Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM

706 posts, read 1,204,980 times

Advertisements

Can a dominate/alpha male treat women with respect?

What I mean by this is, can a man wear the paints in the family/relationship but have respect for his wife/ gf's views, opinions and person rights?

I'm curious about what men have to say and what women have experienced.

Last edited by kat247; 07-03-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM

39,203 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I think the definition of Alpha male is highly subjective. I don't believe in labeling.

But in my experience, if a man needs to be right all the time, he has problems respecting everybody around him, including women in his life.

I've dated a guy in college who had this kind of mentality. "either my way or the high way." At the very beginning, he was intriguing to me. But after a while, it gets tiring. I don't think he was rude, obnoxious, or disrespectful, but I do believe he has some self esteem and self image issue he cannot resolve. Although he was a college athlete, incredibly handsome, deep down, he was just a scared child who needed constant approval from the outside world.

I don't get along well with self taught know it all. They annoy the hell out of me.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
If a women also demands respect from her alpha man, he can/will respect her.

If she lets him walk all over her, its equally as much her problem as it is his.

Beta males are equally as capable of treating women poorly-trust me, I've dated my fair share.

Last edited by findly185; 07-03-2013 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
I think it depends on how you define an alpha male. If the definition is one who runs rough shod over others without regard for feelings or sensitivities, then by definition, no. On the other hand, it is entirely possible to be a type-A personality, decisive, fill the traditional husband/father/head of the home role, and still value his wife's input. I basically described myself. I don't make any big decisions without asking my wife what she thinks. Her input has saved my bacon more than once. A smart man has a smart wife and if he's smart he'll listen to her.

As a side note, I'll gladly acknowledge that some of the other male posters here would not consider me to be an alpha male (Probably because I have a lot of respect for women). That's fine, I really don't need validation from others. I am a strong-willed man in a healthy and happy marriage. I know how to lead and I know how to follow. Define "alpha male" however you like. I'm content to be a "happy male."

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM

39,203 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
What I mean by this is, can a man wear the paints in the family/relationship but have respect for his wife/ gf's views, opinions and person rights?
Absolutely. A man can be a provider, a man's man (whatever that means. ), strong, without being arrogant, aggressive, or rude.

A very secure man respects other people's opinions. A strong man respects women. Anybody who believe they are always right have self esteem issues. And this kind of people should be avoided at all cost.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Any man can treat women with respect. But respect is earned, not assumed because of what you have between your legs. This isnt gender specific, and applies to men as well. When i meet someone new, my assumption always is that they are worthy of respect. Their actions from that point on, tell me if my assumption was correct or not, and i adjust my actions/attitude/opinion towards that person based on that.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:

Yes. Being dominate/alpha does not have to mean a-hole. It can mean assertive, confident, intelligent, and persuasive.

Think of some great leaders throughout history. Not just in the U.S. but even world leaders or ancient rulers. MANY of them all had a wife who stood by and supported them, that they also treated with respect and dignity.

Alpha does not have to mean a-hole, and it also does not have to mean disrespectful.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM

706 posts, read 1,204,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Absolutely. A man can be a provider, a man's man (whatever that means. ), strong, without being arrogant, aggressive, or rude.

A very secure man respects other people's opinions. A strong man respects women. Anybody who believe they are always right have self esteem issues. And this kind of people should be avoided at all cost.
Do you think that SOME men that ACT or exhibit dominate/alpha male tendencies are mostly insecure on the inside but show the world a mask of confidence?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:

As others have said, it depends on your definition of alpha male.

Traditionally, an alpha male is a confident leader, good listener, honest, skilled, has a presence that fills a room. Think CEO-type person.

If you consult the urban dictionary, an alpha male is a guy who has to be the centre of attention, acts tough, loud. Basically a cocky, young punk who thinks he's someone important in his own mind.

A true alpha male absolutely treats everyone with respect.

My boss is the urban dictionary definition of alpha male but thinks he's the traditional kind.

Last edited by Katnan; 07-03-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
How a man treats his woman has no bearing on whether he is an alpha male or a beta male. If he loves and cares for her he will treat her as she wants to be treated. The whole world can think he is one thing and a certain way with people, but with the woman he loves he can be totally different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships