Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM

491 posts, read 570,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
But that's the thing. Working out is something most ANY guy can do. 3 years ago I was 5'10" and 165lbs but like a "skinny fat" after taking 2 years off lifting from being stressed for work.

Now, I'm 210 lbs with a very low BF. I'm in fantastic shape. My face is not killer by aby means and I met girls before. Once I got in good shape it did still make a big difference. That's something ANY guy can do. No blaming that on anyone but themselves.

As to chivalry, it's grossly underestimated. I have had tons of girls comment how nice it was when I opened the car door for them etc. Not to mention, the way you treat strangers while youre with a woman as well. Holding the door open for the elderly couple behind you. Being friendly with cashiers, waiters/waitresses, etc. Making people smile is one of the most comforting things about interacting with other people in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
You're right any guy can, but most don't. Actually that can be applied to both genders. Compliments are good and I'm not saying you shouldn't be friendly, but they are useless unless you can get a dates from them. I've done chivalrous things too and got compliments, but that's about it. It's like when a woman calls you cute versus being called sexy ( a huge difference between the two )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,365,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I hear this all the time in forums, online, everywhere.

"All women want are rich men,"

"Don't worry pal you just need to have money + looks blahblah"

So imagine you have $2mil in your bank account and you have a job where you make $250K a year. Explain how that betters your odds of getting dates.

In a nightclub, how do you flaunt your money? I see many instances of guys sitting by themselves with their Grey Goose bottles and just watching everyone else. Perhaps they are rich, perhaps they are faking it. I don't know. All I know is, women definitely aren't approaching them.

Let's say you attend a sports group and play volleyball. How do you flaunt your money? Oh sorry, I just dropped my $100 dollar bill and AMEX Black card while doing a serve...

I would have to say that money has nearly no bearing in attracting a woman (i.e. getting a number, getting dates). However, money has huge impact on retaining a woman (second date, relationship, marriage).
People that say stuff like that are missing the big picture. Yeah, having money can make it somewhat easier for you to get a woman in the fact that you can use it in order to groom yourself (buy hygiene products). You also need money to support yourself (Women love a man who can take care of himself), but in the end, it is not everything. There are quite a few men with a lot of money that are lonely losers.

What you really need is social skills, that is all it really comes down to. Looks can also help, but almost anyone can have good looks if they take the time to find out what works best for them.

And definitely do not flaunt your money, or anything for that matter. That reeks of insecurity

Old 08-03-2013, 11:30 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,365,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It isn't that having money will attract women. It is more that having no money will repel them.
This doesn't seem to be the case in my life.

All I seem to get is women. (no dime to my name...)

Old 08-03-2013, 11:32 AM

13,678 posts, read 9,762,428 times
The benefits of working-out are analogous to the benefits of being wealthy. Both are laudable achievements, yet both are passive advantages. We respect the millionaire for earning, saving and investing his money. Likewise we respect the weightlifter for his dedication to the gym and to proper diet. But I would argue that this respect is more about how men view other men, than how women supposedly lose their senses and find themselves swept up by irresistible urge to mate with the millionaire or weightlifter.

We've seen in this thread how some young men find it to be remarkable that millionaires might be sexually frustrated and devoid of "success with women". The same is true for weight lifters. I would suppose that the astronomically wealthy person, say for example the billionaire (that's "b", not "m") is in such a phenomenal league that by then a substantial subset (though still hopefully a minority) of women really would go crazy in infatuation over his money, and perhaps by extension, over his person. So too with weightlifters... a bulgingly muscular man, with minimal body-fat percentage and the clothing and swagger to flaunt his muscles, would likely also attract a certain kind of woman. But take the merely moderately accomplished weightlifter, who say benches 300 lbs and does 20 pullups; or the moderately wealthy man, who has $1-$2M in equity mutual funds, a paid-off house and a nice pension. His advantages in personal accomplishment over those of the general public are substantial, and yet he is far from the level of distinction of becoming a curiosity and rarity; and this, I would argue, vitiates his supposed advantage in attracting the sort of woman who is attracted to that sort of thing.

The good things that we pursue to improve ourselves ought ultimately to help in our dating-lives as well. Women, if they are not fools, will value the salutary accomplishments in men, both as worthwhile ends in themselves, and as testaments to the man’s good character (perseverance, dedication, seriousness of purpose and so forth). This, one hopes, will help in dating. But at no point can a person (male or female), flush with self-congratulatory accomplishment of having earned the millions or whatnot, climb onto some pinnacle and shout to the winds, “Behold! Fair world, I have scaled your summit and have emerged victorious. Now shower upon me the plaudits that are my due! Women, do not be stingy with your favors, for I have so markedly exceeded my erstwhile peers in deserving them!”

Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,607,538 times
Quote:

So imagine you have $2mil in your bank account and you have a job where you make $250K a year. Explain how that betters your odds of getting dates.

In a nightclub, how do you flaunt your money? I see many instances of guys sitting by themselves with their Grey Goose bottles and just watching everyone else. Perhaps they are rich, perhaps they are faking it. I don't know. All I know is, women definitely aren't approaching them.

Let's say you attend a sports group and play volleyball. How do you flaunt your money? Oh sorry, I just dropped my $100 dollar bill and AMEX Black card while doing a serve...

I would have to say that money has nearly no bearing in attracting a woman (i.e. getting a number, getting dates). However, money has huge impact on retaining a woman (second date, relationship, marriage).
You basically answered your own question: unless they see you roll by in a Lambo or some other isolated incident that gives it away, women aren't going to know. How much money you make or have has little bearing on anything in the short term. That's more of a qualifier for long-term relationships.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The benefits of working-out are analogous to the benefits of being wealthy. Both are laudable achievements, yet both are passive advantages. We respect the millionaire for earning, saving and investing his money. Likewise we respect the weightlifter for his dedication to the gym and to proper diet. But I would argue that this respect is more about how men view other men, than how women supposedly lose their senses and find themselves swept up by irresistible urge to mate with the millionaire or weightlifter.
So true! This is one of those too-sensible-for-CD type posts. A few women will be attracted to someone purely because of their money or their physique, but most women look for intangible qualities.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,607,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So true! This is one of those too-sensible-for-CD type posts. A few women will be attracted to someone purely because of their money or their physique, but most women look for intangible qualities.
You can't fake being attractive I guess is the point. A lot of guys think money will somehow allow them to bypass the necessity to be handsome and charming fun to be around. Your chances of getting laid are far better if you fall into the latter category.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM

337 posts, read 897,894 times
Quote:

So imagine you have $2mil in your bank accsuand you have a job where you make $250K a year. Explain how that betters your odds of getting dates.

Simple really...

1) Networking. You're best friends/"bros" will know your occupation/income, so they'll tell their girlfriends who tell their friends. Not saying gossip, but more along the lines of, "oh hey, what's crosscountrytrip doing nowadays?". Money brings people out of the wood works, trust me.

2) The "he has his sh*t together" vibe. This I think is the absolute most important one in the eyes of early to mid 20s. If you have your own place, car, good job, steady income, you will definitely attract more women. Let's be real, it's easier to go home and tell mom and dad that you're dating a guy who has his life in order than the college grad making ends meet (not that there's anything wrong with that, I've been there).

3) Ability and opportunity. It's a numbers game... the more money you have , the easier it is for you to go out to bars and restaurants and meet people. Simple as that really.

I wouldn't think of money so much as being flaunted, but rather the opportunities and openings it gives you. Obviously, if you're the ugliest guy on the planet but the richest, you probably won't gather many dates besides gold diggers. Conversely, you can be the most good looking guy but the poorest and you probably won't have much an opportunity to worry about women. Money is a supplement to people and it opens doors. Obviously it's far more noticeable when you're young... which most of the people who allege this on the forums are.

Last edited by CrossCountryTrip; 08-03-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,385,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think its necessarily the thought of people thinking if they are in great shape or rich it will be the ONLY thing that women go after.

However for one. Many women want a guy that's career orientated and at least secure financially. Also, many good looking women want a man whos attractive. And the guy whos body is a 9 instead if a 6 is obviously going to put himself into consideration of attractive, athletic, fit women who are looking for a guy with similar hobbies.

Just because a woman finds me being in good shape or succesful, for good women it won't be the onky thing that matters. Over time you can tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,311 times
I've owned 2 Lambos over the past few years, and the majority of young women I meet will pretend at first to not be interested in it. Women are very concerned about their reputation and don't want you or anyone else thinking they're materialistic. But after a while, you can tell they're very interested in it. They'll ask to take photos with the car, ask how much it costs, etc. So yeah, it brings in hot women better than (say) a 1995 Civic (Noschitt Sherlock).

However, some women are actually turned off by it -- there's a stereotype that owners of Lambos are skirt-chasing playboys (which happens to be true in my case but not all guys). Also, some women are turned off by men who would spend that much on a car, or some women are just jealous (libs).

As for the deal with money attracting women... I'd say that money brings in better looking women, not necessarily more women. It brings in materialistic, demanding and immature women who are so good looking that they're probably seeing 3 other guys at once. If you want short-term fun, flaunt your money. If you want LTR, don't show it until you know her motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships