Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM

85 posts, read 159,387 times

Advertisements

when you're in the middle of an argument with your SO, do you say things you later regret? How bad does it get?

Do you curse? Do they curse? Do you call each other names? Do you yell? Do they? Do they become angry and break things? Do you?

When you're in a world of hurt and you feel like your partner no longer cares about your feelings or you, how do you speak to them and how do they respond to you? Do you both take space? How?

Does a few days to cool off set things straight? Does the silence make it worse or better? How can you communicate with your partner in a way where they understand what's causing you pain, what do you both do together to resolve the issues or does it continue happening?

I'm in a relationship with someone and it seems like from day to day we're together then we break up. It feels like a yo-yo break up. He calls me names, curses at me, demands me to do things on the spot or else, and then says he is sorry he was just angry. I feel like all the love has left our relationship and it's run its course. But we're both holding on to some degree...for what I don't know.

As horrible as it seems, I may be emotionally attached to him because I'm used to the emotional abuse. But that doesn't mean I like it or that I want it. It just means I have a harder time letting go than most people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
HOW two people argue and resolve them is an extremely good indicator of if a relationship will last.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
We (my ex and I) hardly ever argued. When we did it was about money and we didn't FIGHT, it was mostly me saying "hey, we should/shouldn't do this...look at the bad position we are in" and him saying "ummhmmm". Then all would be well for a long time until I couldn't pull money out of my rear end and I'd say something again. It came up in our divorce therapy, the fact that it drove him crazy when I talked about the budget. It was actually on his giant list of "things I don't like about ceece". I guess we just were not meant to be and were both good at avoiding conflict.

I can only remember yelling and screaming maybe 4 times in 30 years, and it was me yelling at the world in general out of frustration, nothing was directed at him or anyone else. Once I ripped a tv off the stand and out of the wall socket with one hand because my other one was in a cast. That was the source of my frustration and the tv got it because it wouldn't work. LOL.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie stix View Post
when you're in the middle of an argument with your SO, do you say things you later regret? How bad does it get?

Do you curse? Do they curse? Do you call each other names? Do you yell? Do they? Do they become angry and break things? Do you?
I don't curse, I don't call names, I don't raise my voice. Growing up around crazy sort of teaches you how to be non-reactive around angry people. If you do that, chances are they will become calmer too.

However, I will permanently terminate the relationship if they ever get physical, since sometimes keeping calm makes people more angry.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
I don't say things that I don't really believe.

The meanest thing I ever said to someone was, 'I knew from the day I met you that you hated yourself, but I never imagined you had a REASON'.

And I stand by it. It's true, although I am sad that I said a hurtful thing. I had just caught him behaving abominably, to multiple women and other people in his life.

More typically, I just say stuff like, 'I am really angry that you broke my vase' or whatever. I don't call names or say mean stuff, normally.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
My conflict style is typically to shut down with hurt feelings. I had an ex who made fun of me for crying. He was a real keeper.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
It came up in our divorce therapy, the fact that it drove him crazy when I talked about the budget. It was actually on his giant list of "things I don't like about ceece".
What, you are just never supposed to mention money, ever?

Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My conflict style is typically to shut down with hurt feelings. I had an ex who made fun of me for crying. He was a real keeper.
That's horrible.

I wonder if the same thing was done to him, when he was little.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
What, you are just never supposed to mention money, ever?
Lol, not talking about money is a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Lol, not talking about money is a recipe for disaster.
Inorite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships