Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,250,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You obviously haven't seen what some women are capable of. Even if a man leaves - that doesn't assure that everything will turn out alright.
Oh yes I have.

Statistically however women are the victims 90% of the time.

Also, we're talking ordinary relationships not the Jodi Arias type of psycho which is the absolute extreme.

I notice no one would turn a hair if Travis had've murdered Jodi. Ho hum...happens every day.

A woman does it and it's headline news, she's lower than a child murderer even though she is not dangerous to anyone else, had a motive, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Oh yes I have.

Also, we're talking ordinary relationships not the Jodi Arias type of psycho which is the absolute extreme.

I notice no one would turn a hair if Travis had've murdered Jodi. Ho hum...happens every day.

A woman does it and it's headline news, she's lower than a child molester even though she is not dangerous to anyone else, had a motive, etc.
If you've seen what what women are capable of then you would know that men can be victims of abuse. I'm not saying it's as common as the other way around - but it does happen. And it's not a competition - just because men can be victims of abuse, it doesn't mean that we are somehow discounting all the female victims.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,146 times
Wow Cinder, I couldn't have believed you wrote that. Women can be abusive. Women have threatened men with guns and knives, telling them not to sleep. Women have chased after men in their cars. Men may be stronger, but they can also be very committed to the family, and the same justifications given by women (I want to keep the marriage for the kids, I don't know where to go) applies to men as well. Do you know there are few shelters for men suffering with DV? Do you know men get cross-examined with the same sexist tripe about their abuse, that women rarely have to suffer? You ain't seen or heard much about life, that's all I can say.

The examples you give are not about abusive men leaving, their about Johnny Appleseed's leaving. Johnny Appleseeds - the guys who plant seeds all over the place and leave for the horizon. A whole generation who has no idea how to be committed in a relationship, how to be a father to children, only encouragement to move on.

Fortunately, there are some men really committed to family. And some men are not willing to leave their kids behind with a hellion of a wife. And fully unwilling to skip out on child support, but encourage and enforce child support from their soon-to-be ex-wives, for their children. Man, get out into the mainstream. So the ten percent can just take a hike - wow. How about we just get rid of abuse altogether, for men and women? The point being made is, men suffer too. And it is a big taboo.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 PM

175 posts, read 202,023 times
Quote:
You're trying to beat up a "hidden problem" but the fact is, any guy is stronger than any woman.

He does not have to tolerate abuse, he can walk away.

He is more likely to have a well paying job, be able to get an apartment, be able to leave the kids behind, be able to skip out on child support.

The idea of men as helpless victims of angry women is just ridiculous really.
That thought process is what's ridiculous.

Abuse towards anyone is disgusting and wrong.

And men can not just walk away in many cases.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM

175 posts, read 202,023 times
Quote:
Oh yes I have.

A woman does it and it's headline news, she's lower than a child murderer even though she is not dangerous to anyone else, had a motive, etc.
Did you know that 90 percent of statistics are made up on the spot?

I am a social worker and I have volunteered in dv shelters, as a GAL and in homeless shelters and so on. I know what I am talking about.

There are lots of abused men that never report it and put up with it to be there for their kids.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 AM

580 posts, read 965,833 times
Quote:
You're trying to beat up a "hidden problem" but the fact is, any guy is stronger than any woman.

He does not have to tolerate abuse, he can walk away.

He is more likely to have a well paying job, be able to get an apartment, be able to leave the kids behind, be able to skip out on child support.

The idea of men as helpless victims of angry women is just ridiculous really.
Its much more than that too. There is the social stigma of leaving the children and not "doing the right thing" as they say. Not to mention the being a deadbeat dad with the child support. With the children, in many cases the children are either just as abused as the father. They talk about how sometimes the abusers will use them as weapons and tools for the abuse. A good father (I'll say mother here too if things were on the other foot) would worry about the children and want joint custody and visiting rights. This makes things even more complicated. DISCLAIMER: I really hope I don't offend anyone with what I'm about to say. Another thing to think about is that many abused men are ashamed of the situation they're in. Since they are seen as the stronger sex, people probably would assume that they won't or shouldn't take that kind of thing from their partners. If they do stand up for themselves or speak up they might run the risk of others might think there is something wrong with him.

This link to a Yahoo! Answers question gives sort of an example of the cultural problems men have to face:

Most guys will help out a girl if she gets beat by a guy but would women do the same? - Yahoo! Answers

The first answer to the question, albeit somewhat inarticulate is something to read.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM

270 posts, read 283,263 times
I know this is an older discussion, but I have been pondering this issue as of lately, and googled around, to come across this thread.

Men can be abused by women, and women can be abused by men. There is no question about it. I have been perusing the shrink4men site a bit, and to be honest, find a lot of the content somewhat....sexist, especially in the comments section. I do believe that abusers find refuge on this site, to promote their "victim" status, and reinforce their misogynistic attitudes towards women in general. Which does nothing but harm those with legitimate concerns and complaints.

Why do we need a site that "specializes" in male victims? Any support forum that is worth a damn will kindly, and with compassion, welcome people (both males and females), no questions asked, no sweeping generalizations and bashing of the other gender going on. The trauma and suffering unites, and fosters discussion. There is no stigma amongst your peers of sufferers, as they suffer with, and relate to each other. In fact, being able to see things through the eyes of the other gender may provide value and insight.

Stigma for an abused father who stays "for the kids' sake", while exposing the kids to either witness the abuse first hand, and/or become recipients of the same? I think in those cases, the real problem should not be the concern for stigma.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,290,755 times
Men put themselves in these situations, and stay in them, no matter what red flags are being waved, for only one reason.....a hot female. Whether it's because they don't think they can do better, or are just overly stimulated by her physical properties, the bottom line is that men ignore common thinking when a woman's "hoo hoo" is the guy's "best ever". I can understand when a guy meets a woman, and leaves because she shows abusive qualities. I don't understand when a man stays and continually takes the abuse. IMO, that guy is an idiot, and deserves what he gets.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:57 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Wow Cinder, I couldn't have believed you wrote that. Women can be abusive. Women have threatened men with guns and knives, telling them not to sleep. Women have chased after men in their cars. Men may be stronger, but they can also be very committed to the family, and the same justifications given by women (I want to keep the marriage for the kids, I don't know where to go) applies to men as well. Do you know there are few shelters for men suffering with DV? Do you know men get cross-examined with the same sexist tripe about their abuse, that women rarely have to suffer? You ain't seen or heard much about life, that's all I can say.

The examples you give are not about abusive men leaving, their about Johnny Appleseed's leaving. Johnny Appleseeds - the guys who plant seeds all over the place and leave for the horizon. A whole generation who has no idea how to be committed in a relationship, how to be a father to children, only encouragement to move on.

Fortunately, there are some men really committed to family. And some men are not willing to leave their kids behind with a hellion of a wife. And fully unwilling to skip out on child support, but encourage and enforce child support from their soon-to-be ex-wives, for their children. Man, get out into the mainstream. So the ten percent can just take a hike - wow. How about we just get rid of abuse altogether, for men and women? The point being made is, men suffer too. And it is a big taboo.
A Friggin MEN...TO THIS! I'll tell ya...I am triple sick of this statistic crap! The reason male abuse BY women is so "rare" is because it is manifested differently, and since it is , primarily, mental and emotional, it is unreported. In this regard, it is very easy for women to abuse the living HELL out of men, but since there are no physical signs, and , last I checked, abuse of this kind is not , technically, illegall.

Amongst men, this is known as being hen pecked, or, in crasser terms, PWd. However, it goes a LOT deeper than that. A woman abuser does the same things a male one does. Cuts the man off from his family and friends ( "IF you love me, you will spend this time with MY family". Etc..) She will make his family and friends into the enemy( "Your Mom hates me, so does all your family, if you love me you will take my side") His friends are all trying to corrupt their relationship, she is a victim and he MUST protect her, and thus ties are cut.

Once the cut is made, then she mist have control of the finances. This is accomplished via he has to trust she has the best interests at heart. Ohhhh...and if kids are involved, she has a weapon of incomprehensible deadliness, which she will use to the fullest. The man, out of a sense of duty and responsibility, will cave to her every wish, and since he has been alienated from his family and friends, has nowhere to turn but her.

These type of women are far more common than you think. In the end, if the man tries to get out, she will financially and emotionally destroy him, aided by a sympathetic court system, that believes this nonsense that this poor woman is a victim. Just because she is a woman. In the meantime, she destroys the man, gets the house, the kids, 7/8s of his income and his soul.

But hey, that's not abuse. He's a MAN! He can't be abused. He should ruck up and get tough. After all, be should have nipped this in the bud, right? Wtfe. I'll tell ya, whenever I hear women squalling about how "abused" they are, and how the "system" favors men, I just want to primal scream! I'd be willing to bet 6 mos pay, that if you stack up the numbers, of men who have been RUINED and beaten to a pulp, not physically. WORSE, alongside all the female "victims", the numbers would be shocking.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 PM

72 posts, read 65,959 times
Is this question a real thing?

Are you so brainwashed by societal programming, OP, that you actually have to ask if men can be abused or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships