Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,097,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Only if there is some baby powder sitting within hands reach
Hmmm, when I head south I think the smell of baby powder would be a turn-off. Probably because I used it on my kids butts...that would be all I could think of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM

111 posts, read 660,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, actually I don't, my husband loves ME not all the outside frou frou crap that so many feel is the most important part of a relationship/marriage.
Thinking like this causes lots of us to lost all respect and care for our physical self and relationships suffer.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Yes and no.
I'll never be healthy, so that's kind of a non-issue for me. I will try to stay as healthy-ish as I can possibly be, but I have my good and bad days.

As for the outside, I know I have more surgeries in the future, I know I'll have to get a hip replacement in the next 10 years so really I can only do so much to stay 'pretty' for my hypothetical partner. By default he would have to like something other than my 'outside' for a relationship to work, which is probably why I've been single for so many years.

So, an obligation to try your best? Yes. But it should be to make yourself happy, not your partner. You can't expect someone to love you when you don't love yourself.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,940,309 times
I think the OP is just fine, as long as you're partner has the same freedom, and as long as you were honest about it before you make or made any long term commitments. However, if someone worked very hard to make themselves attractive, and then after they got married, let themselves go, then its deception and trickery.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,071,023 times
Yes. No one should let themselves go. They could dress a lot more casual, sweat pants is no problem (not everyday) but if you want your partner to remain attracted to you, don't let yourself go. A relaxed approach to diet and exercise is ok, though. Relax, but not so much people will say "he / she really let himself go."

Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,034,029 times
Nobody is obligated to do anything BUT if you start to look like Jabba the Hutt and dress like The People of Walmart, don't be shocked if your spouse loses interest.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,028,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Do you believe that a married man or woman has an obligation to try really hard to look their best for their partners? For example, not letting themselves go, exercising/dieting regularly, and wearing attractive clothes instead of trying to look like a slob (sweatpants and baggy shirts)?
Without reading any of the other replies, I think you are focussing completely on the wrong thing. It is not that my wife has an obligation to try really hard to look her best for me, it is I have an obligation to accept her for how she is. And the same goes for her.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,579,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Without reading any of the other replies, I think you are focussing completely on the wrong thing. It is not that my wife has an obligation to try really hard to look her best for me, it is I have an obligation to accept her for how she is. And the same goes for her.
Stop with that nonsense. You wouldn't accept her if she became 600 lbs.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,028,734 times
First you said,

Quote:
Stop with that nonsense.
Then to prove you know your nonsense you said,

Quote:
You wouldn't accept her if she became 600 lbs.
While morbid obesity of that magnitude does exist, examples are outliers. If you need to prove your point by referencing such an unlikely scenario, it speaks to how fundamentally flawed your argument is.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Do you believe that a married man or woman has an obligation to try really hard to look their best for their partners? For example, not letting themselves go, exercising/dieting regularly, and wearing attractive clothes instead of trying to look like a slob (sweatpants and baggy shirts)?
An "obligation"?? Ummm...no, of course not. Some people really don't give damn what they look like, nor do their partners. Others are. We're all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships