Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,307 times

Advertisements

I frequently see this phrase in the criteria for calculating the amount of alimony:

"To maintain the standard of living established during the marriage"

I would imagine that these laws were made by people with a modicum of intelligence but logically this makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The standard of living established during the marriage is based upon two people pooling their incomes and also sharing resources. When the partnership is broken up the standard of living of both parties is lowered because neither party as a single entity can afford the lifestyle that they could afford jointly.

Given the above how does it make sense for one party to maintain the standard of living of the other? This would naturally mean that one party would have to become even poorer at the cost of the other party maintaining his/her standard which seems extremely unfair.

This makes no sense to me so perhaps I am missing something? Comments?

In addition, why is the marital standard of living some sort of unalienable right? People's standard of living change all the time - they lose jobs, an emergency arises that increases their expenses etc. etc. Divorce is also a change in circumstance which brings with it a lower standard of living, why is it viewed by the courts as an exception for the spouse who has lower resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
There shouldn't even be laws of government involvement in divorce, let alone marriage. I believe if a couple is going to divorce, they should just part ways without involving the biased courts.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
That's because when the idea first arose, the overwhelming majority of marriages involved men working full-time and women being at home, often for the entire duration of the marriage.

It's something that's probably fated to go the way of the dodo eventually.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Generally speaking, the past financial contributions of both partners to the household, plus the expected income of both partners is taken into consideration. If your partner supported you through college and med school and, esp. if she gave up other opportunities to do this and if these foregone opportunties are lost forever or require substantial education or re-training to access, then you are screwed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships