Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a lame question, but I'm wondering what other people talk about on a first date or if you are meeting someone from the internet for the fist time.

As for me, what I can think of:
-Food likes in general or what restaurants you like or want to try
- Work - just a little
- Where we have traveled or would like to
- Very little about any past dating experiences if any at all
- Where you're from, how long you have lived where you're at
- Where you like to go out
- your living situations - alone or with roommates or relatives
- Cooking
- Siblings or Family in general
- your work schedule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
I consider it a red flag if someone doesn't want to talk about past relationships -- or if they can't talk about anything else!

Are you looking for a serious or casual relationship? If serious, ask her about her longer-term career plans and life goals.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Ask her about the things that attract you to her that have nothing to do with looks or sex. There are some, right? . Cool stuff she has done with her life, hobbies she has that you want to learn about (but don't fake this; it will come back to bite you on the a**), what she studied in school...

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM

64 posts, read 193,093 times
Medical history, Credit Rating, Criminal Record, Politics, and Religion.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Let's see....the last first meeting, me and the dude talked about absolutely everything. From Star Trek, to D&D, his MBA course, his job, my job, coworkers, family, random irritants, beer we liked, food we liked, what we wanted out of a relationship, what we were looking for in a potential partner on and on and on. The conversation flowed quite nicely and we never really had any awkward silences, I mean, we both have 29 years of experiences and opinions to talk about so silence seems ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I consider it a red flag if someone doesn't want to talk about past relationships -- or if they can't talk about anything else!

Are you looking for a serious or casual relationship? If serious, ask her about her longer-term career plans and life goals.
I thought it's considered to be a turn off if you talk about past relationships on a first date. I can see talking about if you have recently gotten out of a relationship, you should say that, but I don't see the point of bringing up your past relationships given that a lot of first dates won't turn into anything serious, even of that's what you are looking for. I would wait to see if there is any chemistry first or at least interest in a 2nd date.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
I usually open with a knock knock joke.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Ask her about her education, work, why she chose the field she's in. What she likes about her work. Family, where she's from. Hobbies. What kind of music she likes. There's so much basic stuff to cover just to get to know each other and find out if there's anything you have in common, I see no reason at all to discuss past relationships. That's more for the 2nd or 3rd date. First you have to find out if you have enough in common to sustain a conversation, and whether there's at least a preliminary fit personality-wise, enough to warrant a 2nd date. Why would past relationships come up at such a preliminary stage?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
- work (how you got into your current field/what you like or hate about it, what you'd do if money wasn't an object)
- travel (last place visited, dream vacation, etc)
- last book read
- food (nice to figure out for future dates if they have any food allergies or aversions.)
- hobbies, what to do for fun.

My first dates/meetings tend to be the proverbial "meet for an hour and have coffee" or "meet for a drink at happy hour". I view it as an opportunity to see if there's any initial chemistry, and if i have enough in common to pursue a friendship or relationship. Mainly, I'm looking for someone who is career-driven, interested in travel and brooding their horizons, adventuresome eater, interested in art/culture, with some shared hobbies/leisure activities. We don't have to have everything in common (how boring would that be?) but someone who was content to work a dead-end job and had no interest in traveling outside this country would not be a good match for me, for example. Also, I have a high-demands job with long and unpredictable hours, and I know this would make me a very bad match for a lot of people.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Well, my first date with my SO was at the Natural history museum and we were at the section where it was comparing the pelvis of the human being to the ape and the differences and pros and cons during childbirth.

The ape has a wider birth canal making childbirth much less painful. Jokingly (but for real) I was like what are they talking about? Eve ate the apple and offered the forbidden fruit to Adam and here we are today having painful childbirth!

Some lady was looking at me and shaking her head and saying a bunch of crap under her breath.

Look, he got the real me that day and he has kept me ever since, so I guess I did ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships