Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,887,901 times

Advertisements

All I read here is how it's always the other person's fault. Rarely are things in life so one sided. So, what responsibility do you take over your failed relationships? Post how you may have contributed to a relationship going downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,621,139 times
When I was in my early 20s, I was in a relationship with an attractive young woman for 3 years. She ended up cheating on me, and that was the end of it, but i never blamed her for cheating. It was my fault, because obviously i didnt do it for her in the bedroom department. If I did, she would never go astray. Its all in the past and a good learning experience.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,526,718 times
I definitely own up to my failed marriage, at least my part in it. No question I could have been a better husband. Even though I did the right things, I could have been better, but I got comfortable, lazy and selfish. I know the only way for me to get better not only as a partner in a future relationship, but more importantly as a person, I have to take ownership of things I could have done better and learn from them.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,819,901 times
I do.

In my case, I think we are both at fault for different reasons.

My Ex husband is bi (I think he's gay, but that's just my opinion and not what he says. All his lovers are men though). Anyway, he was bi before we were married and cheating on me with men when we are engaged (I didn't know) and he continued to cheat into our marriage. Eventually he left me.

For my part, I turned a blind eye. I let myself only see the good in him at first and I let his ways become habit. I internalized my pain, didn't talk to him and in time I turned bitter. I wanted to be "a good wife" and figured if I kept trying hard enough, he would stop cheating and we would be happy. It took years, but I dare say I became bitchy towards him in time--internalizing it was poison for the soul. Finally, in the final months of our marriage I couldn't hold it in any more and all that came out and I finally confronted him on his ways.

When he left me he said it was because I had changed. And he was right, I did. I was no longer happy passive woman, I was calling him out on his infidelity--but in a way that was bitter. I am not saying what he did was excusable or not wrong. If he didn't cheat on me I never would have turned that way. BUT I should have spoken up as sooner as I found out about his sexuality--if I had, who's to say we couldn't have gotten counseling earlier and fixed the problems instead of letting them grow. Or maybe we would have split up earlier and been able to move on with our lives sooner. I should have confronted him then. By letting the problems sit and sour, it did no one any good.

I figure I have a lesson learned from it--albeit the hard way. Speak up and discuss problems early on. Don't let them fester and don't be a door mat. It does no one any favors and could ruin a relationship.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 AM

10,184 posts, read 20,825,841 times
In some of my relationships I wasn't a very good communicator. In my twenties and early thirties I was immature at times and didn't always handle adversity in relationships with a lot of patience. When all they needed was for me to just shut up and listen, I would still try to defend myself, and we'd go round and round. I can be stubborn at times, even today.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,850,727 times
People should understand that sometimes they are crazed jerks who do not appreciate what they have - Yes....all people are responsible for the failure of marriages and relationships...There are really few reasons to divorce other than habitual physical and mental abuse of a spouse...We all make mistakes but few of us learn from them.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,316,394 times
Im bat sh*t crazy and own it every day. Some of my failed relationships were completely my fault, others were only a percentage.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM

39,341 posts, read 27,744,099 times
When I was younger, I played a lot of games with my ex boyfriend. I was insecure but I made it HIS problems.

I learned a lot from this relationship. I will never play games with any guys anymore.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,427,259 times
I wouldn't say I failed at my past relationships. I just realized we weren't compatible long term, so I ended the relationship.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,179,166 times
Today, at this very moment, I am taking 99.9% of the blame. I would say 100% but he would probably disagree. It feels like 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships