Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,096,900 times

Advertisements

This is really heartening to hear, please keep the examples coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,669,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
LOL she has just experienced trouble and wants to go for it again? People truly keep making the same mistakes.
LOL, a poster who thinks that a person who got divorced must have experienced trouble. Here's a news flash for you. Not everyone who decides to get a divorce had a bad marriage. And not everyone thinking of dating after a divorce is looking to get married again.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,096,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
LOL, a poster who thinks that a person who got divorced must have experienced trouble. Here's a news flash for you. Not everyone who decides to get a divorce had a bad marriage. And not everyone thinking of dating after a divorce is looking to get married again.
I definitely don't plan to. I'm glad to take all the romance and companionship without any of the dirty socks to wash.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,151,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
A friend of mine is about to finalize her divorce. When she got married, she was in her late 20s. Now she's in her 40s. She never had kids, has a stable career, and is parting with her husband on good terms. While she's in no rush to start dating again, she knows that she'll eventually want to be in a relationship again. She asked me what to expect as far dating goes. Being a never-married male in his 30s, I told her I probably wasn't the best person to answer her question. But here's some of what I offered.

You'll meet more men who've been married before, many of whom have kids.

A lot of the men will no longer be in the best shape.

Many will be jaded about relationships.

Many will not be interested in you because you're over 40.

A lot of younger men might pursue you wanting to live out their cougar fantasies.

Basically, most of what I could come up with was negative, but I'd rather not paint such a discouraging picture. I was trying to find some positive things to say, but it was hard. Sure, a lot of men will like that she doesn't have kids. And she's still fairly attractive, though I'm sure some men will consider her a bit overweight. They'll also like that she's financially stable and that she doesn't come across as angry or bitter about her divorce.

So help me out here. For the folks over 40, particularly the women, what would you say to my friend about the realities of dating after 40?

If she is a HOT 40 it shouldn't be a issue. But if she is a overweight ran down looking 40 then it maybe a little challenging

Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,669,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Partly, it will depend on her skill in finding and seeking what she wants, rather than passively waiting to be found - the latter may work, but limits the selection to those who contact you.
This is true in any age group. Being passive rarely gets what you want in life. I know a lot of still think it's unladylike to make the first move and ask a man out. But sitting back and waiting for someone to find you could result in a lot of waiting.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
FBJ

I can only imagine the requirements of women when a guy is in his 40's

Must have a House..................apts are not acceptable

Must have STABLE job...............unstable jobs are not acceptable

Must have A1 Credit......................bad credit is not acceptable

LMAO

Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,958,243 times
I would tell her that it's a cesspool out but that she has to wade through the crud to get to the cleaner waters.

I would encourage her to take some time out and be alone for a bit.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,916,004 times
It depends to be honest. I did have a hard time with men online but found men offline. For me though it is a bit harder because I am never married, childless and wanted the same. I refused to settle though and found what I wanted.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,179,597 times
It's a real mixed bag, IME. I was widowed at 46 and, like your friend, childless (by choice, in my case) and financially stable. First guy I dated was 5 yrs older, met him at church, and he had older kids. But he freaked me out! Way too intense, too fast. Plus, it just felt weird to be going out with someone. Second guy was also about 5 yrs older, met him through a friend. He had 2 grown kids too, but it just didn't work out. We lost interest. Bachelor #3 was younger by 6 years and had 2 younger kids. I met him at a club. Bachelor #4 was also younger by 7 or 8 years. Never married; no kids. I met him at a club.

Observations on my dating experiences above:
* They all lasted about 2 months. That seemed to be the length of time it took me to determine that they were or weren't worth continuing to see.

* The guys I met at clubs were younger. Hmmm, I just noticed that. Interesting. The others were older. Even split of 2 younger - 2 older.

* Most of the guys I met had kids.

* Every one of those guys had baggage. I don't mean that in a bad way, but they either had kids, ex-spouses, or some really bizarre background that explained why they didn't have kids (desertion from the El Salvadoran rebel army -- seriously). Well, okay, some of the baggage was the "I don't want to have to deal with this guy's baggage" variety, but not all of it.

* I had no interest in online dating. I wasn't actively LOOKING for a relationship. I was just enjoying the company and experiences, so there was no reason to actively hunt. If I met a guy who was interesting enough to date, I'd consider dating him. But I was much less interested in dating (and dating them) than they were.

* Dating was awkward, just because I was out of practice.

So all that was in the course of a year. And then ... BAM! Met a guy, fell madly in love, can't live without him. Dating him is the easiest thing I've ever done. Go figure.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
It depends to be honest. I did have a hard time with men online but found men offline. For me though it is a bit harder because I am never married, childless and wanted the same. I refused to settle though and found what I wanted.

Wanted the same???? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships