Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Women don't tend to directly approach. They tend to send signals to encourage you to initiate or communicate interest some other indirect way.

How often have you picked up on that & not felt interested enough to act on it?
Does it frequently go over your head (ie. perhaps a friend has to point out a woman is sending signals)?
How obvious were the women you have noticed those signals from?
I don't recall ever being given any sort of signals, nor had anyone point them out to me. Women pretty much always seem like they just want to be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times
I've brushed off quite a few attempts and when I was younger/totally clueless I was blind to clear signals of interest from girls I would have loved to get to know better. It's easy to shut down a woman most of the time just by either faking being busy or telling her what a good friend she is. There was this one time when a girl had absolutely no clue or respect for personal boundaries. I had to be a little "firmer" with her. My only female creeper story.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
.01% only because I don't get involved with married women, or women looking for a serious relationship.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
Quote:
Women don't tend to directly approach. They tend to send signals to encourage you to initiate or communicate interest some other indirect way.
I honestly was not expecting so many guys to say they've never been approached directly. It's still a very small sample, but the early trend supports what you are saying.

Quote:
How often have you picked up on that & not felt interested enough to act on it?
This is hard to quantify because I rarely picked up on signals. I did a couple times and responded, but nothing ever came of any of those.

Quote:
Does it frequently go over your head (ie. perhaps a friend has to point out a woman is sending signals)?
Yes, absolutely. Especially now that I am married. A couple times my wife has told me a girl was trying to flirt and I was just oblivious to it. Usually it is a service worker of some kind, and I always assume she is just being polite because it is her job.

Quote:
How obvious were the women you have noticed those signals from?
The few times that I actually did pick up on it, it was always classmates in college. Frequent eye contact during class, making sure she was in my discussion group, making sure she made small talk with me before and after class. If a girl did those things enough times I could put the clues together.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,780 times
The girls approached me a few times. That was so unexpected and I had no time to turn them down. Besides, I'm not so rude to do that.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
Since women rarely come straight out and ask it's really hard to say. I don't think I've ever explicitly turned a woman down but there are plenty of times where I've "extricated" myself out of situations with an interested woman in whom I wasn't interested with varying tactfulness. And there have been times where I have misread blatant signals of interest.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,249 times
i don't think women approach very often unless given clear signals their advances will be well received. at least compared to (some) men, who will approach with much less encouragement and who have acquired the ability to shrug off rejection

i'm fairly successful at dating but have only turned down a few women, and i think it's because i just don't seem very approachable to women i'm not attracted to

if i got hit on as much as some women i know (whom i consider roughly "equal" to me in desirability) i'm sure i'd be turning down gals left and right

even when there's mutual attraction, i usually wind up approaching women before they approach me. so i've rarely either turned down or accepted the advances of women, even though i've dated a lot

Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,992 times
I turn down 99% of them and have since grade school, frankly. I get approached often enough, although less so now that I am getting older and more people this age are taken, have different schedules and so on. And I don't do tarts. Not afraid of committment, it's just a lot of work.

I am sorry for those who don't get approached, but the concept that women never make the first move that you read so often on this board, it just isn't true.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I am sorry for those who don't get approached, but the concept that women never make the first move that you read so often on this board, it just isn't true.
I've speculated that some women actually do approach men, but since it's never happened to me I wasn't sure. That certainly doesn't do my confidence levels any favors, though.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,603,692 times
Probably around 90%, for all types of different reasons. Some women have come up to me and were more than upfront by saying things like "lets go to my house" or "if you live in the neighborhood, I want to see your place". I believe younger women, who live in the more progressive places like a big city, tend to approach a ton more than women living in the sticks of rural america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships