Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,319,477 times

Advertisements

Love at first sight may have a biological basis - The Washington Post

hmmm-I never thought love at first sight was real-anyways an interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I have always believed that it is real.

Thanks for sharing, I will read it.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post

That's an interesting article. What I would like to know is *why* I like the people (in my particular situation, person) I do (and it was the so-called "love at first sight" thing too, so this whole thing applies very particularly to the situation). The article says (regarding animals) it's who they're "genetically compatible with". If it does in fact translate into people, then what does this mean? And particularly what does it mean for me?

I'm aware of the whole attractive hypothesis regarding attraction other people have for "good-looking" people and the genetic basis of that theory (something along the lines of that if they appear more "attractive" they will likely be more healthy and provide more healthy offspring). Aren't most people familiar with that idea?

What is really aggravating for me is that this theory doesn't apply in my situation; if it did, I would just say, "Oh, he looks good so I'm attracted to him because I think he can provide me with healthy children. Alright, I can understand that." But according to most objective opinions I have found, this person doesn't look "good", he looks rather sickly to most people! So why, why, why, why, why, why, why why????????????????? do I find him attractive? [this is a problem which has been irritating me for quite some time, perhaps that might be clear; nevertheless I apologize for the moment of psychotic-ness (or would the word be "psychosis"? I don't know--it didn't sound right)].

So then do I want sickly children? Is that what I'm suppose to gather from all this? I don't know. As I said, it's been bothering me for so, so, so long (Apologize for the incredibly self-involved post; there's likely no answer to it. I was more or less just venting).

Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,074 times
I don't think the article proved love at first sight. It only proved attraction at first sight. You're less likely to fall in love with someone that you didn't give a chance because you weren't initially attracted to them. However, there are plenty of cases of friends falling in love over time, too.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I don't think the article proved love at first sight. It only proved attraction at first sight. You're less likely to fall in love with someone that you didn't give a chance because you weren't initially attracted to them. However, there are plenty of cases of friends falling in love over time, too.
100% correct!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
I agree with the more interaction you get to know a person.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Interesting.. some people I first meet them, I instantly feel comfortable with.. some people not so much. Maybe it's also very subconscious on top of the biological factor, and other times, I question had I met this person at another time of day or another place would I still feel the same? Likely so.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,272,076 times
I stopped believing in love at first sight years ago. However, one of my favorite professors in college married a man who fell in love with her at first sight. They were together until he died. She followed a few years later.

I've definitely felt connections at first sight. The guy I'm interested in right now really struck my fancy and I was just so curious about him because there was just something so beautiful and charming about him. I assumed he was married and thought, "I hope his wife knows how lucky she is." Now if we could only get past our nerves and actually go on a date! (He doesn't have a wife.)

Anyway, this is the part of the article that I felt was most relevant: "In one study on friendships, people who enjoyed the first few minutes together were likely to develop a close relationship after nine weeks."

I've definitely had some very good friendships where we connected immediately and nothing had to build. It was just an instant connection.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I've definitely felt connections at first sight. The guy I'm interested in right now really struck my fancy and I was just so curious about him because there was just something so beautiful and charming about him. I assumed he was married and thought, "I hope his wife knows how lucky she is." Now if we could only get past our nerves and actually go on a date! (He doesn't have a wife.)

I hope one of you works up the nerve. You don't know how lucky you are that you actually found someone you think is charming, beautiful, and interesting that is actually within a physical distance from you (and apparently available).

Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post

Of course it does. It's nature's way of getting us to breed. Not a bad thing, but as the article mentions, it doesn't necessarily mean the relationship is going to last. Being in love usually lasts about 2 years before the practical realities of real life intervene. If people can't agree on those practical realities, then love dies on the vine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships