Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 PM

72 posts, read 65,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Oh yes I have.

Statistically however women are the victims 90% of the time.

Also, we're talking ordinary relationships not the Jodi Arias type of psycho which is the absolute extreme.

I notice no one would turn a hair if Travis had've murdered Jodi. Ho hum...happens every day.

A woman does it and it's headline news, she's lower than a child murderer even though she is not dangerous to anyone else, had a motive, etc.
Sorry, but the bolded is just plain FALSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 01:10 PM

412 posts, read 546,229 times
Of course male abuse is a real thing.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Men put themselves in these situations, and stay in them, no matter what red flags are being waved, for only one reason.....a hot female. Whether it's because they don't think they can do better, or are just overly stimulated by her physical properties, the bottom line is that men ignore common thinking when a woman's "hoo hoo" is the guy's "best ever". I can understand when a guy meets a woman, and leaves because she shows abusive qualities. I don't understand when a man stays and continually takes the abuse. IMO, that guy is an idiot, and deserves what he gets.
That's pretty cold.
I imagine men stay in abusive relationships for the same reasons women do. I don't think anyone deserves to be abused.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:16 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
Is anyone familiar with this site?

for men who are recovering from relationships with abusive women and the non-abusive family and friends who love them | Shrink4Men

What do you think about it? Is male abuse a real thing? I invite both women and men to weigh in..
Why wouldn't it be real?

Old 12-26-2014, 01:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why wouldn't it be real?

The OP hasn't posted in 12 mos, so a answer might be awhile in coming.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:20 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringWon View Post
Did you know that 90 percent of statistics are made up on the spot?

I am a social worker and I have volunteered in dv shelters, as a GAL and in homeless shelters and so on. I know what I am talking about.

There are lots of abused men that never report it and put up with it to be there for their kids.
Why couldn't they get divorced and get custody of the kids?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:19 PM

270 posts, read 283,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why couldn't they get divorced and get custody of the kids?

Exactly! It helps nobody to keep a dysfunctional family together. It may, in fact, impact the kids adversely, and continue the cycle of abuse to the next generation.

In response to the OP, yes abuse towards either gender is real, but those emerging Men's Groups, at their core ultra-conservative, and mentally stuck in the 1950s, do nothing but rile up a section of men who may (temporarily) be vulnerable, emotionally not stable, or just not intelligent enough to adapt to changes in culture and society. They may have good women at their hands, but when conflict emerges (as it always does in any relationship), these men may overreact, misinterpret, sling labels, and flee the relationship, instead of properly differentiating between Internet wisdom and the individual at hand.

Those who are truly abused may find very little solace in such groups. Sure, it may initially soothe the pain, but sooner or later, the real and deeper issue will rear its ugly head, and force you to take action of some sort. And in more times than not, there is a contribution of oneself when you stay in a toxic relationship longer than necessary. This applies to both men and women.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,215,202 times
Quote:
Men put themselves in these situations, and stay in them, no matter what red flags are being waved, for only one reason.....a hot female. Whether it's because they don't think they can do better, or are just overly stimulated by her physical properties, the bottom line is that men ignore common thinking when a woman's "hoo hoo" is the guy's "best ever". I can understand when a guy meets a woman, and leaves because she shows abusive qualities. I don't understand when a man stays and continually takes the abuse. IMO, that guy is an idiot, and deserves what he gets.
The more you post here the more it's obvious that you hate other men with a passion. Do they threaten you in some way?

Old 12-27-2014, 01:27 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
Is anyone familiar with this site?

for men who are recovering from relationships with abusive women and the non-abusive family and friends who love them | Shrink4Men

What do you think about it? Is male abuse a real thing? I invite both women and men to weigh in.

(I have a feeling life might do some crazy thing to me now that I'm saying this. I told someone once that I felt lucky that I didn't have wisdom teeth. Sure enough one ruptured through my gums over the next couple of days I said that.)

I consider myself lucky to have never experienced a full on abusive relationship but I have gone through some kind of thing where the person I was "friends" with seemed to be a little controlling. I mean she only called when she needed something like a dust pan or a bandage. (Of all the people to call when they just slit their wrists it had to be me. That pretty mush ended it for me. Its also a very long story that I'm not going to get into.)

Anyway, what do you think? I understand that there are people (both male and female) out there who can be cruel.
I've seen far more abusive women out there than men (though, not usually physically abusive). Our society encourages such behavior.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,472 times
Quote:
One can say the same about women that get abused. You would never say that though, now would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships