Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

Straight out of high school.

That's how it works around here, and if you don't, you're screwed, and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
the age you feel ready..?however i thought once at 19 i was ready to get married (i'm a woman) thank god i didn't

but my dad is like 60 and he's still not ready (bastard) so you may never be ready

Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
the age you feel ready..?however i thought once at 19 i was ready to get married (i'm a woman) thank god i didn't

but my dad is like 60 and he's still not ready (bastard) so you may never be ready
"Bastard!"

Lol!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:16 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
About 33 is just right- and of course the woman must be exactly 10 years younger- By the time your kids are grown you will be pushing 60...and by the time you are 50 your wife will not be menopausal and you can still get sex...she will only be 40 and that is sexy.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

That's how it works around here, and if you don't, you're screwed, and not in a good way.
I wonder if this is common in small town/poor/religious communities? Over in my neck of the woods it's nearly the same. If you don't have kids after 25 there seems to be an aura of shame people place on you if you let them.

I've only heard of more progressive cities where people wait until the 30s to start families, since your 20s are spent getting an education and getting to know yourself and having fun before buckling down to all that responsibility. Supposed to make the ease of settling down to raising a family much more satisfactory (in theory mind you)... I was raised on this alone and was dumbfounded when everything was happening the opposite.

Who wants to be a single/divorced parent in your late 20s+? I'm starting to see some of the young love birds split up and already seeking the next "true love" and it's a pain to date when they've seem to have more life experience because they rushed things too early.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
About 33 is just right- and of course the woman must be exactly 10 years younger- By the time your kids are grown you will be pushing 60...and by the time you are 50 your wife will not be menopausal and you can still get sex...she will only be 40 and that is sexy.
Wow I see you have given this much thought! Guys have the big advantage in this department because you don't have the ticking biological clock...my son is 26 and has no interest in settling down...on the other hand his girlfriend is 28 and wants marriage and kids like tomorrow...she is barking up the wrong tree with him...

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

That's pretty much how it worked where I grew up. I went back for my 10 year High School reunion last summer and I think I was one of maybe 5 people who weren't married/divorced and had kids. Granted, we're all pushing 30, but most of them had kindergarten through jr. high aged kids...they actually had a separate 'reunion' the day after in the park because there were so many large families and kids involved. I wasn't invited to that one

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
I wonder if this is common in small town/poor/religious communities? Over in my neck of the woods it's nearly the same. If you don't have kids after 25 there seems to be an aura of shame people place on you if you let them.

I've only heard of more progressive cities where people wait until the 30s to start families, since your 20s are spent getting an education and getting to know yourself and having fun before buckling down to all that responsibility. Supposed to make the ease of settling down to raising a family much more satisfactory (in theory mind you)... I was raised on this alone and was dumbfounded when everything was happening the opposite.

Who wants to be a single/divorced parent in your late 20s+? I'm starting to see some of the young love birds split up and already seeking the next "true love" and it's a pain to date when they've seem to have more life experience because they rushed things too early.
I lived in Hardin County, Kentucky which is a rural and military community for one year when in my early 20s. I might have been one of maybe 5 or 6 people there who was in my 20s who wasn't either married, divorced, or had a child. Then I moved to Louisville and totally by accident got involved in the Southern Baptist/hardcore Christian crowd there. I may have been the only one in church some days who was single. After two years in Kentucky, I hauled a*# to DC where I feel totally comfortable being a bachelor. Also I stopped practicing organized religion since it seems to not be a place where I can feel comfortable as a single childfree guy.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I lived in Hardin County, Kentucky which is a rural and military community for one year when in my early 20s. I might have been one of maybe 5 or 6 people there who was in my 20s who wasn't either married, divorced, or had a child. Then I moved to Louisville and totally by accident got involved in the Southern Baptist/hardcore Christian crowd there. I may have been the only one in church some days who was single. After two years in Kentucky, I hauled a*# to DC where I feel totally comfortable being a bachelor. Also I stopped practicing organized religion since it seems to not be a place where I can feel comfortable as a single childfree guy.
Among my friends, I was one of the first to get married and I was 28! I had my first child at 35 and most of my friends started around the same time.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
if you meet the right person, you both feel the same way about each other, and youre both financially stable you should probably commit to her within a few years. i dont think the age matters, but the older you get the slimmer pickings there are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships