Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 PM

8 posts, read 7,453 times

Advertisements

My boyfriends is very high in his company, and the only way for him to continue moving up is to move to a new store... He is considering moving on the east coast... he is from texas and has lived in over 8 different countries.

I however, am born raised, louisiana..... ive never lived anywhere but in the same city my entire life... i went to college, right down the road from my family at LSU. my entire family lives here. We southerners dont do change well... we stay in the same place.. I however, do not want to end up this way. i want to live places and see the world. but, telling my parents i am going to be moving away with my "boyfriend" potentially 2000+ miles away from them, is not only going to devastate them, but break their heart and disappoint them to a point im not sure if they will ever come back from.

me and my boyfriend have an AMAZING relationship. His job allows us to live the life we want. I have an OK job, not in the field i want. He pays for majority of our bills, he has already offered me 100% for everything, if i quit my job, he will pay for everything, so finance for me isnt the problem, plus my job pays me well and i have money saved up, so having to come back if this doesnt work isnt an issue.....

I just need help with my family issue... my dad mainly... I dont know how to tell them " hey, ive met the man i am going to marry, and we are moving 18 hours away, to a city where i dont know anybody." ....

please help... experiences... advice... anything!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Get married first.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 AM

8 posts, read 7,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Get married first.

this is the plan, but we want to take our time.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Get married before moving.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkidinh View Post
My boyfriends is very high in his company, and the only way for him to continue moving up is to move to a new store... He is considering moving on the east coast... he is from texas and has lived in over 8 different countries.

I however, am born raised, louisiana..... ive never lived anywhere but in the same city my entire life... i went to college, right down the road from my family at LSU. my entire family lives here. We southerners dont do change well... we stay in the same place.. I however, do not want to end up this way. i want to live places and see the world. but, telling my parents i am going to be moving away with my "boyfriend" potentially 2000+ miles away from them, is not only going to devastate them, but break their heart and disappoint them to a point im not sure if they will ever come back from.

me and my boyfriend have an AMAZING relationship. His job allows us to live the life we want. I have an OK job, not in the field i want. He pays for majority of our bills, he has already offered me 100% for everything, if i quit my job, he will pay for everything, so finance for me isnt the problem, plus my job pays me well and i have money saved up, so having to come back if this doesnt work isnt an issue.....

I just need help with my family issue... my dad mainly... I dont know how to tell them " hey, ive met the man i am going to marry, and we are moving 18 hours away, to a city where i dont know anybody." ....

OP: if you love him, accept his offer and marry him! There is nothing sadder than when a true and very special, unique love, like you and he share together, is lost...

If you marry the man that you love, I am sure that in time, your parents will come to understand and accept your decision

Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Get married before moving.
I agree 100% with srjth

Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkidinh View Post

Do what will make you happy. They'll get over it because over time they'll realize that it's your life. Don't do what will make them happy. You may never get over it because then you wouldn't be living your life. Getting married would probably alleviate whatever your family, particularly your Dad, may have about you "leaving" them.

[no regrets]

Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 AM

213 posts, read 377,051 times
If your boyfriend wants to be with you bad enough, he'll marry you first.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
You are an adult correct? Then live your life the way you want to live it and move with your boyfriend. I would suggest getting married first though (but I am a firm believer in marriage and many are not). If you have been together for a while then there is no reason not to get married (my opinion only) instead of "taking your time".

Otherwise stay where you are to please your parents.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
My wife was in the same situation when we met.

Shortly after getting married my career path took a turn and we had to move 7 hours away from her family. It was difficult at first for her because of how close she is with her family but she and her family adjusted.

We have been married over 10 years now and her parents both say that they are glad my wife got out of their very small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships