Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,174,413 times

Advertisements

To answer your question OP, yes a man can be abused by his gf or wife. Anyone (man or woman) that abuses another person because of their physical weakness, their unwillingness to fight back or morals is nothing but a bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,324,531 times
Men have suffered with emotional abuse/coercion and physical abuse. Guys have had women threaten them by telling them they will kill them when they are sleeping. They kick, they shove, they bite. Its abuse. And it doesn't have anything to do with size. It has everything to do with what a person thinks they can get away with and what they believe will tip the scales in their favor. It ups the ante every time.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 AM

580 posts, read 968,198 times
Kin Atoms, I have been reading about some of the things that you mention in the blog posts on the website I mentioned. There seems to be a vicious cycle that goes on. The lady who writes the articles seems talk about the emotional and psychological abuse that gets involved in the relationship. Although she does acknowledge the physical aspects as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,324,531 times
Guys are not wired to worry about psychological or emotional, though it does get to them. The physical with a great equalizer, well...

Yes, too familiar with it, see it and hear about it regularly.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,276,832 times
She slit her wrists and you offer a bandaid?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM

943 posts, read 1,007,671 times
Default not the bandaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm failing to see how calling you when she needed a dustpan or bandaid is controlling?
re-read it, it was the thing after the bandaid
the ultimate in a mindf*k

Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 PM

943 posts, read 1,007,671 times
I have seen this firsthand, I used to know a couple that were a time bomb, she was so abusive to him, but her excuse was that he deserved it because he was a useless alcoholic.
And of course, he was using alcohol to tune out the evil shrew.
WHY did they stay together? I guess it was co-dependant heaven. But the rest of us pulled away. Who can stand to see two people treat each other like that?
Yes, other stories, of men being abused come to mind but, I'll save it for my novel... Its just sad when two people make a living hell for each other...it could be so different.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM

580 posts, read 968,198 times
The site mentions the hard times people have with their abusive spouses. Of course many of the people they are dealing with also have personality disorders to complicate things. Besides that, some of the psychologists, the courts, marriage and relationship counselors etc. don't or can't do anything because, either they don't really know what's going on, there's social stigma involved or, in some cases because some of the abusers play the victim to get sympathy or lie to get friends, neighbors, even relatives on their side.

Below is one of the craziest blog posts I've read on the site (although I've seen some sick posts and replies.):

Troubling Update on the Colonel Kirk Case | Shrink4Men

According to the article, there are a lot of conflict of interests and things that should have been done that weren't.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,276,832 times
You're trying to beat up a "hidden problem" but the fact is, any guy is stronger than any woman.

He does not have to tolerate abuse, he can walk away.

He is more likely to have a well paying job, be able to get an apartment, be able to leave the kids behind, be able to skip out on child support.

The idea of men as helpless victims of angry women is just ridiculous really.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,275,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You're trying to beat up a "hidden problem" but the fact is, any guy is stronger than any woman.

He does not have to tolerate abuse, he can walk away.

He is more likely to have a well paying job, be able to get an apartment, be able to leave the kids behind, be able to skip out on child support.

The idea of men as helpless victims of angry women is just ridiculous really.
You obviously haven't seen what some women are capable of. Even if a man leaves - that doesn't assure that everything will turn out alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships