol

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times
I have also noticed this happens by age. When I was in my late 20's-early 30's I was literally bombarded by hundreds of messages. They ranged from the handsome to the ugly men. When I did it last time most of those who responded were bottom of the barrel men, like much older, exceptionally ugly and obese and guys with kids (not bottom of the barrel always but my profile stated "no dads"). I would contact men around my age who were like me never married, childless and professional and most either rejected me or never responded.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
Quote:
"2/3 of male messages go to the top 1/3 of women", so if you're a cute or "average"-looking woman, the men responding to you are going to be in the bottom 1/3rd of men (i.e., the "ugliest").
Your logic is flawed. There is nothing in that statement about men's looks, or the quality of the men messaging a given group of women.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have also noticed this happens by age. When I was in my late 20's-early 30's I was literally bombarded by hundreds of messages. They ranged from the handsome to the ugly men. When I did it last time most of those who responded were bottom of the barrel men, like much older, exceptionally ugly and obese and guys with kids (not bottom of the barrel always but my profile stated "no dads"). I would contact men around my age who were like me never married, childless and professional and most either rejected me or never responded.
Yep, if you look at the photos of the women in the article deemed "beautiful" they are most def in their early to mid 20s.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Your logic is flawed. There is nothing in that statement about men's looks, or the quality of the men messaging a given group of women.
Nila, do you seriously think that men who deem themselves a "5" or over are going to message women they think is under a "5" if 2/3rds of the men are only hitting up the top 1/3 hottest females?

The article also depicts graphs and goes into more detail about this.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Yep, if you look at the photos of the women in the article deemed "beautiful" they are most def in their early to mid 20s.
Sadly older women are deemed ugly as they age which is a shame. I have no doubt it's one of the reasons I failed with online dating because I am seeking a man like me, but the men like me are seeking younger pretty women. Meanwhile the guys mostly contacting me were the ones most women don't want.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
if 2/3rds of the men are only hitting up the top 1/3 hottest females?
But they aren't. It may well be that every guy, including the very hottest guys, message two hot women and one average woman. That would fit the statistics you quote.

Quote:
Nila, do you seriously think that men who deem themselves a "5" or over are going to message women they think is under a "5"
My experience is that men's self-ratings are ALL over the map. I know very handsome men who consider themselves ugly, and vice versa.

I also don't know many women who care much about looks. Or money. To many women, a '10' is a guy withing 5 years of her age who isn't sexist and values love as much as sex.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Those guys they deemed as ugly though were not would actually be better looking by far from most of the men who contacted me. I'm not big on looks but if a guy looks like Frankenstein or Quasimodo (as many of the men did)he's not going to appeal to me.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
but if a guy looks like Frankenstein or Quasimodo
I totally know a guy like that and he thinks he's a 6. He said so. I did not comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships