Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM

580 posts, read 966,882 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with this site?

for men who are recovering from relationships with abusive women and the non-abusive family and friends who love them | Shrink4Men

What do you think about it? Is male abuse a real thing? I invite both women and men to weigh in.

(I have a feeling life might do some crazy thing to me now that I'm saying this. I told someone once that I felt lucky that I didn't have wisdom teeth. Sure enough one ruptured through my gums over the next couple of days I said that.)

I consider myself lucky to have never experienced a full on abusive relationship but I have gone through some kind of thing where the person I was "friends" with seemed to be a little controlling. I mean she only called when she needed something like a dust pan or a bandage. (Of all the people to call when they just slit their wrists it had to be me. That pretty mush ended it for me. Its also a very long story that I'm not going to get into.)

Anyway, what do you think? I understand that there are people (both male and female) out there who can be cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,110,430 times
I'm failing to see how calling you when she needed a dustpan or bandaid is controlling?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,575,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
Is anyone familiar with this site?

for men who are recovering from relationships with abusive women and the non-abusive family and friends who love them | Shrink4Men

What do you think about it? Is male abuse a real thing? I invite both women and men to weigh in.

(I have a feeling life might do some crazy thing to me now that I'm saying this. I told someone once that I felt lucky that I didn't have wisdom teeth. Sure enough one ruptured through my gums over the next couple of days I said that.)

I consider myself lucky to have never experienced a full on abusive relationship but I have gone through some kind of thing where the person I was "friends" with seemed to be a little controlling. I mean she only called when she needed something like a dust pan or a bandage. (Of all the people to call when they just slit their wrists it had to be me. That pretty mush ended it for me. Its also a very long story that I'm not going to get into.)

Anyway, what do you think? I understand that there are people (both male and female) out there who can be cruel.
Yes, it is real. VERY real.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,650,527 times
Guy just do not talk about it a lot of times we hide it.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM

43 posts, read 189,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm failing to see how calling you when she needed a dustpan or bandaid is controlling?
It isn't controlling. He's either leaving out A LOT of info.. or he has issues himself and wants to put the blame on others.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,225,092 times
Of course men can be abused. And of course they should have someplace to turn to to deal with everything. However, I fail to see your story as being abuse. I know you said you left a lot out - but it's sort of like me saying, "My husband is an awful man. Sometimes he asks me to buy him stuff at the store. And he turned to me when he was upset. That pretty much ended the marriage. I'm leaving a lot out."

Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,609,304 times
No it's not, men don't have feelings and are never depressed. If we feel down we just drink and punch each other until we feel nothing.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM

62,010 posts, read 87,675,913 times
@tonylu: Is male abuse a real thing?
Yes, very much so. Please read here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/22431940-post12.html

Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM

The thing with the band-aid was sort of a short occurrence. One night while I was on my walk she called asking if I had a bandage because she had just slit her wrists. I was extremely worried so I asked a guy
I was hanging out with if he had a band-aid. He gave me one of the non-adhesive gauze patches because it was all he had. When I took it to her she gave it back because it was the wrong type.

As for the dustpan. The first time she ever called me was to borrow a dustpan. I brought it over and cleaned her patio. The second time I did this she paid me so I guess that wasn't so bad. Honestly these two things weren't that big if deal to me. What happened after was kind of off putting though. We went to a bar a little later. We had a few drinks and her friend showed up. They were going to a different bar with other friends or something. Either way, I felt a little put off by this (maybe my issues with this was that I wasn't invited?)

I think I included that part because I was thinking of these things people do in the early stages of certain relationships called "**** tests". (I'm sorry about the use of language.)

They talk about it on this internet radio thing from the same blog:

http://www.shrink4men.com/2012/03/20...il-****-tests/

It seemed like she was doing a couple of these tests on me for whatever reason. Not a general control issue completely or an issue of her controlling me but still. It did feel like I was only being being called because she needed something from me. When I think about it now I think it is possible that I might have been overreacting and my own issues caused me to feel a little put off by the whole thing.

When I typed the original post out I might have gotten my thoughts completely jumbled and disorganized. I really have to learn to think before I post. The story in the middle was probably supposed to be part of some kind of sub-topic about this testing thing. If I offended anyone I'm sorry.

Last edited by tonylu; 07-24-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
@tonylu: Is male abuse a real thing?
Yes, very much so. Please read here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/22431940-post12.html
Wow. I didn't notice the topic was discussed before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships