Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,355,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
its because you have to be a fine-looking man
Or so I thought...

Half of the ladies that had the hots for me sense the 6th grade would beg to differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,733,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Nice packaging on the outside is fine and dandy, but if the content inside is not to my tastes,
I'm not going to be interested and bother getting to know the person further/intimately.

Indeed, factors other than raw physical attraction form the bases of lasting relationships. However, the OP is partially correct, in that first-impressions are substantially based on physical appearance, at least among the young. A favorable first impression lasts until there’s strong evidence to the contrary, and an unfavorable one requires much additional interaction to overcome.

Persons with difficulty making a favorable first impression will struggle in dating, as in all human relations. Fortunately, as others have said, an attractive appearance is only one part of making a good first impression. And its importance declines with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I'll take a faithful & loving 7 over a cheating guy who looks like a 10.
This is eminently true. If we’re going to reduce people to numerical scores on their appearance, then indeed a “7” with stellar qualities of character and intelligence is going to be preferred to a “10” lacking those attributes. But what about a “4”? or a “1”? At some point, unappealing physical appearance does become a strong impediment to forming a relationship. So again I’m going to acquiesce that the OP is partially correct, in that it is counterproductive to deny that a “5” male will not take interest in a “1” female.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,896,723 times
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Some one ate my last mike and ike's!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,376,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Indeed, factors other than raw physical attraction form the bases of lasting relationships. However, the OP is partially correct, in that first-impressions are substantially based on physical appearance, at least among the young. A favorable first impression lasts until there’s strong evidence to the contrary, and an unfavorable one requires much additional interaction to overcome.

Persons with difficulty making a favorable first impression will struggle in dating, as in all human relations. Fortunately, as others have said, an attractive appearance is only one part of making a good first impression. And its importance declines with age.
I don't disagree with your stipulations^

from Daniel Kahneman's 2011 book "Thinking, Fast and Slow":
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
pg.83: "The sequence in which we observe characteristics of a person is often determined by chance.
Sequence matters, however, because the halo effect increases the weight of first impressions,
sometimes to the point that subsequent information is mostly wasted."

Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,622,617 times
I have no problem admitting that initially physical attraction is very important. Very difficult to get excited about someone that you are not pleased with looking at.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 PM

230 posts, read 315,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
My first gf was not someone I considered hot. In fact, she was average at best when I met her. We became friends for about 6 months or so, and I eventually asked her out cause she was fun, and I liked her personality.
We were together for about 18 months.

It happens.
but, this was when i was in college and online dating was not used much to my knowledge at the time.

But these days, it does really seem that looks are a very strong driving factor, especially on cold approaches. Being classy and having convo for the sake of having convo is becoming more rare. It is hard to chat with someone that isnt interested in you as a potential s/o, meaning they find you attractive.

Only through social circles and networking and family and sometimes jobs can a 'slow buildup' of attraction occur.
It seems harder than ever, but it may have always been this way. Hard to say unless you hop in the Delorian and check out 1983.
This is totally how it happened with my current relationship. I must admit - he's the hot one and 6 years younger than me. I know he wasn't attracted to me at first when he started working with me. But after several opportunities to get to know one another at happy hour outings with the co-workers, the small talk increased and sparks began to fly. We started dating about 5 months after he started working with me.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM

230 posts, read 315,704 times
And .. even though I found my guy attractive immediately, I didn't think we'd be compatible the first few times we chatted. So even though he was obviously good-looking, his physical features took a back seat once I got a feel for his personality. It wasn't until we got to know each other a bit more and warmed up to one another that we hit it off. So, no, I can't imagine falling in love based on looks or looks being extremely important.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Everyone's physical criteria for attraction differs greatly. What one may find physically appealing another may not.
A person's appearance can be a 'hook' of sorts. A person who takes care of themselves and has pride in their appearance often draw onlookers, no doubt.

I was introduced to someone and I dated him. He was good looking, extremely well off and we went on a vacation out of the country early in the relationship. However, after we boarded the plane to come home, I got up and changed rows about 6 away from his. I could not stand one more second with him. It was winter, around Christmas, and our plane landed close to midnight. The airport was about 45 minutes to an hour away from home. It occured to me we drove my car to the airport. I couldn't stand one more minute of the guy and said adios at the airport and left him to his own devices to find a way home.

This man's personality and attitude trumped anything and everything else he had to offer. Your theory is one of inexperience and flawed.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,381 times
Looks might draw you in initially but once they open their mouth it doesnt take long for them to be the ugliest person youve ever met

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 AM

11,805 posts, read 12,047,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
I know. That's my point. It's hard for me to be in love with someone because that would require them being sexually attracted to me.
You need to be in a relationship where loving feelings grow over time to being "in love". You don't become "in love" by being attracted to someone's external appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships