Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,059 times

Advertisements

When you get to the mall don't you have stores of your own that you like? This is how my SO & I finally solved the problem. While I shop for things like nail polish he would spend time at the electronics store/computer store etc then we call each other & meet somewhere when we are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Maybe he wants to spend his free time with his wife. Just not shopping all the time.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Maybe you shouldn't of married.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I like to shop and browse, and my husband doesn't like to as much. So I don't ask him to go "browsing" with me.

It's really simple. I just do it without him and we're both happier. Trust me, he is NO FUN in a womens clothing store! Neither of us wants him there!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I would think most married folks are going to have some separate interests. I can think of a couple of interests my husband has, that I don't care for at all. I think what is dangerous to the relationship, is if either of you allow the interest to come between you. You have to find a point of compromise that you can both live with. It looks like a big red flag in the well-being of your marriage if your wife's interest is that upsetting to you.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
My girlfriend doesn't like bourbon. I don't like shopping. When she goes shopping with her friends, they often drop their SO's off at my house (she calls it a playdate) and we light a bonfire and drink bourbon. It works so well because everyone is happy, yet she doesn't want to do it too much or else the back yard would be reduced to ash, her wooden flower baskets would be turned into firewood, and I would be 300 lbs from all of the grilled sausages that inevitably occur when the bourbon comes out. It is a sort of negative feedback that results in a stable equilibrium.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Why did you choose to marry a woman with a habit that annoys you so much?

Why do you go with her?

Is it possible that this did not used to be so triggering for you? If so, that means what you are really upset about has nothing to do with shopping, or nature.

I am like you; I don't like to shop and mostly buy stuff online. But I don't go shopping with people if I don't want to.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 PM

426 posts, read 558,902 times
I love going shopping its the only time I can hold her purse and control the cash.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRXMan View Post
I love going shopping its the only time I can hold her purse and control the cash.
My husband "follows" me on our debit account when I go shopping. He knows where I've been and how much I've spent. When I get home he says "so what did we buy today?" LOL

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldLight View Post
Yes, but I'm a girl. I hate shopping or looking at things "just because." Spending money actually makes me sick to my stomach. I do the same thing while grocery shopping, I give myself a time limit and try and spend the least amount of time in there. I also walk as fast as possible and I think making it into a contest alleviates the fact I have to shop, if not a little. I also like to shop early in the morning or late at night to avoid people being in the way so I can't race through as easily, haha!

I don't like to shop with people who are "shoppers." I actually get a weird allergic reaction while shopping with my mom, she likes to shop. I feel like I'm going to pass out, or I need to lay down and fall asleep when I first walk in.

I know I'm not a typical woman. I hate "stuff." The older I get the less I want and I want everything to be simple and uncluttered, or to serve a purpose.

I also love nature and being outside. In fact I get depressed if I don't get to go on my nightly "sunset" walk every evening. That is the most perfect moment of the day!
Me too! I'm a girl too and I never meet too many other females like me. I get the sick thing with shoes a lot. I just cannot bring myself to buy shoes. I married a man who is a shopper and loves shoes. He was really bad with shopping and spending when we first got married but thankfully he's pulled back as we get a bit older. I'm someone who is frugal and can work with what I have. For example, my desk chair cost $60 and I accumulated it before we got married. His is well over $100, it's his 2nd since we've been married, and he wants to replace it again with another that is over $100. It is worn out some, granted, but for some reason he just goes through things where as I can just make things last. When something is broken or maybe requires some effort, he just prefers to buy a new one, where as I prefer to try to fix it or make it work.

I used to cringe when he'd spot a Best Buy. One afternoon we had to go to every shoe store in the mall. I too hate dealing with people. If I have to shop for clothes (because all mine have holes LOL) I try to go in off-times. Saturday afternoon shopping is the WORST.

I too hate "things" and clutter. If I have things, they usually have meaning, are gifts from someone special, etc. I don't have something that is just a knick knack that is there to just take up space. If something is on a shelf, it has a meaning or a reason.

OP - I love outdoors too. I get depressed if I can't regular hike, bike, etc. But I do relate. Luckily my husband doesn't have a lot of time to shop anymore and he doesn't really LIKE to do it a lot. But I guess people have their hobbies and people like different things. It's hard to relate to someone with a hobby like that though, I can understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships