Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's wrong with me. It has nothing to do with the guy at all. He can be great but it's like I would still get nervous if things start going further than expected.

I'm 24 years old and some of my female friends are already getting engaged. Some even have kids but when someone asks me when it will be my turn, I always say ''Maybe later, I'm not ready yet''.

But to be honest, that conversation freaks me out. I don't want to even hear it. The idea of being stuck with the same guy permanently gets me wondering ''What I get bored suddenly, one of us changes, what if I become ugly after having a child, what if neither of us were meant for each other'' and the list goes on.

I had to dump an ex bf once because he wanted it to go further than just dating (he was crushed and wanted to know why I didn't feel the same but I had no answer). I just couldn't. I don't know why. This is a topic I do my best to avoid. Unlike many woman who can't wait till the day they get married and have children, I dread that topic. To me this feels like going to a funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times
Well, are you unhappy in your life? Do you WANT more? If you're happy the way you are, why bother to change?

My mother didn't want to marry. But her family pressured her about becoming an old maid and all her friends had gotten married and she felt utterly isolated. So she married my father. Yeah, she got me out of the deal, but also a 25-year marriage of misery.

A single woman TODAY doesn't necessarily end up feeling the way my mother did or face the same social pressures. You have options.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrufflesK View Post
I don't know what's wrong with me. It has nothing to do with the guy at all. He can be great but it's like I would still get nervous if things start going further than expected.

I'm 24 years old and some of my female friends are already getting engaged. Some even have kids but when someone asks me when it will be my turn, I always say ''Maybe later, I'm not ready yet''.

But to be honest, that conversation freaks me out. I don't want to even hear it. The idea of being stuck with the same guy permanently gets me wondering ''What I get bored suddenly, one of us changes, what if I become ugly after having a child, what if neither of us were meant for each other'' and the list goes on.

I had to dump an ex bf once because he wanted it to go further than just dating (he was crushed and wanted to know why I didn't feel the same but I had no answer). I just couldn't. I don't know why. This is a topic I do my best to avoid. Unlike many woman who can't wait till the day they get married and have children, I dread that topic. To me this feels like going to a funeral.
Nothing is wrong with you. I agree with your views.

I'm a 24 year old normal guy and I have no desire for the American family model in my life. I think there are a lot of people who believe like us but won't express it for the reason that it is not a popular viewpoint and in some parts of the country, it will make you an outcast.

It seemed like everyone in their 20s in Louisville, KY was married with children or seeking. That is why I got the hell to Washington, where there is little pressure for making a family.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM

426 posts, read 559,210 times
put this worry on hold for another 6 years then u might be ready to answer their questions.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,679,793 times
You will know when you are ready!! No worries!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM

354 posts, read 518,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRXMan View Post
put this worry on hold for another 6 years then u might be ready to answer their questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
You will know when you are ready!! No worries!
I agree on both. I never even thought about dating seriously since I reach 38! My reason though is I hate drama especially BF dramas ugh spare me. Plus I'm a loner.

When I met my husband, I just feel so comfy with him especially when he touches me and I loathe touchy/feely guys so I knew he's the one. At least before I got married I became a serial dater for 2 yrs. which is a pain.

Most especially found out sex is over rated. My husband said it himself to me today and I said I agree - sex is over rated.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,734,114 times
Do you want to get rid of this fear?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
I think it is important to remember that a wedding ring and children are very much optional and NOT inevitable with a mate, as long as you both are on the same page. You can love someone for a while without the need of a marriage license.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,963,524 times
Quote:

Like a funeral? Lol! No, it's true. Hahaha!!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,305,687 times
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with you. Plenty of women dont want to get married or have a family. IMO as long as that is your choice and not something influenced by failed relationships, bad men, or your parents (divorce/bad relationship), than that path is perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships