Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Books like ''Marry Him'' shamelessly pander to career-minded women seeking the perfect man. Is it really better to settle?

Marry Him is a book by Lori Gottlieb that espouses the "shocking" idea that women should stop looking for Mr. Right and "settle" for Mr. He'll Do.

What's Wrong With 40 And Single? - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I read a book that complains that there are not any "good men" left anymore for these women that devoted their energies to their careers, instead of finding a partner. Perhaps the problem is setting their sights far too high?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
The way I see it, a mature woman (or man) at any age is going to know that there is no such thing as "perfect," only "perfect for me." Same goes for worrying about what other people think. Far too many people listen to their buddies without considering that a character flaw that drives one person batty might not irritate someone else at all.

If more people realized this stuff, there wouldn't be such a thing as "settling."

Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I read a book that complains that there are not any "good men" left anymore for these women that devoted their energies to their careers, instead of finding a partner. Perhaps the problem is setting their sights far too high?
The "no good men" syndrome is women pricing themselves out of the market in two ways:

A) They spend their youth "having fun" and focusing on career. By the time they're looking to settle down they've squandered their sexual market value from being the proverbial village bicycle. No many wants that unless he's looking for a quick lay. Forr having kids men want women who are as chaste as possible. Virgins would be the ideal because they have no other frame of reference and lack a desire to seek out something better. In other words, the sluttier a woman was in her youth, the less trustworthy she'll be perceived when it comes to paternity and her ability to stick by a man. And it turns out our instincts are right--studies have found solid link between women who had a plethora of sexual partners in their youth, and marital dissatisfaction.

Men are waking up these days to how slutty women have become. If it wasn't for loose moral standards and easy access to vaginas this whole hookup culture wouldn't exist as widely as it does today.

B) Women are innately hypergamous. The higher up the food chain a woman goes, the fewer men there are above her to marry up to. Women marrying down is about as common as older women settling down with much younger men. It does happen, albeit rarely. And this aspect is going to get worse before it gets better as fewer and fewer men even find parity with women. For every 100 men that get a college degree at 22, 185 women do the same. Women are outstripping men in college educations big time and the job markets will soon reflect that. What highly successful women are facing today the average college graduates will be facing tomorrow in this regard.

Last edited by Nutz76; 02-26-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
More and more people ARE single and over 40 and there is nothing wrong with having that option.

I know 3 guys age 43-44 who are single (one is gay for sure). I have a female friend 41 who is not married, and another 42, and another 43 also all unmarried. (one of these females is 'rumored to be gay' I don't know..).

These are all normal, happy people who have full lives--just no partner.
They have degrees, jobs and are not 'wackos' or 'losers.'

Out of our old college group, only 4 of us are married. (2 of the men, 2 of the ladies). I married at 26, my male friend #1 married at age 27, the other 2 were 29 when they got married.

That's it.

I bet 20 or 30 years ago the percentage married would have been higher. I guess either more people are 'gay and open' or opting out of getting married.

My sister in law is happily single. She's 41 years old and very nice, very kind, not weird, not unattractive.

I'm glad more people 'are opting out' instead of 'just marrying' to 'be like everyone else.'

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
But--what makes a man of a lower social standing, income, or education level not "good"? That is the question they need to ask. What's wrong with starting a relationship with a guy because he's a decent guy?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:02 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But--what makes a man of a lower social standing, income, or education level not "good"? That is the question they need to ask. What's wrong with starting a relationship with a guy because he's a decent guy?
It's because (and I am reaching here) a lot of relationships where the woman has more education or a better job do not work out. Men feel threatened and it causes problems. So, yes, a woman doctor marrying a male video clerk might happen but it is not common.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times
And a lot of men like to "take care" of a woman--provide for her. If she is independent and can take care of herself on her own, what is his perceived value in a relationship with her?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's because (and I am reaching here) a lot of relationships where the woman has more education or a better job do not work out. Men feel threatened and it causes problems. So, yes, a woman doctor marrying a male video clerk might happen but it is not common.
I wouldn't go so far to place blame on either gender. It's more to do with basic human nature. Men and women are different and what triggers desire is not the same in the genders. Give this a read. It's a great insight on the topic of hypergamy which a lot of people probably haven't even heard of before.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
And a lot of men like to "take care" of a woman--provide for her. If she is independent and can take care of herself on her own, what is his perceived value in a relationship with her?
He's cheaper than batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships